• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I n eed support, I am FREAKIN out! My wisdom teeth

B

brooklyn7582

Hey guys, tomorrow I get 6 teeth out...my widsoms and 2 molars. Please give me your experiences, I AM SOOO scared!! I am getting the IV sedation, so I will be out for it, but I need help actually getting in the door, I am so tempted to cancel!!!!!! Help! :scared:

My fiance is taking me and will be with me all day...I called to see if I could take a nerve pill before hand, they said no :mad: That they wouldnt prescribe me one...it may interfere with the anestetic...which who knows

Thanks guys :XXLhug:

Brooke

Re: I n eed support, I am FREAKIN out! My wisdom t

Hello. Good luck tomorrow  :) I'm sure everything will be ok

Have u been given any Valium to take beforehand ? That will help calm you down.
Lots of people on here have had IV Sedation,& they all speak highly of it. :)

Who's going with you ? Having someone for support really does help. Also they can help distract you.

I'm sure everything will be fine. Also if u cancel, u will have to go through this all again  :( :XXLhug:

(i'll most likely need my Wisdoms out, so plz let me know how it goes) :XXLhug:

brooklyn7582 said:
Hey guys, tomorrow I get 6 teeth out...my widsoms and 2 molars. Please give me your experiences, I AM SOOO scared!! I am getting the IV sedation, so I will be out for it, but I need help actually getting in the door, I am so tempted to cancel!!!!!! Help! :scared:
My fiance is taking me and will be with me all day...I called to see if I could take a nerve pill before hand, they said no  :mad:  That they wouldnt prescribe me one...it may interfere with the anestetic...which who knows
Brooke
Hi there and welcome to the board. Don't know if you read through my journal - it did get pretty long - but I had 18 teeth extracted (and full dentures at the same time) just two weeks ago today. I was terrified of the dentist, thus my reason for leaving it so long until it was too late to save the teeth, and had IV sedation for the actual extractions. As I have a phobia about needles also, that was an added fear. My dentist was very good and did prescribe valium for me to take prior to that appointment, just to take some of the anxiety away. It must have helped, because on the day I felt remarkably calm, until the sedationist actually came out to talk to me. Then I must admit I started shaking uncontrollably - never been that in my whole life - and was worried that he wouldnt be able to keep my arm still and that would be added problem in getting the needle in. Anyhow, he was marvellous (also recorded in my journal). Put some numbing cream on, not that its the pain that scares me, its the needle itself. Anyway, the needle went in, hardly felt it and then he started putting in the IV stuff. In a couple of seconds the room was spinning, I felt wonderful, and then, so it seemed, a couple of minutes later my eyes opened and I was saying, "I knew you wouldn't give me enough". But two faces were peering down at me smiling. I looked at my watch and couldnt believe it. An hour exactly had passed and I hadnt felt a thing. He had given me a very deep sedation, practically to GA level. The only after effects - which are natural - are that for 2 days afterwards I was extremely tired. It's a wonderful way to have treatment,and I would recommend it to anyone. I know other people's experiences of IV have been that they have been aware of what's going on, but not caring. I had told him I didn't want to be aware at all, and that is the way it happened. So good luck with your extractions. I'm sure it will all go well and we will all be thinking of you.

Thank you! I am so proud of you, I hope I am as brave as you tomorrow! :XXLhug: :grouphug:

Hi Brooke,

I had 7 extractions (4 wisdom teeth and 3 others) under IV sedation on July 18th. I was terrified, too, but let me tell you, the IV sedation is wonderful! I barely remember anything about the appointment ~ I feel like I slept through the whole thing. And it seemed like it was all done and over with really quickly.

I can honestly say that the worst thing about it was all the worrying I did before I went. I'm sure you will get through it just fine, too. Let us know how it goes ~ we'll be thinking of you and wishing you well :grouphug:

Hi there,

Although I had less done this time round ( 1 x extraction , 1 x root canal, fillings and new tooth fitted on plate!!) with just Novacaine (or needle in the gum as we call it here in UK ) I remember when I had IV sedation a number of years ago. It was so much easier than being awake for the procedure..!! I just woke up and thought .."Is that it..?"

You will be absolutely fine, We'll all be with you and before you know it, it will all be over and you'll be home sleeping off the wonderful anaesthetic..(I always used to think j'just put me to sleep, I don't want to know what's going on!) You are so lucky to be asleep for the treatment I envy you....

Love

Jools
xxx :XXLhug:

P.S. Just re-read my post ....though I wasn't COMPLETELY asleep, it most certainly felt like it, as apparently the IV sedation is a technique which basically makes you forget anything that happens within an instance!! Hence the feeling that you are asleep anyway...wonderful... :-*

Jools
xx

Good luck today :thumbsup: I'm sure everything will go great :)