• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I need support

R

Readingmama

Hello. I have terrible dental phobia. TERRIBLE. I haven’t been to a dentist in over 20 years and it shows. I’m so scared of what they will say. I’m scared of the criticism. The price as I am uninsured. How do I get over this? Even the thought of contacting a dentist office sends my heart racing ?. Help.

Hello Readingmama,

:welcome: to Dental Fear Central! We are glad you are here. and I believe you are much braver and stronger than you imagine. You are in good company of many of us who are trying to heal from dental fear, all different kinds, for different reasons but its a very supportive and understanding place to be.!! So really a very courageous step to take and write your post and ask for support ! This is huge. And a great first step.

Is there anything specifically besides criticism that really scares you most? I encourage you to take one small step at a time. and every step is one step closer. Have you checked into practices in your area that are anxious friendly? I have looked at websites, FB and review pages to gage whether it seemed they might be warm and friendly to an anxious patient. Then I reached out to a few via fb chat who were very kind and said they would meet me for a chat . No dental work and not even sitting in a chair , just meeting them to see if I felt comfortable and them asking what would help me. I met some amazing dentists this way and it was actually hard to pick. It was alot less threatening becaues I already met them a tiny bit through a fb chat .

I know however even that can be intimidating.. and I know for me calling .. is the worst.. every time.. even a practice I'm comfortable with calling is hard.. so really it is very hard to make the first call. I know a few people on here have suggested to call after hours and leave a message to start small and see how their answering machine sounds too :).

Alot of dentists are really kind and just want to help and shouldn't criticize you.. and now you can be empowered and know that if they do , if the shame or criticize you, you can run for the door and don't have to see them further and look for another that is kind. Because they are out there.

It takes little by little to overcome dental phobia and trust takes time to build , its not overnight. kind of brick by brick. anyways. know you are in the right place to start and you can vent whatever fears and anxieties here and we will understand and support you!! :grouphug:

KR gives great advice. I was just like you and then crazily one day I just had enough and called a place highly recommended on a local Facebook page. It was the best thing I ever did. They were wonderful and now I am going to always go because I never want to feel that way again. I am sure they can work out payment plan or have a care type program, sort of dental loan.

Hi Reading,
Just wanted to add something - I know exactly how you feel. I was the same way. I know it’s hard to believe but they are not going to criticize you. And if at any point you feel that you are being criticized you are free to get up and walk away. Dentists are much different now than they were 20 years ago, and it’s more focused on the positive rather than the negative. I truly hope you can find a dentist to help you through this.

Back