• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I made the appointment

vicki

vicki

Well, after sending a few emails backwards and forwards, I've made the appointment to see the hypnotherapist and it's tomorrow (tuesday) at 5pm - she had a cancellation for tomorrow or I could have had tuesday next week. But I thought it was better for it to be sooner rather than later otherwise I know I'd get really stressed (although I'm bordering on panic right now and can't sleep :shame: :cry: which is why I'm on the net to try and take my mind off it). I can't believe I'm so scared about even discussing it with her - especially as I got most of the major bits out of the way in the first email I sent her last night, so she already knows the general outline. Actually, I cheated in the end - because I was so lost for words, I ended up copying and pasting a few chunks from my thread on the Proboards forum. I just hope that I can talk (and somehow find the words - preferably without stammering!) and communicate what I need to.

Anyway, now that I've reached stage two in my self reward scheme (which is heavily influenced by all things Apple :p), I've ordered some socks for my iPod! Sad I know but I couldn't resist! :) Check them out in the Apple store.... As there's six, I reckon that's one for my Shuffle, one for my Nano, two for my feet and... two spare!!! :rolleyes:

Actually, it feels a bit strange to be the first to post on here :confused: Never thought I'd be first in the queue for anything with the word 'dental' in the title :rolleyes:. Someone's got to be first I suppose... :)

Err, we need a medal smilie (for being the first poster on the board :cheers:)!! Actually what I think is happening (judging from the error logs) is that people are trying to use the old usernames and passwords, which don't work here, instead of registering... hmmm...

Anyway - great to hear you're seeing your hypnotherapist tomorrow - as she said, it's by no means an uncommon phobia and I'm sure you'll be feeling much better come this time tomorrow :)

vicki said:
Anyway, now that I've reached stage two in my self reward scheme (which is heavily influenced by all things Apple :p), I've ordered some socks for my iPod! Sad I know but I couldn't resist! :)

I like the yellow and green one best :). They're rather cute, especially for the winter! (actually, the heat might cause the battery to drain more slowly? I sometimes notice that when I put my iPod into a pocket...)

I know it's crazy but I hardly slept last night stressing about this appointment today (now feeling pretty rough as well as stressed!). I ended up taking the beta blockers to try and slow my heartrate as I was starting to feel ill with it (pretty much the same as before a dental appointment) :( I can't believe it's having this effect on me... :cry: It feels like I've got about 100 things going through my mind all the time.

letsconnect said:
I'm sure you'll be feeling much better come this time tomorrow :)

I really really hope so...

letsconnect said:
Actually what I think is happening (judging from the error logs) is that people are trying to use the old usernames and passwords, which don't work here, instead of registering... hmmm...

If it's still happening, maybe you could send everyone a PM on the old forum reminding them to re-register on here rather than trying to log in?

BTW, I copied and pasted your smiley codes list into a text file to refer to and it's working very well :thumbsup:

letsconnect said:
I like the yellow and green one best ;D. They're rather cute, especially for the winter! (actually, the heat might cause the battery to drain more slowly? I sometimes notice that when I put my iPod into a pocket...)

They were delivered just after I arrived at work this morning and they are soooo cute! :cloud9:

vicki said:
I know it's crazy but I hardly slept last night stressing about this appointment today (now feeling pretty rough as well as stressed!). I ended up taking the beta blockers to try and slow my heartrate as I was starting to feel ill with it (pretty much the same as before a dental appointment) :( I can't believe it's having this effect on me... :cry:

Might be good "practice" to let her know about this and see how she reacts :)?

If it's still happening, maybe you could send everyone a PM on the old forum reminding them to re-register on here rather than trying to log in?

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do :)... dunno yet if I'll be finished copying and pasting by tomorrow - still have to move the "success stories" and some other threads... but I'm expecting to be done tomorrow evening!

