• Welcome to Dental Fear Central! This is a place for mutual support and any questions you may have that are related to dental phobia, fear or anxiety. It is run by volunteers with first-hand experience of dental phobia and anxiety together with dental practitioners who like to help. The "Verified dentist" badges will tell you whether an answer has been provided by a qualified dental practitioner. If you'd like to use all the features of this forum and share your own experiences, or if you are a dental professional who would like to contribute, register now.

We strive to promote a safe, friendly and trustworthy environment with our team of moderators monitoring all discussions daily.

I need a dentist or someone with full implants to answer this.

T

tazey

So today my consultant did more try ins lots of screwing+unscrewing,he intends to fit them next appointment (even tho I still think they look awfull). They feel like a pair of chunky dentures with a big but of plastic on the roof of my mouth,am I right in thinking implants shouldn't feel like that? also dont see how you could possibly eat or drink like that. I did not wait 7yrs for this. 🙄

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
Hi,

New set of teeth is a huge step and surely it takes time to get used to the new feeling and look.
Maybe someone can come with you to your next appointment to evaluate its esthetics?

T

tazey

I always have someone with me but they aren't going to say they look bad as they want this over just as much as me. Implants shouldn't feel like that tho right? I mean if that was the case I would have just got dentures from the start,I don't want that constant feeling of something there.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Something is there, a big lump of acrylic that wasn't there before :)
It's going to take a long time to get used to it when you've had nothing in your mouth for years.

T

tazey

But people that have had it done don't say it feels like that especially in the roof of your mouth.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
There are different kinds of implant supported "false teeth". Was this not all discussed with you at the start of your treatment?

T

tazey

There are different kinds of implant supported "false teeth". Was this not all discussed with you at the start of your treatment?
I've changed consultant once but no neither have gone into great detail. Not sure how this can all be finished in 2 appointments.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
I suggest you take a written list of questions with you for your next appointment then, it sounds like you've got some explanations due to you...

T

tazey

I suggest you take a written list of questions with you for your next appointment then, it sounds like you've got some explanations due to you...
I'm forever asking questions just don't get answers. My next appointment is in 2wks another of the caps (or whatever it's called) has come off again the day after he tightened them can it wait till then or should it be put back on sooner?

T

tazey

I've phoned twice today to ask about the cap and the response was the consultant is busy (I'm sure there's others who can answer it's just a general question should I be coming in sooner rather than waiting) apparently they'll get back to me in a few days. 🙄

M

MountainMama

I've phoned twice today to ask about the cap and the response was the consultant is busy (I'm sure there's others who can answer it's just a general question should I be coming in sooner rather than waiting) apparently they'll get back to me in a few days. 🙄
My dentist said to call immediately if one of the caps comes loose or off. He said he only hand tightened them this time since the crowns are less than a month off.
That must be very frustrating to not get an answer from someone!

T

tazey

My dentist said to call immediately if one of the caps comes loose or off. He said he only hand tightened them this time since the crowns are less than a month off.
That must be very frustrating to not get an answer from someone!
Exactly surely someone knows? 😕

M

MountainMama

Exactly surely someone knows? 😕
Even if they don’t, surely someone could pop in and ask. When I call my oral surgeon, if the nurse doesn’t know the answer she will tell me to hold on and go ask the surgeon. I think I have only had to wait and get a callback once, when he was out to lunch.

T

tazey

Even if they don’t, surely someone could pop in and ask. When I call my oral surgeon, if the nurse doesn’t know the answer she will tell me to hold on and go ask the surgeon. I think I have only had to wait and get a callback once, when he was out to lunch.
I get they were all busy this afternoon but how about asking in the morning before they start seeing patients,like I said doesn't have to be my consultant just someone medical.