• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I want to shout from the rooftops !

E

evedragonfly71

I’ve been attempting to get myself back to the dentist after at least 11 years of being traumatized by a deep scaling and panic attack at a simple checkup.
I’ve been following this forum and at 49 years old, I decided it was time to finally get back to a dentist so I could hopefully keep my teeth for the rest of my life.
I knew that I had a lot of buildup as I could see and feel it on my front teeth. I convinced myself that I would be shamed at the dentist, that they would have to pull those teeth or they’d fall out, you name it.
I found an extremely compassionate dentist with experience in dental phobia.
She did X-rays and an exam while explaining everything.
Diagnosis was gum disease with bone loss and she said I must have a scaling and root planing to stop and reverse what I could. Some pockets were up to 10mm.
Unfortunately my insurance wouldn’t cover this for a year so I had to wait. And the anxiety started to build.

A dental hygienist student posted in our local next door about a month ago looking for a patient to do this exact procedure. For $20. I was terrified of going but I went for the consultation.
It would be at least 3 3 hour appointments.
I made a decision that day that I was going to do this. No matter what.
It ended up being 4 3 hour appointments, multiple novocaine shots (I needed extra) a TON of mindfulness and pushing myself to keep going back.
But she was wonderful. The teachers were amazing. It turns out that they love a tough patient with lots of calculus! Haha!
I had the last quadrant completed today, sealents applied as her practice patient, and I can already feel my gums healing.
I cannot stop staring at my teeth!! They feel so clean!!!
I got a water pick to use after each meal. This was a HUGE wake up call To make my dental hygiene a priority.
But also the anxiety was mostly made up in my own mind.
Yes, it was tough and I never want to have to do this again. But I am so grateful for both the success stories I’ve read here and the dental school for taking care of me !

Wow! Fantastic story! Congratulations!!

I hope it encourages someone !

Well done! That’s amazing ?

I’m due for the same treatment soon and this post was good to read!

You can do it! It certainly wasn’t fun but WAY better than I feared and I still can’t stop staring at my teeth :)

I’ve been attempting to get myself back to the dentist after at least 11 years of being traumatized by a deep scaling and panic attack at a simple checkup.
I’ve been following this forum and at 49 years old, I decided it was time to finally get back to a dentist so I could hopefully keep my teeth for the rest of my life.
I knew that I had a lot of buildup as I could see and feel it on my front teeth. I convinced myself that I would be shamed at the dentist, that they would have to pull those teeth or they’d fall out, you name it.
I found an extremely compassionate dentist with experience in dental phobia.
She did X-rays and an exam while explaining everything.
Diagnosis was gum disease with bone loss and she said I must have a scaling and root planing to stop and reverse what I could. Some pockets were up to 10mm.
Unfortunately my insurance wouldn’t cover this for a year so I had to wait. And the anxiety started to build.

A dental hygienist student posted in our local next door about a month ago looking for a patient to do this exact procedure. For $20. I was terrified of going but I went for the consultation.
It would be at least 3 3 hour appointments.
I made a decision that day that I was going to do this. No matter what.
It ended up being 4 3 hour appointments, multiple novocaine shots (I needed extra) a TON of mindfulness and pushing myself to keep going back.
But she was wonderful. The teachers were amazing. It turns out that they love a tough patient with lots of calculus! Haha!
I had the last quadrant completed today, sealents applied as her practice patient, and I can already feel my gums healing.
I cannot stop staring at my teeth!! They feel so clean!!!
I got a water pick to use after each meal. This was a HUGE wake up call To make my dental hygiene a priority.
But also the anxiety was mostly made up in my own mind.
Yes, it was tough and I never want to have to do this again. But I am so grateful for both the success stories I’ve read here and the dental school for taking care of me !
If you are able to fix your teeth without having a full mouth of extractions and bone grafting. Take it from me and be greatful you are able to keep your teeth. Keep up the good work and do the follow up.

If you are able to fix your teeth without having a full mouth of extractions and bone grafting. Take it from me and be greatful you are able to keep your teeth. Keep up the good work and do the follow up.

That’s the plan

Back