BTW, I copied and pasted your smiley codes list into a text file to refer to and it's working very well :thumbsup:

Oh, you didn't move to Safari after all :confused: ? Glad to hear though that the smiley list works ;D! It's a bit of a bummer really that there won't be an IE upgrade for Mac, because I haven't got a clue how to test cross-browser compatibility with IE (for the website - once I get to that stage) :sick:

Have fun with your new socks ;D!!

Well, I made it to the appointment (after spending most of the day stressed out :(). I very nearly chickened out, especially when I got into my car to drive there from work, but I couldn't not go as she'd been good enough to give me an appointment so soon.

I'm glad I'd told her most of the 'difficult' stuff via email as I really don't think I'd have been able to say it face to face.

She'd made notes from my emails and said that on a subconscious level, it seems to be the memories of past events that are the root cause of most of this, so therefore if they can be 'reprocessed' so that they are in the distant past where they can't be recalled unless I specifically think about it, rather than at present where they get re-lived everytime I'm in a similar 'trigger' situation, then that may solve some of it.

She also said that because I've always experienced extreme panic and anxiety at dental appointments (due to past events and control/trust issues), then that in itself is a learned 'behaviour' which means although there's a good chance that I may be able to 'switch off' the bad memories, the old 'behaviour' will still exist which means that it will have to be re-learnt, i.e. replacing the past experiences with more positive ones.

From my email, she'd identified four memories/experiences which are the major factors; both experiences in hospital, my first visit to the dentist when I was 3 and more recently, the filling I had. 'Reprocessing' these memories meant more or less reliving and examining them (under hypnosis) and then gradually decreasing their significance. I knew when I emailed her that this was likely to be suggested and although I really wasn't looking forward to it, I was prepared to risk it. I actually found it extremely vivid and painful and was crying through quite a lot of it :cry: :shame: (which is really weird when in a trance state, you know it's happening but don't have as much control over it as you normally would). I also froze at times as well :(.

Anyway, she said that this session may be all that's needed or I might need more depending on how things go and she said to email her in a week to tell her how things are. Although, I guess I won't really know for certain what effect it's had until the next time I'm in the dreaded "chair". :scared:  :scared:

letsconnect said:
Oh, you didn't move to Safari after all :confused: ?

Yes I'm using Safari at work but for some reason the smileys wouldn't work :confused: Strange... I'm kinda getting used to typing the codes now!!! :p

letsconnect said:
It's a bit of a bummer really that there won't be an IE upgrade for Mac, because I haven't got a clue how to test cross-browser compatibility with IE (for the website - once I get to that stage) :sick:

I wonder if IE 5.2 for mac is available as a freebie download from Microsh*te? Don't know whether it's true or not but someone told me that apparently Microsoft did a deal with Apple for them to include IE as part of OS X until Safari was more developed and that the only place it was available was through OS X rather than as an application that could be bought or downloaded.

If all else fails, you could always test it in the PC version of IE! :devilish:

letsconnect said:
Have fun with your new socks  ;D!!

My iPod is nice and snug in it's new green sock by the side of my bed! :p

vicki said:
Anyway, she said that this session may be all that's needed or I might need more depending on how things go and she said to email her in a week to tell her how things are. Although, I guess I won't really know for certain what effect it's had until the next time I'm in the dreaded "chair". :scared: :scared:

Do you feel there have been any positive effects? It's really hard to tell from your post :).

Yes I'm using Safari at work but for some reason the smileys wouldn't work :confused: Strange... I'm kinda getting used to typing the codes now!!! :p

Weird, I was trying it out in Safari just now and it worked... :confused:

I wonder if IE 5.2 for mac is available as a freebie download from Microsh*te?

Yeah, I downloaded it, too, a couple of weeks ago. Problem is that IE 4 and IE 5 behave very differently from IE 6, apparently... then again, if something works in IE 5, it probably *should* work in IE 6... I'll just have to make sure the site doesn't contain any of the more "exotic" tags, and stay away from scripts as much as possible...

