• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I really REALLY need advice

FearAndLoathing

FearAndLoathing

Due to a drug addiction years ago I have horrible teeth couple that with a very messed up dental phobia you have me where I am now.

The last time I was in the chair they had to sedate me through IV to do my oral surgery, I mean I went to get the stitches out that was the last time I could make myself go in. My insurance approved a bridge for me but I was too scared to even go get fitted for that.

Due to recent stress I was grinding my teeth in my sleep and chipped a tooth pretty bad.

Right now where i live it's 3am I am in more pain than I can ever imagine and I am sobbing because I know I have to go in now and I would honestly rather die at this point.

For one all I can afford is the government dental care which is going to be horrible (trust me that's what I had to get before) but if it continues like this I won't be able to eat. I am sobbing because I know I need this fixed but am too terrified to do anything about it because I'll go in and hear once again that I need like 6 more teeth pulled like I did before and I'll be a freak of nature.

I just want the pain to stop and I am terrified beyond belief. There is nothing I can do because I can't afford sedation dentistry like history has shown me is the only way to get in the chair. I have to pop a sedative just to get into the car to drive to an appointment where all they will do is look in my mouth. This is no longer an option for me other than to be sedated and now I am in so much pain and I am so scared and I have no idea what to do.

Can anyone help me?

~M :cry:

What are you having done? You can do this.... ask for something to help you like nitrous or something. If you feel any discomfort speak up and let them know so they can make sure you are numbed up good. Let us know how it goes.

I don't know how long ago it was since you went to the dentist, but I think you will find that things have changed in the last few years. The dentists of today are wanting to help us to get treatment.

The right dentist seems to be the key for everyone in getting treatment, myself included. If you can explain to the dentist how afraid and nervous you are feeling they will be able to put your mind at rest.

I understand how much pain you are in, and if you could think of it logically, is there anything the dentist can do that can give you any worse pain?

Carole speaks the truth.
I suffered with untolerable toothaches for 23 years. Toothaches that wouldn't allow me to sleep for days because the pain was SO bad. I was THAT scared :scared: of dentists, that I would rather NOT sleep or eat for days on end than go to the dentist.
I have not yet had a treatment at my dentist that hurt me like those toothaches have. Then after treatment, your pain (after a little recovery time) will be gone and you will feel better.
I hope you go and get the treatment you need.

Many, many :hug4:'s

I called 15 different dentists today. 15. I only have govt aid here and the ONLY Thing that will cover (and i checked) is extraction. They don't cover cleaning or cavities or anything else just extraction. As the tooth that hurts me the most is my front I am NOT going to get that extracted because I have HUGE self esteem issues as it is and if I have to walk around with a missing tooth knowing i could never afford to get it replaced I'd honestly rather die.

There are no other options here. I went to the ER. The doctor checked my moth he could find no signs (outward) of anything wrong, no messed up teeth to a point where I would even be in this pain. No abcesses, nothing.

He gave me a script for anti biotics and for a mild narcotic. I also have ora-gel on and though it HELPS still when I lay down the pain gets so bad I cannot sleep.

On the list of common fears up there I have every last one down to past abuse (Yeah I have that as well)

I have an appointment with a dentist on wednesday and I already cannot afford what they are asking but it's a last ditch effort as I seriously want to die right now.

I have gotten at most right now maybe 2 hours of sleep in a row. I am up and down constantly, I am hungry and though it doesn't hurt when I eat the pain makes me not want to, if that makes sense. The pain is nauseating.

I have every fear on the list, all of it. The only thing they could possibly do to help with my insurance is extract. I am completely screwed here.

The thing is I'm also underweight, and my teeth are INSANE sensitive, since they give novacaine according to bodyweight they can't give me THAT much (I am 112 pounds and 5 feet 9 inches) and though otherwise healthy novacaine has NEVER been enough because I ALWAYS feel incredible pain and there is only so much they can give.

Right now I am starting the antibiotics so if it is an infection that should help right?

I don't see how I'm NOT screwed in this situation. I really don't know what to do and I'm at my wits end here. I cannot afford the treatment i actually need. And I got combative with a dentist on mild IV sedation once I'm the kind of person who needs MASSIVE therapy to fix this or to just be knocked out while they do as much as they can in one setting. Neither of which I have time or money for you understand? I am scared of what this means for me.

The antibiotics should help. Could you come to some arrangement with the dentist to pay in instalments if you need the tooth removed.
If your insurance will pay for the removal, if the dentist would let you pay in instalments that may be the answer to your problem.

I also thought novacaine was different in that body weight doesn't figure in it as it is local to your mouth and not in your system. I may be talking rubbish here. Did the dentist not mention a rct, I know this would cost too but it and arrangement could be made you could keep the tooth.

Has the dentist said the tooth needs removing?

Could you have sinus problems, this can make the teeth feel like they are hurting.

Try elevating your head at night while you are in pain.............it helped me a bit when the pain isn't TOO bad.
I really don't think they base how much local anesthetic to use on your weight. During a recent root canal, my dentist assured me he would use as much Novocaine as needed to get me numb. It took 4-5 shots, but he got me numb enough to do the work.
I hope you can find a way to get the help you need.

