• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I started with the phone call

V

Vix

I posted here years ago, sadly things have gotten worse. But enough is enough. I won't go into my 30's in the exact same position.

I've been crying and having panic attacks all morning. Just moments ago I finally found a practice to phone. Friday morning I'm going in. Lets see how it goes. But I'm done with hating my teeth. Done.

Hi Vix,

Good for you to commit yourself to take care of your dental health. It is wonderful you are taking care of your teeth at a young age.
Please feel free to ask and share whether about teeth, fear, insurance and whatever comes to mind.

You just found a practice and give them a call? Wow, give yourself a pat on the back! I had needed about two weeks to write an email to a dental practice as I was at the beginning on my journey.

How did they treat you on the phone? Have you had a bit of a chat about your anxiety?

Go for it!

You got this.

Vix,

So happy that you made that call! It is a great step and a very brave one.. walking into the fear for the sake of your well being and peace. It is a huge step to call. and every step is a big one. so be proud of every little step! I hope they are very kind to you. Is there a particular reason you picked this practice?

@Dr. Daniel & Dg6300 - Thank you so much.

@Enarete - I probably made it sound more straightforward than what it is in reality. You could say I have been trying to make a dentist appointment the past year and a half (in particular), just things have reached a head and I can't put it off any more. My first choice dentist wasn't available, they were booked up until April and I can't be waiting any longer.
It was an awkward phone conversation, I just was off the back of having a panic attack and bawling my eyes out for an hour trying to make the call, thought I got it out of my system but then I started choking up on the phone, but the receptionist was good about it, she was speaking to me quite... naturally? She wasn't putting on formal voice, she told me I can pop down today(!) and just have a chat with the dentist, that the ball is in my court and I don't have to do anything with him today if I don't want to.

@krlovesherkids777 - Thank you so much. I hope they are understanding as well. This practice wasn't my first choice, but I went with it because it had good reviews, it's close enough to me (walking distance, so there is not so much mental build up when I'm on the way to the place), it's also quite small, it doesn't give the whole white walls and white coats vibe. Also my mother-in-law of sorts knows the dentist well, her daughter worked with him, she said he's lovely. I only learnt that after the fact, so that makes me feel a tiny bit better.

Update. I did it. He gave me a plan with the work I need done.

Next appointment is scheduled for Wednesday, getting a filling done. He's doing this to ease me into the process. I'm aiming for an appointment a week at this stage. I'm intending to become bored of the place.

So far what's noted is that I need 6 filling and 2 perio deep cleaning treatments according to the sheet given to me, and a tooth extracted.

Vix

Wow! This is great to hear you went and he sounds really great ! I know myself I think its great to go often at first in small chunks to gain that positive momentum and trust. It will help so much. I've had I think 6 appts for myself and one for my son w my new dentist in the last 4 months and one next week. It helps a lot! Look forward to hear how the fillings go! You did an awesome job with all this!!

Vix

Wow! This is great to hear you went and he sounds really great ! I know myself I think its great to go often at first in small chunks to gain that positive momentum and trust. It will help so much. I've had I think 6 appts for myself and one for my son w my new dentist in the last 4 months and one next week. It helps a lot! Look forward to hear how the fillings go! You did an awesome job with all this!!
Thanks so much, you have no idea how great it is getting feedback like this from people like yourself. I'm sure people may think it makes no difference, but it makes a world of difference to me.

He said there is a chance I may need medication to help calm me, but he wants to try and work me through fears first a chunk at a time and not overwhelm me. He said that while medication can be very helpful, he wants me to try and progress successfully as far as I can through my own work, rather than with medication. That can come later if I need it.

He said there is a chance I may need medication to help calm me, but he wants to try and work me through fears first a chunk at a time and not overwhelm me. He said that while medication can be very helpful, he wants me to try and progress successfully as far as I can through my own work, rather than with medication. That can come later if I need it.

Congrats and well done! :perfect:

Sounds like you had found an amazing dentist who is willing to works one step at a time with you and at your own pace which is the best approach to make you able to get back to check ups regularly once you are done with the needed treatment. Delighted to read this!