If all else fails, you could always test it in the PC version of IE! :devilish:

Anyone I know well enough to ask uses Macs ;D - so that's not an option!

My iPod is nice and snug in it's new green sock by the side of my bed! :p

The great thing about socks is that they aren't updated two weeks later (same price, but 10 times faster and with 80 gigs extra space... ;)).

I don't think the move (from ProBoards) can be made until tomorrow - something came up last night and I didn't get round to finishing it off, but I'll be able to finish it today (I reckon)... maybe we should enable guest posting for the first month or two :confused: ?

letsconnect said:
Do you feel there have been any positive effects? It's really hard to tell from your post :).

Not sure as I don't actually feel any different now than I did before  :( :confused:. I don't actually remember every single thing from the appointment, but I do remember regressing to previous events and I can quite honestly say that they were every bit as terrifying as when they actually happened, complete with sight, sound, smell, touch - the lot, so in thought or emotion terms, I actually had the 'virtual reality' equivalent of the 2 dental appointments and 2 hospital visits last night - not something I want to experience ever again :scared: :cry:. Has it had any positive effects? I don't know... maybe it will all magically disappear at the next appointment - who knows :confused: But I'm not pinning any hope on it, considering how it made me feel and the flashbacks I had in bed last night. I'm now wondering whether something has been dug up that should perhaps have been left as it was? At least I tried anyway...  

letsconnect said:
Weird, I was trying it out in Safari just now and it worked... :confused:

Nope, still doesn't work for me :confused:, but nevermind, I'm actually starting to remember the smiley codes now (or maybe I just post too many messages :p!).

letsconnect said:
Yeah, I downloaded it, too, a couple of weeks ago. Problem is that IE 4 and IE 5 behave very differently from IE 6, apparently... then again, if something works in IE 5, it probably *should* work in IE 6... I'll just have to make sure the site doesn't contain any of the more "exotic" tags, and stay away from scripts as much as possible...

It's very err... commendable that you're going to all this trouble to make sure that people can access it :thumbsup: - most wouldn't give a rat's a*se ;D

letsconnect said:
Anyone I know well enough to ask uses Macs ;D - so that's not an option!

Well, being unfortunate enough to own a PC at home, give me a shout if you wanna know how things are in IE for Microsh*te :).

letsconnect said:
The great thing about socks is that they aren't updated two weeks later (same price, but 10 times faster and with 80 gigs extra space... ;)).

:p LOL! Yeah, one size fits all - although the fit is quite snug for the full size iPod so I don't know whether they'd fit the new video iPod as I think it's a little bigger. Actually, the yellow, green and blue socks are the same colours as you've used on the boards - so that obviously means you've got a decent colour scheme ;D

letsconnect said:
maybe we should enable guest posting for the first month or two :confused: ?

Might not be a bad idea - it does seem to be a little quiet :confused: I wonder what problems people are having with it? It seems more straight forward... :confused:

vicki said:
But I'm not pinning any hope on it, considering how it made me feel and the flashbacks I had in bed last night. I'm now wondering whether something has been dug up that should perhaps have been left as it was? At least I tried anyway...

I reckon you should trust your gut feeling on this. While "working through" traumatic experiences can definitely help with coming to grips with things, actually "reliving" them can do more harm than good.

So my guess is that this approach doesn't really work for you with this particular issue :confused:

My feeling would be that maybe something that's aimed at the conscious mind (rather than something aimed at the unconscious mind) might work better. I don't know if there are any clinical psychologists in your area who offer cognitive-behavioural approaches AND work together with a "tame" dentist ;) - but I reckon this might actually be your best bet (as long as you could find someone you get on well with - it's sooo important to have good rapport :)).

Well, being unfortunate enough to own a PC at home, give me a shout if you wanna know how things are in IE for Microsh*te :).

Many thanks for the kind offer - I'll probably end up taking you up on it :)!

