• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I let myself down.

K

kayduck

I was all set to do it. Appointment made, im ready, im doing this... do all the calm down things, try not to stress..heatwaves here adding to anxiety... you can still do this.
No i cant..iv cancelled.
Now im sitting here hating everything about myself.

@kayduck don't be too hard on yourself, you tried your best. You will get there don't give up

I hope so. I just feel so stupid right now.

@kayduck I completely understand the feeling of hating yourself right now, but take a deep breath and think, you did make progress! You made that appointment. In the end you didn’t go through with it, but the fact you made the appointment in the first place is a huge victory.

Now is a time to reset and look at why you couldn’t go through with it and what happened. Obviously this will take some time, but it’s a good way to see where you’re at and what you need to work on for the future. What you need to go through with an appointment.

Don’t hate yourself. Truly, honestly, do not hate yourself and do not feel stupid. We’re all here, dealing with such trauma and anxieties and awfulness to do with our mouths. It’s a feat to even phone for an appointment, let alone get ourselves there. You can always try again. You’ll get there, you will. It wasn’t today, but it will be in the future.

:grouphug:Sending you all the hugs right now.

@APhobicQueen thank you. I think with the weather etc the anxiety just got to much. I will remake the appointment.

you did it once - you can do it again! and every day is a new chance! you're on the path now, just keep going. :)

I hope so. I just feel so useless right now.

@kayduck That’s okay! I know when it gets hot, I have to stay in air conditioning and essentially don’t really leave my house much because I end up feeling faint. Combine those kinds of feelings with anxiety and it does make sense why you ended up cancelling. The fact you’ve even said you’re going to remake the appointment is huge. You’ve got this!

@kayduck

Whats was you due to have done ?

I would have rearranged due to the heat too .

Bless a check up is the easy part honestly . Please rebook

Good luck

@kayduck could you make an appointment just for a chat with the new dentist, without necessarily having a check-up? Just to see if you like them, and if you want them to be your new dentist?

Any truly phobic-friendly dentist would be happy to meet you just for a chat. Could you ring (or email) them and explain how you feel, and ask if it would be possible?

(though of course, they may charge a consultation fee for their time)

@kayduck Don't beat yourself up or worry what anyone would think. Sounds like you are making progress since you made an appointment. My tip for this is are you going to the right office that can make you feel more comfortable? After I didn't see a dentist for over 10 years I was too afraid to see any dentist except a female one with a small quiet modest office, who posted on her website that she was happy to see people that hadn't seen a dentist for a long time. I hope all works out for you.

@kayduck I completely understand the feeling of hating yourself right now, but take a deep breath and think, you did make progress! You made that appointment. In the end you didn’t go through with it, but the fact you made the appointment in the first place is a huge victory.

Now is a time to reset and look at why you couldn’t go through with it and what happened. Obviously this will take some time, but it’s a good way to see where you’re at and what you need to work on for the future. What you need to go through with an appointment.

Don’t hate yourself. Truly, honestly, do not hate yourself and do not feel stupid. We’re all here, dealing with such trauma and anxieties and awfulness to do with our mouths. It’s a feat to even phone for an appointment, let alone get ourselves there. You can always try again. You’ll get there, you will. It wasn’t today, but it will be in the future.

:grouphug:Sending you all the hugs right now.
Aphobic queen. that was an absolutely lovely response for k-duck. we truly do have the same anxieties and fears.
and keep pushing forward don't give up keep getting yourself over to the office push through the fear.

Back