• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I think that I have the worst teeth in the world.

B

bovary

Hi, I'm new and desperate.

When I was a kid I endured several years of tooth extractions and 'train track' braces to straighten my teeth. I have to be honest it did put me off dentists, but my teeth were great.

When I was 20 I had an accident and damaged my front teeth. I had root canal surgery, a crown and 2 veneers. That put me off dentists a bit more!

At 26 I was having wisdom tooth issues, I had 2 of them out (very bravely!!) and the dentist mentioned that boundary of my crown was poorly done, and that I had 2 options, get it fixed asap or wait for it to fall out.

I decided to wait.

Fast forward 10 years, where I've been in that river in egypt about my teeth.

My crown needs something doing to it. It hurts (in the gum, right by my nose). It looks bad, I'm sure that I've got gum disease and 2 of my back teeth have holes in them.

I'm worried about my teeth under the veneers too.

I really want to see a dentist, but I'm scared that he/she will take one look in my mouth and run off screaming.

When I had my wisdom teeth out the dentist said that there was some bone loss around the root canal/crown and that there had been along term infection there.

Can a dentist please tell me the worst case scenario here, and would they run off screaming if they saw my mouth.

I am diligent about brushing, flossing, mouthwashing, avoiding sugar - it just sucks that my teeth have ended up in such a state.

It's taken a lot for me to post this, I've been lying to myself about the state of my teeth for a long time.

Thanks.:cry:

Hello Bovary:

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I can guarantee you that the dentist will look at you mouth and run screaming into the night. I know you feel that your teeth and gums are the worst in the world. Remember, this is a highly subjective opinion brought about by the fear and anxiety.

Dentists have seen everything and their life's work is to fix damaged teeth. They have seen everything. I work in healthcare. When I have a patient with a difficult challenge that is diminishing their quality of life what I feel is compassion and a desire to help them overcome the challenge.

I also overcame dental fear. I felt the same things you are feeling. I convinced myself that when my dentist looked at my teeth he would start inhaling the nitrous oxide! :devilish:

He was not amazed or stunned at all. We simply devised a treatment program and fixed the problems.

I realized that my beliefs were the anxiety talking. I can also guarantee you that the physical, emotional and mental pain you are feeling from the anxiety and fear is far greater than any you will have during dental treatment.

Anxiety gains power by you avoiding the fear. It takes courage to face fear but you can do it. If I can help in any way, PM me. I have written some articles on anxiety for a psych journal. If you would like them, please let me know.

You can overcome this. You have the power. Believe in yourself and your ability.

Blessings and Peace to you :)

No worries...they won't run screaming, they'll probably see dollar signs in their heads though. That's what they see with my teeth. My husband has 4 teeth missing on the bottom, and 3 on the top, and none of them were ever replaced with crowns. His dentist's reaction: "Doesn't he have such BEAUTIFUL TEETH". My husband can be the poster boy for dentist offices all over the country. I sometimes feel I have the worst teeth in the world, too...your not alone. :)

Im also in the same boat, I got all my teeth right now, at 26, *Except wisdom* but that will change, I can guarentee it.

I got a filling done, and that hurts slightly. Im not doing a root canal, so ill live with it until it hurts TOO much or falls out. Least it is cavity free, haha.

I also have another 5-6 cavities, and im going monday to check my one tooth to fix a small chip-cavity in my front tooth, very small but I figure get the front fixed now. Still, I have another 5-6 cavities. 86 dollars a pop. (lookin at around 500.) Plus this one that is hurting me, extraction, root canal,or hopefully a bite adjustment *which is what im praying for*. This isnt even in the 500 dollar cost.

I drink coke, my BIG downfall, candy is my weakness. My dad has no teeth, mom is losing all hers. I come from a family line of bad teeth.:censored:

Youre defintely not alone.

I'm seeing a dentist on monday morning. :hidesbehindsofa:

I'm having an exam, x-rays and a chat.

:scared:

Back