• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I think I'm losing my mind

Princessjj,

I 100% agree with Enarete and hope you can take some time off and be especially kind to yourself. You are doing an amazing job with all this and doing everything you can! Wishing you the best too! :grouphug:

Sorry I haven't updated in a few days. I'm still slightly cranky (my husband would probably describe me as a raging bitch). Anyway husband made an appointment with dentist #4 to get the wisdom tooth out and didnt tell me until 40 minutes before the appointment time. I'm sure you can all guess my state of mind when he told me. Anyway I got it done and the dentist swore advil and tylenol would take care of all the pain from the extraction and gum thing on the bottom. He also said I would be able to eat solid foods again by yesterday.

The pain was pretty bad. I have been taking huge amounts of advil and regular amounts of tylenol anyway so I don't know if I became immune to it or what but it didn't do a darn thing. My husband went out and got me CDB or CBD oil (the spray stuff you can get at the gas station). It worked okay but wore off very quickly. I would recommend it to anybody but maybe get it from a shop instead of your local gas station. Thursday the extraction site pain got a little better although I had to stop taking advil because I was getting a burning feeling in my stomach. I tried advil again yesterday and the same thing happened.

Anyway I woke up yesterday and made some hash browns covered with poached eggs. I took the first bite and tried chewing. Pain exploded at the extraction site and my usual pain. I had true moo high protein chocolate milk for dinner since I obviously wasn't ready for chewing yet.

My husband wanted to go to summer snow day festival today. It was advertised as a family event. I thought I would try eating again and maybe have a beer and just relax. I didnt realize it was unlimited free beer and there were so many drunk people around. One passed out right next to the spot where my son and I were sitting, another one almost fell on my son. I wasn't very happy at all by that point but decided to get two tacos without a shell (I'm at the point where I can now manipulate food in my mouth to be able to swallow it whole). I waited 25 minutes for my tacos sans shell and when the owner handed me my food she told me they didn't have forks. I went to several other food trucks and nobody had a fork. My husband came back with funnel cake so I decided to try chewing again and it still hurt. I actually cried at that point. I am so hungry and so fed up with not being able to eat. Husband brought me a beer to try to make things better but I didnt even want to try drinking it on an empty stomach in the heat. It may have been better if I was able to take advil but I didn't want to risk the indigestion/heartburn/reflux or whatever the burning in my stomach is called.

I am so beyond disappointed right now. I was hoping to be back to normal yesterday. I was all set to take my son out for pizza and just eat. I've lost 15 lbs in the past three and a half weeks and I am literally dreaming about food. I am also still not able to sleep more than six hours a night. The pain wakes me up whenever I roll on my right side.

I feel like taking the wisdom tooth out did nothing but cause me more problems. I did screw up and drink a soda the following morning which was apparently a big no no after an extraction. I was stupid and didnt read the post care instructions. I hope I didn't do something to screw up the extraction site. Google said there's a risk of dry socket but my husband said I wouldn't be able to even talk with dry socket so its probably not that.

Just for fun, the periodist sent all my paperwork to the hospital's oral surgeon to get the rest of my wisdom teeth out. The oral surgeon's office called me on Thursday to schedule an appointment. I cried on the phone and told the office assistant I needed a break from dentists for awhile. She said that's fine because her earliest appointment is at the end of November. I don't even know if I will be able to go through it again at this point, especially since they aren't causing problems (both wisdom teeth are on the left side) and one is impacted but starting to poke out of the gums. According to google, the top wisdom teeth are easy to take out with minimal pain. Obviously I'm not doing so hot with getting that done so I don't know if I will be able to deal with the pain from a bottom, impacted tooth.

I really hope my next post is talking about being able to eat pain free but I'm quickly losing hope.

Thank you again for all your support. It really helps to know I'm not going through this alone.

I’m sorry it’s been hard after the extraction, but glad that you were able to get it done finally.

I really sympathize with you on eating. I’ve been on basically a liquid or soft food diet for a month due to an issue with a tooth, and now I’m having trouble with another one. It’s very disheartening.

Take it easy and baby the extraction site some more. If the pain continues you can call the doc on Monday. I do think we all react different—I had a friend who had several wisdom teeth out and went out to eat with me the next day. When I had a molar extracted I was on a liquid diet for almost a week and then a soft food diet for a bit.

I agree with your husband, you’d know if you had dry socket. I do imagine much of the discomfort you are feeling is because you aren’t able to take Advil/ibuprofen to reduce the swelling. Usually the swelling is at its worst by 72 hours so hopefully you will start to feel better soon!

Sunday update. I woke up this morning not feeling any better so I spent the day in bed (the lack of sleep and food is really making me feel rundown). I also noticed a fairly big stain on my pillow around the area my mouth is when I'm sleeping. It's a fairly big stain but there is also a small orange stain in the middle. I got a shower about an hour ago and cleaned my ears like I do every day but this time something that looked like a blood clot came out on the q-tip. I didn't think much of it because I'm prone to ear infections. Less than 15 minutes later I felt something fuzzy ish on the extraction site so I rubbed it with my tongue and it looks like it's a very small piece of a blood clot. Is this normal 5 days after a tooth extraction? I included a picture of what I pulled from my mouth. The ear and pillow stain are too gross to post.

Attachments

• 20190728_201959.jpg
    20190728_201959.jpg
    900.8 KB · Views: 14
I have an exciting update. My extraction site is definitely healing, it's still swollen but it doesn't feel like an open sore anymore. The bottom feels the same but my husband found a store than sells CDB (CBD?) and the clerk helped me pick out something she swore would help. I took it this morning and was actually able to chew rice comfortably. I took a bite of my sons pizza later which didnt feel so hot but I'm still optimistic considering I couldn't even chew rice a few days ago. We are also going on vacation with my parents in a few days and like many moms, my mom is making me a bunch of my childhood favorite foods (apparently I didn't like chewing foods as a kid).

I was able to swallow ground beef, rice and sour cream yesterday as well as the rice today. I can't believe the amount of energy I have after eating. I was also able to sleep 8 hours last night for the first time in four weeks.

Now onto the bad news. Dentist #4 wants me to get my other two wisdom teeth removed. He wants me to go to an oral surgeon to be sedated since one is impacted. Has anybody ever had dental sedation? I'm really hoping to not even remember the appointment since I'm terrified of somebody cutting into my gum. Is that even possible without going into the hospital? My consultation isnt until the end of November and I'm trying not to drive myself crazy but the thought keeps nagging at me. I also tried taking advil again and still dealt with stomach issues even though I ate so I'm going to make a doctor's appointment to see what he recommends. I also have miserable malignant syndrome (my leg bones rotated so my knees face each other when my feet are straight) and I really rely on anti-inflammatories to handle the pain and swelling from that. I'm hoping I didn't give myself an ulcer from taking so many the past month but I think I do need to get advice from a medical professional instead of google.

Glad you are feeling a bit better and have been able to get some rest.

I had IV sedation to get two wisdom teeth removed. It was done at the surgeon's office, not a hospital. Once the anesthesia kicked in I have no memory of anything that happened after until they were done with the surgery. If you want to read some more success stories about wisdom teeth removal there are some below.

My husband is trying to expand his line of credit at the bank so I can go back to the dentist who doesn't take my insurance (but I really liked). There is no way I can pay for an oral surgeon out of pocket. I really hope they let him.
Have you applied for Care Credit? It is very quick. Then you can go to an emergency dentist.