Actually, the yellow, green and blue socks are the same colours as you've used on the boards - so that obviously means you've got a decent colour scheme ;D

The blue is a bit more muted on here, I don't know yet if I might end of using a blue area for the left navigation bar, and the iPod blue might be a little, err, overwhelming on a larger area... we'll see!!

Might not be a bad idea - it does seem to be a little quiet :confused:

Transitions are always difficult... though I'll send out a mass e-mail tonight which might help things along a bit :)! I've decided to enable guest posting, too... at least for the first while!

letsconnect said:
I reckon you should trust your gut feeling on this. While "working through" traumatic experiences can definitely help with coming to grips with things, actually "reliving" them can do more harm than good.

My gut says lets not do that again! :scared: I could sort of see the theory behind what she was saying about reprocessing memories etc, but I had no idea that it would be quite so vivid. Obviously I have had hypnotherapy sessions before and the visualisation/experience part has been very real in the past but I suppose some part of me thought that because these issues are probably the scariest I've got, then somehow my mind wouldn't be able to visualise it because it would be locked away somewhere :confused:

letsconnect said:
So my guess is that this approach doesn't really work for you with this particular issue :confused:

I think your guess is right - although I suppose I wouldn't have known if I hadn't tried it. The human mind is indeed a very strange thing, I just hope that I haven't created more problems somewhere along the line now... I guess all it did was to demonstrate to me that I could recall it all in graphic detail (I suppose it should have been obvious to me as I have flashbacks sometimes :() and so therefore it's still inside me.

I'm sat at my desk right now trying to drink some water but the lower left molars have over the past couple of weeks become as painful as the ones on the right now and I keep wincing (not through choice - I have to drink otherwise I'll get dehydrated :rolleyes:). One of my colleagues has just seen me screwing my eyes up, surreptitiously trying to rub my jaw and has said "if you've got toothache, you should go to the dentist you know... If you leave it, it'll only get worse" Really really not what I want to hear.

letsconnect said:
My feeling would be that maybe something that's aimed at the conscious mind (rather than something aimed at the unconscious mind) might work better.

Sounds like a better bet (a bit less traumatic!), and from a psychological point of view, I've actually made more progress on talking on here :) and reading other people's posts so that's probably very true.

letsconnect said:
I don't know if there are any clinical psychologists in your area who offer cognitive-behavioural approaches AND work together with a "tame" dentist  ;)

Difficult one... the short answer is no not really. When I first started trying to sort the panic attack "thing" out (about 10 years ago), I went to see my GP and actually asked about this. I was told that the waiting list was months, it wasn't for people like me and that they wouldn't refer me for that sort of thing anyway (charming!). The best they could offer was anti-depressants! Hmmm... some how I don't think so. I told her that even though I didn't have a degree in medicine, I had read enough books and research papers to know that there is a difference between panic/anxiety and depression (and a grey bit in the middle where the two can cross over). I also know that I'm not depressed. I might get a bit 'down' as a result of the panic but that's a different kettle of fish altogether and hardly warrants the use of mind altering drugs (for me anyway). She just shrugged her shoulders and said in that case, the best she could offer were beta blockers and that was that. Unless it's something that can be easily fixed with a bottle of pills, they aren't usually interested :confused: So, I set out on a voyage of discovery for myself and the rest, as they say, is history... ;D (ironically, I've probably learnt a lot more 'by myself'!)

letsconnect said:
Transitions are always difficult... though I'll send out a mass e-mail tonight which might help things along a bit  :)! I've decided to enable guest posting, too... at least for the first while!

Seems to be getting a little busier now though! :)

My gut says lets not do that again! :scared:

I think your guess is right - although I suppose I wouldn't have known if I hadn't tried it. The human mind is indeed a very strange thing, I just hope that I haven't created more problems somewhere along the line now...

I wouldn't think you've created any new problems... but yeah, I wouldn't do it again, either!! As you said, at least you've tried (another thing to tick off the list of "things-to-try" ;)).

