• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I thought I would start one of these now the deed is done...

Get ready: solid foods are in your future. Your near future, I believe.

Also, don't believe the hype about dry sockets. Beware Dr. Google.

You hang in there.

Evening of day 7

Today has been another painful day around a 7/10. The socket is now full of a yellow coloured material. Not sure if that's normal. I thought it might possibly be yoghurt so tried to rinse it out with salt water a few times but it didn't come out so maybe it's new tissue?

If the pain is no better when I wake up tomorrow I will phone the surgery to see if they think I should come in to be checked. I'm going to take a sleeping tablet so I get a decent sleep

Evening of Day 8

I saw the surgeon today and he said I definitely dont have dry socket (phew) but its healing a bit slower than expected. He also cant figure out why I'm in so much pain. The pain has reduced a lot today though...back down to a 5/10. But it looks like this might take longer than I was hoping. More liquidised and mashed food for me for at least another week :(

Hopefully your recovery starts to speed up this week! :hug4:

Sorry I missed yesterday.
Morning of Day 10

I managed to eat a slice if pizza yesterday!!! I cut it up into tiny pieces and barely chewed. It was the best pizza I have ever tasted :)

The hole now has lots of granulation tissue again. It seems to grow then recede then grow back again. I think each time it recedes it leaves a bit of new gum.

I can now explore my mouth a little with my tongue and it feels weird with my new gap. It was a huge tooth. The 2 teeth either side of it need a decent clean as they have been a bit abandoned for over a year now as the pain in the old tooth prevented me from really brushing that area properly. I will ask for a descaling once it's all healed up...and then be terrified of that probably haha

Evening of Day 11

I ate duck with noodles tonight! :)
The healing seems to have really moved forward the past 2 days. Pain has dropped down to barely noticable and I'm feeling happy and optimistic. Fingers crossed by this time next week the hole will be just a dent.

Been a few days.
Day 15
Healing is well on it's way now. Half the socket is now completely covered with new pink gum, and the other half is full of white granulation tissue. I'm carefully eating normally again, avoiding that side of my mouth. Hopefully by the weekend the gum will cover it all.

Last edited:
Day 22

Sadly I have had bad pain all weekend and it has been a bank holiday here so couldn't be seen until today. Went back to my good old surgeon and he had a look and said that it is healing but still slower than expected. He gave me 7 days of metronidazole on the chance that there might be a residual infection in the bone of the socket, but otherwise he cant understand why it is hurting so much. Hopefully the pain will reduce again as the past week before there was very little pain and I was feeling pretty good.

Back