• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

i think im nearly over my phobia

C

crystal87

hi everyone.

i have had a phobia of dentists from a very young age.from the smell of the place right to the point of the needle.ive never been worried about the work being done tho which is strange.i dont mind extractions or fillings.the thing i hate the most is the needle.in the past most of my work has been done under sedation.

so a few weeks ago i pushed myself into going to the dentist as i knew i needed work doing, and i dont want to lose my teeth.both of my second premolars had holes in them for about a year but as i was so scared of going to the dentist i just brought a diy fillings kit and filled them myself.so a year later i started suffering with really bad pain.i went through this pain for a whole week.i was losing so much sleep and struggling to cope as i have a 5 month old baby and a 5 year old to care for.i just couldnt take the pain any longer.i managed to pluck up the courage and call the dentist and book an appointment.he told me i needed 2 root canals and 2 fillings.also a cleaning.i was so scared about the root canal from what ive heard and read.so the closest appointment they had was 3 weeks away!!.so i thought wel l i will just have to keep taking painkillers as its not extreme.2 days later the pain became unbareable.i was begging them to see me,so he put me on antibiotics as 1 of the teeth that needed a root canal had an infection.so i managed to bring the appointment forward by a week so i had to wait 2 weeks.i have been up every single night.and i have been in pain every single day for 3 weeks now.well today was the day.when i woke up this morning i was happy to be going but sooooo scared.this was the first time i have had treatment without sedation for a very long time.anyway it was absolutley fine.i have no idea what i was worried about.the needle did sting a bit it did not hurt one bit.my dentist is great which makes all the diffrenc,.and for the first time in 3 weeks I AM IN NO PAIN AT ALL!! :):):) AND I FEEL GREAT!!!.i am soo proud of my self for going.this may seem weird but im looking forward to getting the rest done.im getting the 2 teeth that are having root canals capped also so i am having that done in 2 weeks time to the first one,then has starting the seond root canal.

im so glad i did it and i am so glad to be rid of the pain now.:jump::jump:

That's wonderful to hear!

And isn't it great to be able to do it with no sedation?

Enjoy happy days without toothache!

:jump:

Back