I took the tramadol they gave me plus used the ora-gel after brushing my teeth still the pain was too much to sleep when I laid down. I'm slowly losing my mind here. I can't even afford to see the discount dentist on Wednesday any more. I took the first pill of the anti-biotics and I'm really really scared I'm going to go insane with this pain before I can get any kind of sleep. I seriously was able to maybe doze for 20 mins before the pain got so bad I had to sit up again and I'm not the kind of person who can sit up and sleep, or at least get a long restful sleep. I don't know what to do I'm so scared here. This has come down to knowing I have to go to the dentist, even WILLING to go if I have to and not being able to afford it. I tried I talking about payment plans with some none are willing to deal. I'm terrified of what this means and I can't do this any more.

Are you near a dental school? They are generally cheaper, and here some of my work was paid for by a grant for low income people. I drive an hour, when traffic isn't bad, to get there, but I couldn't afford the local private people right now.
If whatever they use to numb you is not enough, they have others that might work better. They started using something else for me because it was taking so much if whatever the standard drug is.

The thing is as of now I have no money at all that can be used to cover this. If I use what little I have to cover this bills cannot be paid. I'm already screwed in that area this month as well. I was supposed to get far more money than I did but the company that handles my benefits screwed me out of most of it again with their outrageous service charges. Luckily this month will be the last I ever have to deal with them trying to rob me blind but now I can't pay my gas or Internet this month even though they are well aware the the huge fees they charge could have covered one of those bills at least.

I am really really screwed here. Not sure what to do. I have a job interview, I made it to the second round. If I don't get enough sleep due to pain I won't get the job and even if I some how manage to get the job through all of this I can't have random, nauseating pain attacks to deal with all day every day. The job I am trying for is a marketing job. A very public face time job where I have to look good and friendly. Tooth extraction in the front is not an option for someone going into marketing.

This is my problem here. Ill be lucky if I can cover my gas bill this month. Bye bye Internet though if something doesn't change and quick. As I'm about to lose my phone as well, you cannot understand how much this is LAST priority when I barely have money in the first place.

See where I'm coming from yet? I was rationing food last month and my 115 pound frame dropped down to 112 pounds. I am in a very bad situation. This is not something I could afford even if I wanted to. It's between not being in pain and being homeless or having a home but being in pain. I'm really screwed. The funny thing here is I moved to escape an abusive relationship that could have killed me and now it looks like I might die anyway due to my own bad luck.

It is very uncomfortable reading about your situation, surely there is somewhere you can go to get some help in your area. I am in the UK and I don't understand how your system works where you are. Could you not do as griffine5 suggested and go to your local dental school. Is there a system in place where you can have a small amount of treatment for free if you are in pain. Would your local library not have some information.

I don't understand a company that helps get you benefits then takes the most of it off you for work done, that can't be moral or right. It is disgusting.

I do feel really sorry for you being in so much pain, could a DR refer you somewhere to get the tooth removed. I know a missing tooth is not a good luck, but if you could just get it out, you could at least be rested for your job interview and if you explain to them that you are getting the gap sorted out when you are healed, they should understand.

I really hope you can get some help with this :XXLhug:

I actually found a dentist that may be willing to work with me when it comes to payment plans and sedation and whatever he's a friend of my friend who's son used to be an oral surgeon and willing to do a favor. I don't know yet as I have to wait til monday to call him him if he can then I have to travel back to my home state which is fine because this may be my only option, however I'll need to be there for at least a month, I'm sure with all the work I need. I hope that this works out but I really won't know til monday. The pain is kind of getting better but the oragel seems to be helping less and less, I mean for shorter periods of time so I really am not sure what to do.

Oh this is very good make the phone call and grab the chance to get your mouth healthy and out of pain. It is very lucky that you have a friend that is able to pass on his contact to you.

The very best of luck to you, I hope things work out for you :clover::grouphug:

Let us know how you get on please

I'm so glad that you might have found someone that might be able to help you. I remember those days of unrelenting pain that I had.......................where nothing you did seemed to help. It was THAT kind of pain that made me FINALLY go to the dentist (thankfully, I had and have relatively good dental insurance).
I sure hope it works out for you and that you get the treatment you so desperately need.
If you are able, please let us know how it went.
Many good wishes and many :grouphug:'s !!!!!!!!!

I must first say that, based on your posts, it sounds as though you are going through a lot more right now than just the aching tooth. Even people with fairly stable lives and nothing really much else going on get aggravated, hopeless, and scared when they have a tooth that is bothering them. Sounds to me like you are dealing with unemployment, no insurance (really, govt. insurance is not really worth what it is printed on sometimes), and other emotional and health issues. I do not mean to impose or embarrass you so I hope it doesn't come across like that. Do you have anyone who can help you sort this out? Someone who can track down something for you so that you can focus on keeping as calm and un-stressed as possible?

Mike

There is a post in success stories by this person. Looks like they got it done.

Hi FearAndLoathing I have just read your thread in the success section and Good for you AND Well done to you for going and having your tooth out. :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

Back