• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I made the mistake of Googling

P

Princey

A couple weeks ago I finally worked up the courage to go to the dentist for the first time. At the visit, the Dr told me that 3 of my molars had severe cavities (2 on top and 1 on bottom), and his recommended course of treatment was for me to get crowns. We scheduled the appointment, and this past Wednesday I went in and had the procedure. He had prescribed some anxiety medication, so the entire process really wasn't as scary as I expected it to be and I ended up practically sleeping through most of it.

My issue now is the healing process. I was told that it's normal for my mouth to be sore afterwards, and it definitely is. Tylenol seems to do the trick of taking the pain away, but it's been 3 days now and I've convinced myself that something is terribly wrong because the pain isnt lessening at all. Logically I know that things take longer than a few days to heal, but I just can't seem to accept that. Today I made the mistake of Googling mouth pain after getting crowns and found that sometimes the procedure can lead to nerve pain from the crown pressing down on the remaining tooth. Now I'm terrified that that's what happened to me and I feel like I made a mistake getting this done because my teeth didn't cause me any pain before. I hope that this isn't the case, but I can't help but worry that I'm going to have to deal with this forever.

One more thing, I have temporary crowns right now while the permanent ones are being made, is it normal for them to be completely smooth on top? They don't have any ridges at all like normal teeth do. And when I have my mouth closed, there's a gap between my top and bottom teeth where the crowns are, but on the other side of my mouth my real teeth touch each other and I cant find anything online that says if this is normal or not.

Today I made the mistake of Googling mouth pain after getting crowns and found that sometimes the procedure can lead to nerve pain from the crown pressing down on the remaining tooth.
That's not really correct. You've misunderstood a bit. Sometimes the bite on the crown can be a bit off which can cause this sensation but what you're describing doesn't happen.

Sounds like preformed aluminium temp crowns? They are just there to cover up the natural teeth under them, nothing like a real crown. It doesn't matter that they aren't touching your opposing teeth.