Difficult one... the short answer is no not really. When I first started trying to sort the panic attack "thing" out (about 10 years ago), I went to see my GP and actually asked about this. I was told that the waiting list was months, it wasn't for people like me and that they wouldn't refer me for that sort of thing anyway (charming!).

Tough call - quite possible that your problem is not "severe" enough to qualify for seeing a psychologist under the NHS. Or a community dentist for that matter . Have you considered seeing someone privately? I never availed of it in the end, but when I was considering my options "back when", I had a look at the yellow pages and quite a few psychologists were advertising treatment for phobias (some even specifically mentioned dental phobia). I've since found out that a lot of them actually do work together with tame dentists, so it might be an option worth considering :confused:

letsconnect said:
As you said, at least you've tried (another thing to tick off the list of "things-to-try" ;)).

At least I've got a list of things to try now - which is more than I had before I found the board :)

letsconnect said:
I never availed of it in the end, but when I was considering my options "back when", I had a look at the yellow pages and quite a few psychologists were advertising treatment for phobias (some even specifically mentioned dental phobia).

There doesn't appear to much on yell.co.uk but I think I'll probably have more luck with the actual book so I'll have a flick through it when I get home. It's definitely something to consider, although I think I'll try what you've suggested about writing it down first (if I can pluck up the courage). I might have more of a chance with that as it seems like more 'practical' solution. It could also go horribly wrong, but I'll just have to pick myself up off the floor somehow if/when the time comes.

The good news is that I've got my 'assertiveness' workshop to go to this morning at 11am - so maybe I'll pick up something useful there. It's being run by one of my work colleagues - he was quite surprised when I put my name down for it "I wouldn't have thought you'd need this workshop :confused: But you're welcome to come along anyway..." Believe me, I do need it... :( I'm hoping I'll pick up something that will help me to buy my toothpaste and hand the letter over for a start. I (the completely rational part of me :rolleyes:) also know that I should probably make an appointment to go sooner rather than waiting for the next checkup. My last dentist told me that if the pain got any worse or if I noticed any changes then I should go back. Things are more painful (really wish they weren't but if I am to at least try and sort things out then I can't carry on ignoring it and living in denial), my teeth are changing colour and my gums are bleeding in places (could be my over zealous flossing though ;)!) If I'm that good at covering my err.. 'nerves' up, perhaps I should have gone into acting rather than design! :shame:

Hi Vicky,

I've only made it over to the new board this morning and am just catching up on the messages (will have to check out those socks for iPods next; mine has cold feet at the moment).

Well done for making it to that hypnotist :jump:.

A couple of things occurred to me and I hope you don't mind if I chip in:

1. Reprocessing memories is a good thing - BUT the reprocessing is not meant to result in a flashback. In fact, if it *does* result in a flashback then it is/has not been done properly! I think "Lets" said it already: reliving memories in a flashback does more harm. Obviosuly, I don't know the hypnotist and her training background. But let me just say that it isn't possible to reporcess memories from severe trauma in one session (sorry).

2. Finding a psychologist/therapist/counsellor: Please don't use one from the "yellow pages". Reputabe ones won't be in there (ethical guidelines are quite strict re "advertising").

Instead have a look here:

Like "Lets" said, using one with a cognitive/behavioural approach might be an idea. And - having written the letter/email for the hypnotist, you can maybe re-use this when contacting some new people.- It may take a while to find the right person, but it'll be worth it.

G.

gdentalfear said:
(will have to check out those socks for iPods next; mine has cold feet at the moment).

:p lol! You won't be disappointed... ;D

gdentalfear said:
I think "Lets" said it already: reliving memories in a flashback does more harm. Obviosuly, I don't know the hypnotist and her training background. But let me just say that it isn't possible to reporcess memories from severe trauma in one session (sorry).

