• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I shouldn't have joined this forum!

J

Jane123

Well there ya go. Last week I joined this forum to post about my wisdom tooth extraction anxiety...and now I have an absessed tooth! Unfortunately, it's not the one I was scheduled to have taken out. So now I have 2 teeth that need to be removed. This latest one is an upper wisdom tooth, so I'm not as panicked...but I still have to face the lower one someday (I'm too scared to do them both at once). I'm blaming it all on this forum! lol

The latest update is they want me on antibiotics until the extraction (monday). I hate taking medicine and am afraid of taking the antibiotics.
I think I just don't trust doctors / dentists etc. When it comes to my health, I never feel like they really care about me and/or the side effects of stuff they prescribe.

I also believe that I got myself so worked up over the first extraction that it caused my old root-canal / wisdom tooth to 'blow'. The thing is, I knew it would have to go someday since the wisdom tooth on bottom is broke off, but I never expected it to be so soon.

I am so depressed over these extractions. I'm 51 years old and worry about everything from infections to nerve damage. I know many of you here are facing multiple extractions and I feel like a wimp being so afraid of '2'...but my fears are not about going, it's about the outcome and possible life-altering affects they could bring.

Oh well, enough said. I just wish my old dentist had told me to get these teeth removed at an early age....when complications are at their lowest.

Sorry Jane that you are going through so much crap! I'm not understanding why you feel you shouldn't have joined this forum.

Yeah I know. I just feel like it was bad karma or something...sort of like my tooth having sympathy for everybody else's problems! I mean, I replied to stormy and begged her to go to the dentist with her absess tooth...and now here I am with an absessed tooth and not wanting to go thru with the antibiotics or extraction.

Just bummed thats all. If the moderator would like to delete this thread.. that's fine. My sarcasm is hard to understand at times.

Not to worry Jane, I got it!! (The LOL at the end was also a great hint that sarcasm was involved!) Funny, when I read the heading I thought you were going to say that because you joined the forum you were now heading to the dentist's chair. You threw me for a loop! ;D

Sorry to hear about the abscess! I still have my wisdom teeth as well and they are so far back there that it is a challenge to reach them, I'm practically a contortionist at this point! ;) Look at it this way, 51 is still not that old, it's the new 30's! Better to have something happen now than in another 20, 25 years when it may be more difficult to recover from. I know that doesn't make it easier but I'm sure that everything will turn out just fine.

Hopefully the antibiotics won't give you any sort of side effects. I've had a few very minor stomach issues with a few different ones but most don't affect me. If you were going to be on them long term I would suggest probiotics to keep your digestive system on track but for just a few short days they probably wouldn't help much. (I'm not a big fan of taking any meds. either but the probiotics have the same microorgnanisms as yogurt and helped the few times I had those stomach issues.)

Best of luck with your extraction. I hope you have a wonderful success story to post afterwards!
:cheers:

Understandable. I have the same kind of sarcasm. I'm also the same way. I tell everyone else to go the dentist, but yet when it comes to me..:o LOL!! I don't blame you for being pissed off. I was in the same boat before. In fact I have to go and get an upper wisdom tooth extracted on Monday. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to take care of my teeth if I have to go through this. Everybody should be born with no teeth..lol.

Don't be bummed Jane. Just take it one day at a time. The antibiotics are needed so you can get the work done. If you don't then the novacane won't work when the time comes to have it out.
Cheer up! I know it's hard to do. Just think of it as another bump in the road that will smooth out soon! Take care and good luck!:)

You really do need to take the antibiotics to clear up the infection somewhat before the extraction. Good luck :grouphug:

Well there ya go. Last week I joined this forum to post about my wisdom tooth extraction anxiety...and now I have an absessed tooth! Unfortunately, it's not the one I was scheduled to have taken out. So now I have 2 teeth that need to be removed. This latest one is an upper wisdom tooth, so I'm not as panicked...but I still have to face the lower one someday (I'm too scared to do them both at once). I'm blaming it all on this forum! lol

The latest update is they want me on antibiotics until the extraction (monday). I hate taking medicine and am afraid of taking the antibiotics.
I think I just don't trust doctors / dentists etc. When it comes to my health, I never feel like they really care about me and/or the side effects of stuff they prescribe.

I also believe that I got myself so worked up over the first extraction that it caused my old root-canal / wisdom tooth to 'blow'. The thing is, I knew it would have to go someday since the wisdom tooth on bottom is broke off, but I never expected it to be so soon.

I am so depressed over these extractions. I'm 51 years old and worry about everything from infections to nerve damage. I know many of you here are facing multiple extractions and I feel like a wimp being so afraid of '2'...but my fears are not about going, it's about the outcome and possible life-altering affects they could bring.

Oh well, enough said. I just wish my old dentist had told me to get these teeth removed at an early age....when complications are at their lowest.

Hi Jane,
I'm 48 and just like you :) I didn't trust any dentists or doctors until recently, but I'm building a very good, trusting relationship with my dentist over time. First of all, you need to take the antibiotic to start clearing up any infection that is present. I'd be far more concerned about the infection than the antibiotics! Just make sure you eat yogurt while taking them and you'll avoid yeast infections. As far as nerve damage from an extraction, it's VERY rare. I've had 9 extractions and they were all a breeze. Was I totally freaked out about them? Yes, but it turned out to be a big waste of my time and energy as it all went well with no pain or complications. Your fears about this are far worse than the actual procedure and aftermath :) I promise you that you'll be fine!
Peace,
Susan

Thanks everyone for the support. My appointment is for 8:00 tomorrow morning and I'm starting to feel a tad sick. I have been through so much with my teeth over the years, I'm not which is the strongest emotion: sadness, fear or depression.

I probably won't get much sleep tonight and I wish it wasn't so dang early in the morning. I am not a morning person! lol Anyhow, thanks for the encouraging words. I've taken some of my antibiotic..but I didn't start it until yesterday. The tooth looks and feels fine at this point. Hmmmm. There's this part of me that suspects my dentist just wanted it out of my mouth because it's on it's last leg. Oh how I had the courage to get both teeth pulled at once...but I don't.

OK OK.. enough rambling. My stomach hurts! Later.

Jane just to add to the great advice you've had re. antibiotics - a pre and or pro biotic supplement (from health food shops) may be useful, too. And re. yogurt, ensure it's 'Live' (with live cultures in), so you get the benefit, as that will restore all the 'good' bugs to your system and keep things on an even keel.

Good news so far! I survived the extraction of my upper wisdom tooth. Took longer than I expected, but the nitrous kept me calm. It's been almost 4 hours and very little pain.(I'm taking ibuprophen unless it kicks into high gear).

The very good news is that lower wisdom tooth that needs to come out is pretty far away from the nerve. The oral surgeon told me the tooth today was much more high risk because of the sinus cavity involvement.

So now I have to schedule that extraction. My sister is trying to make me schedule it today..I'm like NO WAY! lol

Anyways, thanks again for the support...I'm sure I'll need it again for the next extraction!

I am so happy to hear it is going well for you.
Cingradulations...you did it.

Now relax the next fiew days.:jump:

Back