• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I need some support and encouragement!

A

Ashley777

Okay, so this is embarrassing to even type.
I'm 25 and I haven't been to a dentist in at least 10 years.
Ever since my wisdom teeth started coming in over 5 years ago, the health of my mouth has drastically went down hill.
I now have 6 broken teeth, 1 tooth fell out and I'm sure I have a bunch of cavities. I am also almost positive that I have gum disease.
I brush, floss and rinse at least twice a day so I don't know why I'm having so many issues. Bad oral health does run in my father's family though so that might be a reason.
Anyway.
I'm waiting to hear back from the state to see if I qualify for coverage. We can't afford health insurance otherwise but I really need to see a dentist.
My teeth are getting worse and right now I have an abscess. My cheek and gums are swollen. I've been in pain with it for the past 3 days.
I really want to get my mouth in a healthy state but I have to wait for insurance, if I get accepted. No one around me does payment plans, most won't even accept you without insurance.

This is just all really embarrassing. I'm going to be absolutely petrified to let any dentists or nurses see inside my mouth. I looked inside it today with a small flashlight for the first time and I was absolutely mortified. It's not good..

Hi Ashley!

I'm 22 and like you hadn't been to the dentist in an embarrassingly long time due to my fear of the dentist, fear of pain, and fear of the work I knew needed to be done. I could see the cavities when I opened my mouth, black spots and the overall greyish tone of my molars, and while I knew I should go to the dentist to have my teeth fixed, it scared me thinking of the work that I would need done and the possibility of needing teeth removed. I too brushed twice a day religiously and used mouthwash morning and night. When I finally went to the dentist for a simple cleaning and check-up, I suffered a panic attack in the waiting room and was brought to hysterical tears in the chair when the dentist was going through what needed to be done. At the end of the day I had 9 cavities and was facing possibly two root canals. I didn't go back for 6 months. I was petrified and horrified. However when I finally did face having my mouth fixed, three appointments over three weeks, I felt so so relieved to finally having my mouth in a healthy state where I wasn't scared to look at my teeth, wasn't embarrassed to let someone else see my teeth. I had went for a cleaning yesterday, and my dentist and I agreed that in the coming months we would pull my top wisdom teeth.

You came to the right place for support, and just remember that your teeth are not the worst the dentist has seen, and that the dentist is there to help. Feel free to message me if you'd like!

Back