• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I need help to calm down

• Thread starter Housefullofkids82
  • Start date
H

Housefullofkids82

I’ve been here in the past. Last winter I got a top premolar extracted. It took an hour and it was awful because my dentist struggled to get it. The crown came off, and then it came out piece by piece.
My cheek had been hot and uncomfortable, but my dentist said it’d clear up on its own once the tooth was removed.
Now it’s been 6 months and it hasn’t felt the same since. It’s like I have a constant weird feeling on that side of my face.

It has gotten a bit worse the past 2~3 days but I wouldn’t say painful, my cheek is just hot. I’m absolutely petrified that the infection never left and has spread to my other teeth and they’ll need to be pulled. I googled and of course read that somewhere so my irrational mind is telling me to prepare for it and I an so upset

I have a cleaning next Friday but I don’t want to go because I’m so scared.

Hi Housefullofkids82,

sorry to read about your situation, it sounds uncomfortable and scary. I was wondering whether you had a chance to talk to your dentist over the course of the last 6 months? Or was your last chat at the tooth removal appointment?

To calm you down: it is not possible for a healthy tooth to „catch“ an infection from a nearby infected tooth. You won‘t lose teeth. Also, when an infected tooth is removed, an infection subsides. Sometimes the things we fear are rooted in images that do not correspond with how things really work. The problem with the cheek remains however, so seeing a dentist sounds like the best idea tofind out what is going on.

I was wondering what are you afraid may happen during the cleaning?

All the best wishes

Back