• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I haven't been to the dentist in a year, so this is freaking me out.

S

SummerSunshine

About a year ago, in the middle of a pandemic, I got a tooth infection, and since my usual dentist office was closed, I had to go to another one, and I had to get the danged thing pulled because they quoted me 3k for a root canal. Nope, no thank you.

I guess the previous dental work for the filling caused the infection. Anyways, the tooth beside it also had a filling, they were both done in December 2017, so 3 years ago, and I'm now freaking out because part of the filling broke out or the edge of the tooth chipped off. Ugh.

So, what can I expect at the dentist for this? This had been my first ever filling and though I really can't afford it, I'm going to have to go in before it gets worse. But I hated going through the filling and actually preferred going through an extraction :cry:

Depends how badly it's failed, it might be an easy repair to stick another bit of plastic on or the filling may need replacing. Sorry to be so vague but it's a rather un-answerable question without seeing the problem.

It turned out not to be that simple.

She gave me two options, Root Canal or an extraction. I cannot afford a root canal, so unfortunately, I'm scheduled for next week to take it out. She could've done it today, but I wanted to wait until after Easter so I wouldn't have to restrict my diet during the weekend.

I wished I could afford to save it, but it wasn't an option, and unfortunately, the wisdom tooth next to it also has to come out someday, so when it does, I'll have no back bottom right teeth/molars. So I'm guessing I'll have to save up for something to put there, bridge, partial dentures? I don't know the term and I'm not interested in implants.

It turned out not to be that simple.

She gave me two options, Root Canal or an extraction. I cannot afford a root canal, so unfortunately, I'm scheduled for next week to take it out. She could've done it today, but I wanted to wait until after Easter so I wouldn't have to restrict my diet during the weekend.

I wished I could afford to save it, but it wasn't an option, and unfortunately, the wisdom tooth next to it also has to come out someday, so when it does, I'll have no back bottom right teeth/molars. So I'm guessing I'll have to save up for something to put there, bridge, partial dentures? I don't know the term and I'm not interested in implants.

Sorry to hear it wasn’t the answer and simple solution you were looking for. Hope all goes well at your appointment.

Just an update!

I just had it out like an hour and half ago! The worse part as always, was the numbing shot. It felt like my lip was being pulled off at one point, but it was over in seconds! But the actual tooth only took maybe less than 2 minutes to come out, so it was very simple, so my wallet is happy!

I just have to take Tylenol every 6 hours to keep inflammation down, but she said it went very well and she doesn't see any complications to happen as long as I follow post-op instructions!

Well
Done! Congratulations for getting through it and going. So glade it was quick and over and done with pretty simply. Sorry to hear about the shot but remember you got through it! Hope the recovery goes smoothly

Well
Done! Congratulations for getting through it and going. So glade it was quick and over and done with pretty simply. Sorry to hear about the shot but remember you got through it! Hope the recovery goes smoothly

The numbness just now wore off. It's throbbing a bit, which I know is normal, and I have to wait another 3 hours before I take take another dose of Tylenol.

Glad it went so well! Fabulous news! Can you take ibuprofen? I find it helps me do much more than Tylenol. I hope you heal quickly! ?

Actually, assuming you don't have any big stomach issues, then good old Aspirin is one of the best pain killers for dental pain.

I've actually have been having some stomach issues that I'm trying to get under control. The Tylenol did help.

I'm still taking it for inflammation just for today and that'll be it. No pain of any kind today.

I've actually have been having some stomach issues that I'm trying to get under control. The Tylenol did help.

I'm still taking it for inflammation just for today and that'll be it. No pain of any kind today.

Glade to hear no pain! Hope it’s healing well.

Glade to hear no pain! Hope it’s healing well.

Still a little bit of pain, and it'll be a week tomorrow that I've had it out. Just mostly when I get up of a morning and just before I go to bed for some reason. But nothing really that a little bit of Motrin can't help :(

Back