• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I noticed some tartar at the back of my bottom front teeth...

C

CynthiaP

This is my first time experiencing this. Before the pandemic, I was pretty consistent with my oral hygiene and appointments to the clinic for cleaning twice a year or at least once if it was a busy year. However, with the lockdown and protocols in my place, I wasn't able to go for almost a year and a half. I'm nervous about going for an appointment because I am afraid my dentist may reprimand me. I also fear that maybe there may have been permanent damage because I have only noticed it now. However, I think it is a mild case as it is a small build-up and only one tooth looks slightly worse. I think I may also have gingivitis and I don't know how things are going for me.

I am currently in the process of going to my previous clinic to check about their protocols because their line was busy. I plan to do it as soon as possible but I am anxious about the damage or how it would be.

Can someone explain to me how the removal goes, what is the general basis of the damage, and perhaps some words of encouragement or advice as to how I should see my appointment to be. To get rid of my nervousness and embarrassment?

It's very common, it won't do any long term damage and it just needs scaled off by a dentist or hygienist. Most people get a small build up of calculus around the lower incisors if they aren't super diligent with flossing and brushing.

It's very common, it won't do any long term damage and it just needs scaled off by a dentist or hygienist. Most people get a small build up of calculus around the lower incisors if they aren't super diligent with flossing and brushing.

I already went to the dentist for an appointment. Thankfully it was still the same dentist I was used to and her assistant was also really sweet. I was slightly shaking as I got in and sat down trying to make sure I was at least stable enough to not cause any accidents. When it first started, I was already ready for any comments even if it wasn't an intentional one but she was just informing me where the build-up was most bad and made small talk. Halfway through I felt pretty comfortable aside from slight pain in the gums. I don't find the dentist as scary as before and my opinion about their attitudes has changed too.

On a side note, I still noticed some small build-up along the gum line when I came home but it is fairly less (Only around let's say 4 teeth but it has significantly decreased). I asked the dentist if I needed further cleaning but she said that she got it out. I wanted to know if that is normal or that perhaps the remaining isn't tough and can be removed through proper 2x a day brushing? It has bothered me for a while but I was already at home when I had found out.

I’m in the exact same situation as you. ? I am glad you were able to see your dentist and get it sorted out
:thumbsup!:

Well done on getting it dealt with. Leaving some calculus wouldn't be normal practice, are you sure you're not misidentifying the normal root shape of the teeth? Any chance of a photo?

Sorry for the late reply. I had recently gone on a vacation with Family.

This is a pic before the vacation but it is unclear I think.
Well done on getting it dealt with. Leaving some calculus wouldn't be normal practice, are you sure you're not misidentifying the normal root shape of the teeth? Any chance of a photo?

Attachments

• IMG_20210407_104654.jpg
    IMG_20210407_104654.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210407_104712.jpg
    IMG_20210407_104712.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 15
Lucky you getting a vacation :)

It's not very clear but I can't see enough calculus there to be an issue.

Back