Give yourself a big pat on your back and hope you have thought of a way of treating yourself today for this achievment:)

Bravo.

Such courage. Well done.

Soon dental anxiety is going to be afraid of you!

Here are photos of dental anxiety when it hears that Vix is showing up:

:frantic:

:hidesbehindsofa:

Thank you guys, so much and Dg6300 your post made me laugh out loud, first time I've laughed while on this forum!

My filling is going to be at 9am tomorrow morning. I'm not nervous (weird, I know, right?), not right now, but that's going to change as soon as I step through their doors again.

I'm a dog trainer, I'm really familiar with counter conditioning and desensitization. Gonna try and use this to my advantage on myself, perhaps try and treat myself to something each time I achieve something on this journey. I'm also really glad that my dentist so far seems to be thinking along the same lines in terms of desensitization, whether he realises or not.

My only worry right now is my tongue, am I going to be able to keep my tongue out of the way? lol.

Good for you. You’ve got this.

I have the most unruly tongue: I tell them ahead of time, and they know ways to gently and painlessly keep it aside.

We are laughing about it a moment later: like most things with anxiety, if we are honest and communicate, most people are completely lovely.

Good luck tomorrow. Remember that a little anxiety is normal. You are by no means unusual.

Let us know how it goes.

I’m now in the waiting room. Not half as nervous as last time, starting to feel more determined. It really is the first step that’s the hardest!

Hi Vix,

you might be already done with your appointment, but anyway: a lot of luck and may all go well for you! Let us know how things went.

To your question about your tongue: do not worry about this, keeping your tongue out of the way if it appears to be restless is the job of your dental nurse. She will just make sure to hold the suction instrument or later a mirror gently in a way that prevents your tongue to collide with the spot that is been working on, if that makes sense :)

Have a lovely day, hope all goes well and keep us posted

I did it! It was fine, completely painless. Didn’t feel the numbing injection. I’m still all numb on half my mouth but that’s fine. It took about 40 minutes the entire process. The dentists attitude was completely normal, relaxed and casual, exactly the kind of energy I want from a dentist.

He told me I did well and “got it together” in the end. The first part my body was shaking like crazy and it was so frustrating, but as I got familiar with what’s going on, it got easier.

On to the next! Another filling. Yay...
I haven’t made the appointment yet, because I’m not sure what days I’m working, but I’m ready to go again, the worse stuff is yet to come, he is still easing me into the experience.

Also, I’m rewarding myself each time I go in with something cute or positive, there’s a shop near by. Here’s today’s reward!

Attachments

• C5C5CC66-8A28-4A66-A523-87C444ADF570.jpeg
    C5C5CC66-8A28-4A66-A523-87C444ADF570.jpeg
    908.1 KB · Views: 2
That's great to read, congrats and well done! :cheer::cheer::cheer::you-rock:

Love your reward, looks so cute! :love:

Glad to read that your dentist's attitude is exactly what you need to feel comfortable during the treatment.

It's now gone 4pm here, the numbness was almost completely gone at around 1-2pm. I have eaten with no issues or weirdness, no pain at all, my mouth feels the same as it did before. Hoping that my experience with my first ever filling could help others even the tiniest bit, if someone has never had a filling before and is putting it off, I've managed it and it was an experience that was 100 times worse in my head than in reality.

On to the next...

Really great to read Vix!!! great positive momentum for sure!!

"The dentists attitude was completely normal, relaxed and casual, exactly the kind of energy I want from a dentist.

He told me I did well and “got it together” in the end. The first part my body was shaking like crazy and it was so frustrating, but as I got familiar with what’s going on, it got easier. "

Sounds like you found someone you are comfortable with this is a huge part of progressing ! Finding someone you can build trust with .. so huge!! Congrats!! Look forward to more good reports.. It also sounds you did amazing yourself even though it started out a little shakey,, you seemed to really end up doing so well!!

Well done.

You can be proud of all the courage you have demonstrated.

Enjoy.

Back