• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I haven't been to the dentist in four years and I'm really worried..

K

kayjay

Hi guys, I'm 21 and haven't been to the dentist since my senior year of high school because of insurance reasons. When I went in high school, I had no cavities or anything. They basically just told me my teeth were crowded (never had braces) and to brush better. They also said I need to start flossing.

A couple months ago, I felt like my gums on my bottom teeth are receding. I don't know if this is true or not because I'm a very anxious person. So I might just be looking for a problem here. Anyways, I started googling and convinced myself I have periodontal disease. Since then, I started brushing better. My gums at the bottom would bleed a little bit but now they don't really bleed and if they do, it's a very, very small amount in one area. I've never flossed regularly before but now I try to floss at least once a day. There's also no blood when I do floss, so hopefully that's a good sign! A couple days ago I started using mouthwash for the first time (I hate it because it literally makes me nauseous). The taste is becoming more bearable and starting to burn my mouth less.

In addition to the *maybe* receding gums, I feel like two of my bottom teeth are shifting. It feels like they're moving forward. There's no pain, just like a dull ache. This also brings me into my next problem, for the past couple months I think I've had sinus issues. I have this pressure under my left eye and a dull ache in the top of my mouth in the back (in addition to the bottom two teeth). I googled this, and all signs point to sinuses. The problem is, I never had a sinus issue like this and its been happening on and off (mostly on) for months. I take sinus medicine and it doesn't help at all. So now I'm convinced it isn't even sinuses and it's something more serious like gum disease.

In about a week, when I get some extra money, I'm making a dentist appointment. I'm not scared to go, I'm scared of them judging me for the condition of my teeth (I have crooked teeth). I researched dentists in my area and feel that I have a really good one picked out. Now i'm just anxious about what they will say and what's wrong with me.

Can anyone give me reassurance and tell me I'm overreacting over all this? I'm constantly thinking about my teeth and looking at them and creating new problems in my head. :( Please help!

Hi There Kayjay,

Firstly it's great that you have started to look after your teeth and most importantly you don't have much bleeding now, do keep brushing, flossing, and mouth washing (make sure you buy a no alcohol one, then it shouldn't burn.) it will stop all together in time.
Chances are you have had some gum disease by the sounds of it but you're doing the right things to prevent it getting too bad. Maybe things aren't as bad as you fear, we tend to imagine the worst possible scenario.

As for your sinus problem I'd see your GP to get a diagnosis, if it's sinusitis then you may need antibiotics.

It sounds like you've chosen a good dentist and he/she shouldn't judge you, they are there to help you and the sooner you visit them the sooner you can lift that weight from your shoulders and enjoy life more.

I had the same fear for decades because my teeth were shocking but I found an understanding dentist in 2014 who did an amazing job of reassuring me throughout the treatment and enabled me to have lots of extractions and fillings.

Have a chat with the dentist about your fears and anxiety, perhaps you can just let them have a look first without having any treatment just to ease you into things? I'm sure you'll be fine.
All the best.

Last edited:
Me I hadn't gone for 15 years have dental
Phobia and ibs that goes mad when I'm anxious so sitting in a dental chair needing the loo is bad
I had chronic wisdom ache ear ache on and off
Christmas was awful ruined by the pain
My gums are receding I'm 47 but have tried to look after my teeth but I thought my front teeth had decay at front I'd need them out and dentures :(

But I searched a dental phobic dentist and .....

I went today had deep clean and a redone filling under IV sedation I was a mess cried nearly threw up that's how bad I am

But .......

The 'decay ' was tartar the chronic ear tooth ache I thought was cancer was ----I clench my teeth at night ----

It's hard when we are so scared but if we don't go we could be loosing our teeth that's why I went and cancer fear made me ill

You can do this ??

Like other's have posted I also went a very long time without dental work 10 years+ and finally started to take steps to fix a back molar that hack crack and chunked down the gum line on one side.

I am also an anxious person especially about the dentist but having gone through the very short procedure and experience ZERO pain I can tell you I had really blown it completely out of proportion.

You will be so happy and relieved when it's all said and done!

Also you can look into what basically is a doctor credit card with monthly payments and no interest if paid on time for up to something like 20 months so you can really spread the cost out. Certain dentist seem to use certain brands so maybe find out if there is something similar with the doc you have picked out.

My friend I wish you the best of luck and I think you will be pleasantly surprised just how easy it all goes for you.

Back