• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I need a very patient dentist

O

OkDani

I'm terrified of any dentist but I'm in real trouble and I need real help. My teeth have always been a ticking time bomb & I'm afraid I have so much pain, I know my time bomb went off.
I have excellent insurance but I'm scared to go. I will probably need to get knocked out just for the exam. I know it's very bad situation but I don't have a choice. I'm in pain & swollen & scared. What kind of dentist do I look for?? Thx Danielle

Hi Danielle :welcome:,

glad you are looking for help. The usual way would be to look around in your area and see whether there is any practice you feel like getting in touch with and then maybe calling or explaining your situation. Many dentists offer a chat without any obligation to get an exam if you do not feel up to it. Such a meeting would be a possibility to discuss ways that would make you able to get through the exam.

Generally speaking it is possible to use sedation for an exam and the options may vary depending on the country you live in. You mentioned insurance - are you in US?

Hi Danielle :welcome:,

glad you are looking for help. The usual way would be to look around in your area and see whether there is any practice you feel like getting in touch with and then maybe calling or explaining your situation. Many dentists offer a chat without any obligation to get an exam if you do not feel up to it. Such a meeting would be a possibility to discuss ways that would make you able to get through the exam.

Generally speaking it is possible to use sedation for an exam and the options may vary depending on the country you live in. You mentioned insurance - are you in US?
Yes I'm in the US. I called & made an appointment for tomorrow. I'm scared to death & I told them. They seemed nice & also seems like I'm a good fit for their practice. Most dentists are aware of the fears so many of us have. Thanks for the response.

Wow, that was quick! Very well done. You will be fine. I am glad they seemed nice. Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. Let us know how the visit goes and feel free to vent if you feel you need it. :grouphug:

Okdani

Wanted to say well done on a courageous call of making that appointment! LIke Enarete said it sounds they are nice and you seemed to be at ease to be able to explain to them so felt like you could be open. I hope they work out well and are able to help you get the work needed at your pace in a way you feel comfortable and help you over your fears!

Wow, that was quick! Very well done. You will be fine. I am glad they seemed nice. Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. Let us know how the visit goes and feel free to vent if you feel you need it. :grouphug:
Thank you so much!

I agree ... well done!! Patient and caring dentists do exist, and I hope the one you’re going to see will be a good fit for you. It makes all the difference in the world once you can trust that they care and listen about your fears.

Back