I was told before the reprocessing and trance began, that one session might be all that was needed :( :confused: I've seen this hypnotherapist before 2 or 3 times over the past few years and I remember her using this 'technique' in a previous appointment (in relation to panic attacks in general). It went fairly OK which is why I guess I thought it would be this time (except that this time I thought wrong!). I used the analogy of these experiences as being like memories which I had shut in a box because they were too scary/traumatic and I explained that whilst I realised she might not be able to help much regarding the dental phobia, I was hoping that she would be able to help regarding the flashbacks from these events that I experience during dental appointments - therefore reducing some of the panic I feel. I also know that for most of the 'terror/paralysis' I experience at the dentists, if I can implement the suggestions I've received on here, they will probably make the greatest difference.

She assured me that by reprocessing these memories, I would be able to 'empty the boxes' without taking the lid off (probably doesn't make much sense does it?) Her particular method involves viewing each experience as a video tape on a TV screen. Firstly as a viewer, then by stepping into the movie and watching as a spectator (except that I somehow ended up experiencing it all again :confused: :scared: from my point of view instead of as an outsider). It was awful and I never want to do that again.

Thanks for the advice re: finding a psychologist/counsellor - it's definitely something I'm going to look into, although I am now extremely nervous of things like that and still very 'sore' from last tuesday's session (had a couple of nightmares since :cry: - something I've not had for quite a few years so I'm really hoping that things will just calm down eventually and go away again).

No I don't mind anyone chipping in :), if it wasn't for all the advice/support I've received on here (as well as reading other people's posts/success stories) I wouldn't have even found the courage to start trying to do something about it.

I'm a bit confused here because I *have* seen reputable psychologists (those registered with major psychological societies etc.) "advertise" in the Yellow Pages (by advertising, I mean little ads which state what fields they specialize in, e. g. relationships, anxiety, etc. etc.). :confused: (also, the BACP have their own advertising department, lol)...

To Vicki: I believe the NLP technique you've been describing is called "submodality modification". I had read about it before and never quite understood how it could work if the trauma was really intense, because even viewing something like, say, abuse from the perspective of a neutral bystander would be harrowing in my book? I'm not familiar enough with the theory behind it to comment, though (I read a book on the topic, but it didn't really explain the psychology behind it, other than to say that by looking at a situation which was frightening from a different perspective would help with representing it differently in your own mind. Depends on how frightening the situation was, I suppose!!). When I was reading about it, I also thought that this technique would never have helped me - for the simple reason that looking at something which was plain wrong and, err, "evil" from a detached position changes absolutely nothing about the facts (just another flashback to add to the collection, LOL :p).

Please check your PMs later today - I've got an idea which you might be interested in.

letsconnect said:
I'm a bit confused here because I *have* seen reputable psychologists (those registered with major psychological societies etc.) "advertise" in the Yellow Pages (by advertising, I mean little ads which state what fields they specialize in, e. g. relationships, anxiety, etc. etc.).  :confused: (also, the BACP have their own advertising department, lol)...
Had a look at the current ethical guidelines for the BACP. Looks like advertising is now o.k. (the old guidelines were more restrictive). All it says now is "ensure accuracy in any advertising or information given in advance of services offered".

Other psychological societies will have their own guidelines.

G.

letsconnect said:
I had read about it before and never quite understood how it could work if the trauma was really intense, because even viewing something like, say, abuse from the perspective of a neutral bystander would be harrowing in my book?

----

I also thought that this technique would never have helped me - for the simple reason that looking at something which was plain wrong and, err, "evil" from a detached position changes absolutely nothing about the facts (just another flashback to add to the collection, LOL  :p).

