• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I want to cancel my appointment.

I

Ithastobedone

Hello all, I can't believe that I've only just found this forum, I wish I had looked years ago.

So I can't remember when I last saw the dentist, I think it's over 10 years. I've always needed fillings since being a small child and my mother was always terrified hence I am too.
So I take good care of my teeth as I am too scared not to. I have clean, white teeth, no pain. I have lots of amalgam fillings, one gold crown, I've had one extraction after a failed root canal and that was all years ago.
Six months ago I was eating something and part of my top molar came out, the tooth is filled and he filling remains but the side has gone up to the gum line...no pain and now lovely and smooth as so many months have passed. It's sensitive to cold but that's it. I'm going in morning. I am terrified and thinking about cancelling. Anyone know what I can expect??
Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome! You can expect them to have a look at your tooth an likely they will want to take an x-ray. Only a dentist can tell you what can be done to fix the tooth, but there are a lot of things they can do these days to save teeth. Taking care of it now will definitely make it more likely that a dentist can fix it for you. Is there something you're most anxious about?

Hi, thanks for replying.
I know it sounds completely ridiculous but I'm scared of something that happened to my mum, she went to dentist (terrified) and needed antibiotics and she died around an hour after the dental appointment from anaphylaxis. I know it's not directly related to dentist but the irrational part of me is proper scared. :(
I think I'm also scared of root canal, although I've had one before. I actually feel a right mess this evening.

Soo sorry about what happened with your mother, I can't imagine going through that , I would be very scared to go to . The Trauma we experience or those close to us really affect us for years to come!! it is so normal.. and scary.. When Iwas really scared I emailed the clinic and they emailed me back a very compassionate and caring resonse and I felt alot better like I picked a very good place and that reassured me and gave me more peace to make the step of going.. But if there is no time. just take it a step at a time and if you feel overwhelmed then just slow it down and let them know! Be right up front about your fears , if they are good you will feel better, if they don't treat you well. you know that was not the place even though its hard.. I really hope it goes well.!!

Hi, thanks for replying.
I know it sounds completely ridiculous but I'm scared of something that happened to my mum, she went to dentist (terrified) and needed antibiotics and she died around an hour after the dental appointment from anaphylaxis. I know it's not directly related to dentist but the irrational part of me is proper scared. :(
I think I'm also scared of root canal, although I've had one before. I actually feel a right mess this evening.

I should have done something similar to you, maybe told them when I registered but I was do scared. I'll see how I feel in the morning, I do have to go soon though before it starts hurting. I hate toothache :(

Maybe consider it a first step.. even if you just feel comfortable to walk into the office, if it gets overhwelming go into the bathroom or leave , let them know you are over anxious. either they will help you , reschedule you or if they are not pleasnt try somewhere that is? just take as many steps as you feel comfortable.. ? and if they are kind you maybe makke it all the way through :)

I will give it a go, I hope that I can be brave enough to go.