• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I just got diagnosed with periodontal disease

K

Kleinevogel

Hi, I'm 29 and I finally went to the dentist again today after not having been in 3 years. Well, she measured my pockets and I have a lot of 4's, a few 5's and 1 6mm pocket. I am really nervous now because my mom lost her teeth in her fifties (bad oral care and smoked all her life) and I'm so scared I'll lose my teeth. They did take the full x rays and she said I have no significant bone loss.

I eat healthy, I brush twice a day.

I recently upped my routine and added a waterpik twice a day and I changed my regular toothbrush out for a sonicare.

I scheduled two appointment for a deep cleaning, the first appointment is 2 weeks from now and the second will be a month later (they're booked very far out). Has anyone had succes with the deep cleaning? Will it be painful? I'm going to be numbed for it. Will that hurt?

Hi, I'm 29 and I finally went to the dentist again today after not having been in 3 years. Well, she measured my pockets and I have a lot of 4's, a few 5's and 1 6mm pocket. I am really nervous now because my mom lost her teeth in her fifties (bad oral care and smoked all her life) and I'm so scared I'll lose my teeth. They did take the full x rays and she said I have no significant bone loss.

I eat healthy, I brush twice a day.

I recently upped my routine and added a waterpik twice a day and I changed my regular toothbrush out for a sonicare.

I scheduled two appointment for a deep cleaning, the first appointment is 2 weeks from now and the second will be a month later (they're booked very far out). Has anyone had succes with the deep cleaning? Will it be painful? I'm going to be numbed for it. Will that hurt?

You're making a very good decision by addressing any periodontal issues you may have in the relatively early stages. Deep cleanings are a piece of cake, especially if you're numbed. You will probably have a little tenderness for a day or two after the cleaning but absolutely nothing for you to worry about. I'm 48, have periodontal disease and need gum surgery + an implant. If I took the proper steps you're taking now and followed proper oral hygiene years ago, I could've saved myself a ton of worrying & lots of cash!!! If you trust your dental provider, follow through with all your appointments, procedures and hygiene instructions. If you don't trust your dentist, it's easy to get a second opinion. Best of luck!

You're making a very good decision by addressing any periodontal issues you may have in the relatively early stages. Deep cleanings are a piece of cake, especially if you're numbed. You will probably have a little tenderness for a day or two after the cleaning but absolutely nothing for you to worry about. I'm 48, have periodontal disease and need gum surgery + an implant. If I took the proper steps you're taking now and followed proper oral hygiene years ago, I could've saved myself a ton of worrying & lots of cash!!! If you trust your dental provider, follow through with all your appointments, procedures and hygiene instructions. If you don't trust your dentist, it's easy to get a second opinion. Best of luck!

Thank you so much. I'm just so nervous. I started crying when she was probing and reading the measurements because it suddenly made me realize for the past years I haven't been taking care of my teeth as I should have and I've been fearing the dentist so I didn't get any cleanings. Ever since I had a child almost 3 years ago I have just been taking care of myself as I should have.

Thank you so much. I'm just so nervous. I started crying when she was probing and reading the measurements because it suddenly made me realize for the past years I haven't been taking care of my teeth as I should have and I've been fearing the dentist so I didn't get any cleanings. Ever since I had a child almost 3 years ago I have just been taking care of myself as I should have.

Yes, all the "wonderful" thoughts that run through the mind when they probe our mouths can activate the panic buttons. Don't lose a wink of sleep over your current concerns with a deep cleaning, it'll be more mental pain than anything else.

Yes, all the "wonderful" thoughts that run through the mind when they probe our mouths can activate the panic buttons. Don't lose a wink of sleep over your current concerns with a deep cleaning, it'll be more mental pain than anything else.

Thanks. Good luck with your periodontal surgery and your implant!

Hi Kleinevogel,
I am in a very similar boat as you. I am a 21yo male and I had probing done on my gum today. I heard some 2-3s in my front teeth and some 4-5s at the back and I think I heard one 6. I will know my final result and suggested treatments 3 days from now. I am incredibly nervous and depressed. How has your treatment been? Has there been any progress in terms of pocket reduction? Would really appreciate a reply. Thanks!

Dont feel bad. Im 30 and just found out.
Ora md on amazon seems to help mine some even though I dont know what the previous pockets where, hopefully I can get a print out, there is improvement with no bleeding gums as much. Stop soda and smoking reduce sugar.

Back