During the session, I was asked to visualise a calm place so I picked a park. I was told to see a sofa with a TV and video in front of it. On the sofa were four video tapes of these experiences which I had to watch, starting with the earliest one. I had to watch each one on the screen from an 'audience' perspective and then float into the 'movie' and watch as though I was a 'fly on the wall'. When it got to this bit in each experience though, rather than being a fly on the wall, I somehow experienced everything again as myself - just as I did when these things actually happened for real. After this, I then had to fast-forward and rewind the tape over and over again, each time getting quicker and quicker - blurring the images until the only things that were 'clear' were the beginning and the end, where nothing bad happened. Sometimes I was 'in' the experience and sometimes I was on the sofa.

I did find it upsetting just to watch these experiences from the audience perspective - let alone be in them as myself all over again. I know what you mean about it not helping as nothing can change what actually happened - unfortunately the past cannot be erased otherwise I would have done so a long long time ago. So, yes, I have got another load of flashbacks to add to the collection. Except that the ones that occurred during this 'session' were worse than flashbacks because they were the whole sequence of events repeated in graphic detail rather than the horrible glimpses of things that I sometimes get at dental appointments.

What also strikes me as odd about this is that normally when I experience hypnosis (either self-induced, by CD or by another person), I don't really remember every little detail because I'm so 'chilled out' and it feels like a couple of minutes has passed when it's maybe been a couple of hours. This time though was the exact opposite, I remember absolutely everything and it felt like hours and hours (was actually about an hour and a half).

It's an interesting one - I'd love to hear what Mike makes of this (he's our hypnosis expert ;D!). I think he's away at the moment, but when he's around...

I'd like to know as well - it certainly wasn't like anything I've experienced before and if I'd known that was going to happen, there's no way I'd have gone there :scared: :hidesbehindsofa:.

It's also made me feel worse about going to the next appointment at the dentists as I 'relived' the time I had the filling and also my first ever appointment - it just served as reminder of what can happen if I can't control the panic, it has also left me feeling that I've somehow done something bad :confused: :shame:

vicki said:
it has also left me feeling that I've somehow done something bad :confused: :shame:

ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!!!! The person who's primarily responsible for your welfare during hypnosis sessions is your THERAPIST, not YOU!

While it is true that a hypnotherapist can't make you do anything that goes totally against your will and inclinations, it is his or her task to make sure that certain boundaries aren't crossed - ESPECIALLY if you're very receptive to hypnosis.

Stop kicking yourself or feeling bad about it - s**t happens :sick:! (says she, blaming herself for not checking earlier into the person's credentials... :p)

Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with *you* which "made this happen" - it sounds to me as if due care was sadly lacking during the session you described. OK, the damage wasn't intentional, but it was a mistake on your therapist's behalf.

letsconnect said:
Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with *you* which "made this happen"

I guess so... It's just taking a while for it to sink in :).

If you see a therapist (counselling, psychology, hypnosis or whatever), you have to place a certain amount of trust in them (i.e. you trust that they know what they're doing and are acting in your best interests) for it to work. Because we'd met 2 or 3 times before, the 'trust' was probably a bit stronger than if it had been a first appointment, therefore I found it harder to believe that what happened was down to anything she'd done.

Of course there's also the subconscious 'therapist/client' thing that leads you to believe that because they're "the expert" with the qualifications, they know what they're doing.

Speaking of credentials, I'm wondering about that actually... Since the first time we met, she's now got a website which makes no reference to actual 'legit' qualifications/training from recognised/reputable places  (I would have thought this was mega important in order to convince people that you're reputable). After my first ever appointment, she did give me her business card which had her qualifications after her name, but not what subjects they're in - but to the untrained eye, people would just assume that they're in a related subject.  I could put BA(Hons), Dip. MCSD after my name (if I felt the need to, but I don't :p) - on the surface it looks like I must know what I'm talking about - but really, my qualifications could be in any subject couldn't they? I remember her telling me that she hasn't always been doing hypnotherapy. I might be wrong but I have a sneaking suspicion that the 'qualifications' could be related to her previous job :confused: :confused: .

I guess the moral of the story is to always check any 'therapist's' credentials very thoroughly...