• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I just want a flipper tooth

K

kellys

I want to have a capped tooth pulled and replaced with a flipper. I don't want to have an implant, because it would require a lot of time, money and xrays. I realize they will have to take 1 xray of the tooth before it is pulled and possibly one afterward, but would they need anymore than that if I'm only getting a flipper as a permanent solution? :(

Flippers are usually just a temporary solution. If you intend it to be permanent you will probably have to go back and have it remade more than once. The clasps break after a while and after tooth loss, as you lose bone flipper teeth can become ill-fitting, and uncomfortable. Over time, they'll also be more difficult to insert. When that happens, you'll need to have them realigned or get a new one madeThe metal clips or wires used to adhere the apparatus to your natural teeth may be visible to others when you eat, smile or talk. Also, since the artificial teeth used in flippers aren't implanted or otherwise affixed to your gums, they might feel unstable in your mouth.

My question was about xrays though.

sorry, you will need impressions done, I am not aware of needing xrays for a flipper

I am aware that dentists will give me a similar speech about the possible inconvenience of using a flipper tooth instead of an implant. But do they have the right to refuse to give me the less invasive and less expensive option?

I wasn't giving you a speech. this is a dental phobia forum, not a general dentistry forum most people's main concern is how many times they will need to return to the dentist, to make the call, to go to the appointment, to sit in the chair. to sit through impressions etc etc. I did not realize all you cared about was how many xrays you need.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. My concern is sitting in the chair and having them trying to persuade me that whatever they want to do is the ONLY way they can do it.
My question is, will a dentist agree to fit me with a flipper tooth as a permanent solution?
Thank you. :)

I doubt any dentist would refuse to give you a flipper, but I also doubt any of them will agree with you that it is a permanent solution. They can not force you to get an implant or anything else if that is what you are asking. They can not even force you to put anything in the gap at all if you choose to leave it empty