• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I wanted to share hope

R

Rosie44

Hi people,
It's been over four years since I registered with this site and was always very much a viewer than a participator. I hadn't been to the dentist for years and my teeth were in a very poor state plus I had serious gum disease. I was terrified of the dentist and had been since a child. This site was my hope and knowing that other people were going through the same trauma and reading the success stories gave me strength
Then, at the same time as my 23 year long marriage broke down so did my top right side bridge! I became even more conscious of my teeth and couldn't even leave the house. I was off work for five months and my confidence was at rock bottom.
I finally plucked up the courage to make an appointment with my mum's dentist and was told that I had advanced peridontal disease. It's been a long road and a difficult one in more ways than one but my gums are now pink and healthy, I score 0's and 1's at my check ups and my gum health is described as excellent, I don't bleed at all when I brush my teeth. My bridge is restored, I'm back at work and for the first time today I realised that I can smile with confidence and...wait for it...I look forward to my six monthly dental check up and hygeine visit because I'm always told how healthy my teeth and gums are!!
I was at the point where I used to go to bed and not want to wake up the next day and now things are so so different. I want to give a little back so if I can give even one person on here inspiration and hope it will make the time I've spent typing this message worthwhile. Good luck to all of you, dentistry has changed and you no longer have to feel anguish or pain or guilt:).

What a lovely thread to read, it is very encouraging to read your success. You have not only picked up in your dental health but in your life as well. Teeth do effect every aspect of our life's in the negative when you need treatment, less so when we have healthy, only because they are not a common cause of shame and pain, and we can just get on with life.

CONGRATULATIONS :jump::jump::jump: I hope life is good for you now, you deserve it, I am sure you will encourage others to climb this very large mountain. THANK YOU :jump::jump::jump:

I eagerly await the day when all my cavities are filled and I can look forward to dental visits for regular cleaning! :) This really does give me hope! I can do it, too! :magicwand: Congratulations on getting your own work done and being able to smile happily once again! It's a good feeling to be able to smile without reservations, isn't it?! :) Great job on overcoming your fear and leading a healthier life! I think I speak for all of us when I say "Hooray!!! Show off that grin!!"

Back to Os and 1s !!! That is seriously good stuff, and does give me hope. :)

That's lovely to read Rosie and well done for getting to grips with your fears and getting things sorted. It's inspiring and every time I read something like this it makes me want to do the same so thank you and I hope you continue to enjoy that which is priceless, quality of life. ;D

Back