• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I thought I would start one of these now the deed is done...

A

Aj64

I have been posting here for quite some time with my dental issue (heres a link if you want to depress yourself) https://www.dentalfearcentral.org/forum/threads/at-my-wits-end.26282/

Long story short. Upper left molar had a total of 3 root canals done to try and save it, and took about 18 months of my life away from me, but I FINALLY had it out about an hour ago.

I chickened out once already and came very close to running today. Even after the numbing injections were in and I was well and truly in the chair my instincts were telling me to run away.

But now it is over and done. I am sat on my bed with a soggy teabag clenched in my teeth to try and get a good clot to form and trying not to panic thinkng about the recovery process.

The tooth was very troublesome to get out, and even after he sectioned it, it broke into lots of little pieces. The palatal root was very close to my sinus floor and I was really scared of it puncturing when the tooth was taken out, but thankfully, it seems like it didn't (now I just have to be careful not to sneeze or something for the next 10 days or so in case it opens it up). He was also concerned that I didn't bleed much afterwards and mentioned dry socket (I am not even going to let myself think of that right now).

The numbing has already started to wear off, and I have taken Ibuprofen to catch any pain that may come. I am taking sudafed to reduce the possibility of me sneezing (thanks lots mountainmama for that suggestion. In fact, thanks to EVERYONE on here. You have all been so kind to me through all of this)!

I will update this over the recovery so it can inform people who might be going through this what to expect. I know that reading other people's honest accounts helped me prepare for my surgery, and if I can help someone else in any way at all, I will be happy.

Last edited:
Very well done, Aj64 :jump::jump::jump: soooo lovely to read that you had made it! I know it was a long journey and you have been really brave. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and look forward to read your updates

Thankyou so much Enarete. I am proud of myself. I really didn't think I would be able to go through with it. The numbing has worn off now and it doesnt really hurt. I am bleeding lots now though, which might actually be a good thing for forming a good clot.

Well done. Ibuprofen is really great: just be sure to stay ahead of any pain (which shouldn’t be too bad at any rate).

Also, no sneezing for ten days?! I don’t know if I could handle that! I love sneezing.

I have stopped bleedingnow and a really big blood clot has formed (its about the size of the tooth that was removed haha. I am so scared of it coming out now though.

I am proud of myself. I really didn't think I would be able to go through with it.

You have all reasons to be proud. And let me tell you a secret: as you have conquered this, now you can conquer anything ;)

Congrats on getting it done. Take it easy for the next few days and you should heal up great.

Day 2. Woke up with blood in my mouth, but not too much. Managed to gently clean the teeth on the other side of my mouth with a small toothbrush and a little tooth paste.

The sinus on that side feels a little congested and inflamed. I'm hoping it's just part of the general swelling and not a perforation that the surgeon didn't spot.

My jaw is achy, and that side of my face too, but so far the pain is minimal and I have taken a few more ibuprofen and will continue to every 4 or 5 hours.

Aj64. Just catching up to this and wanted to say congrats!!! How huge.!! You really hung in there and were so courageous!! Hoping the recovery goes quick and smooth !

Thankyou so much krlovesherkids777 :)
I am really pleased with myself for actually getting it done at last. It was a big deal for me as such a nervous patient. I didn't have any form of sedation either and didn't panic once the procedure had started. I think a large part if it was the surgeon...he was incredible.

Evening of day 2.
I have had some pain and jaw stiffness through the day. Again, nothing too bad really...around a 3/10. Also my sinus feels a bit tight on the side the tooth was extracted. Weirdly I have a bit of head pain on the opposite side where nothing was done.

I have managed to eat mashed up boiled eggs today and a whole pint of Greek yoghurt. I had to eat very slowly as I'm terrified of upsetting the blood clot.

Evening of day 3

The pain has been a bit worse today. Around a 5/10. It's mostly in the cheek area above where the extraction is rather than the hole itself. The clot is still there, but the sides are shrinking a bit and the centre is now a pearly white colour (granulation tissue?).

My sinus on the left side is still very inflamed but the sudafed is keeping the congestion away so far. If the sinus foesnt ease by the beginning of next week I may see my gp in case I need antibiotics.

I have eaten a whole tin of tuna with some mayonnaise. A pint of Greek yoghurt and a mashed sweet potato. My appetite seems to be coming back now (I eat a lot normally haha)

The pain is usually the worst a few days after the surgery and then it improves. Sounds like you are healing up well.

Evening of Day 4

The pain has been going down gradually as the day has gone on. Down to around a 2/10 at the moment

The clot has shrunk a bit more and a lot of it is turning white now. The hole still hasn't begun to close, but the gums around the wound look pink and healthy. I'm still really impressed that the surgeon managed to get the stubborn tooth out without damaging any of the bone of the socket and not even breaking the gum around it!

I've been really hungry today, but still being careful to eat foods i dont have to chew. I have eaten 2 mashed sweet potatoes with mashed broccoli. A tin of tuna with mayonnaise. A pint of yoghurt and a pint of raspberry jelly with 3 scoops of icecream.

You’re on your way!

Evening of Day 5

I have had minimal pain today. Barely more than discomfort really. There are definite signs of new gum tissue around the edges of the hole which hopefully means soon I will be out of the risk of the dreaded dry socket. I can still see the clot in the socket and the white tissue seems to be establishing itself along the edges now. It's amazing how the body regenerates and coordinates new tissue...remarkable really.

My appetite is definitely back in full force now. I really want to eat solid food but still taking it very careful until I am certain I wont upset the blood clot. To that end I have eaten 4 mashed boiled eggs. A tin of tuna with mayo. A pint of Greek yoghurt with honey. 2 protein shakes, 2 mashed sweet potatoes with brocoli and butter, 3 scoops of icecream and a small tiramisu (I told you all I eat a lot haha).

Eat! Eat!

I’m glad you are feeling better.

I’m glad to see you posting here: you’re an excellent example for the newcomer.

Thanks Dg6300. Like I said I want to help anyone facing s similar situation to myself. It's quite hard to find diaries of dental experiences so want to be as honest and descriptive as I can. I am so scared of the dentist so if I can do this anyone can I think (even though I chickened out once before haha).

Evening day 6

Sadly the pain has comeback again today. Back up to around a 5/10 :(
I dont think its the dreaded dry socket though as I can still see some of the blood clot and white granulation tissue. It has certainly shrunk a lot but it is still there and I cant see any exposed bone. Annoyingly there hasnt been any extra gum growth around the wound today. There is still a big old hole in my mouth.

But hopefully tomorrow the pain will go again. I have eaten lots again. About the same as yesterday. I am determined to give my body the best chance possible to heal. I don't want this to last much longer. I miss solid food haha!

Back