• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I went to the dentist to take care of a abcsess..he did a root canal first.

L

lahdee

On Nov 12 2012 i went to the dentist because i had a bad toothache (#10 tooth) also near that tooth on the roof of my mouth a huge abscess has grown over night, so i went to the dentist first thing in the morning getting a root canal on the #10 tooth. I thought that maybe the doctor would also drain my abscess but he didnt. He prescribe some antibiotics and painkillers..he told me to take the antibiotics and that the abscess would drain its self.. but 3 days later March 14 2012 i dont see any kind of draining.. the slit that he had cut looks like its healed.. i dont know whats going on..the abscess is about the size of half a marble..Im tempted to try and pop it myself..:confused:

Re: I went to the dentist to take care of a abcsess..he did a root canal first.

No, do NOT "pop it" yourself!

I don't mean to scare you, but the roof of your mouth is too close to your brain to risk "popping" an abscess and possibly having the infection spread.

Call your dentist as soon as you can, explain the problem, and follow his/her recommendation.

It would be much better to have a dentist relieve you of the pain, but if it did pop, it wouldn't be dangerous as the bacteria would be neutralised by your stomach acid (there are some bacteria which can survive in stomach acid like Heliobacter pylori (sp?), Salmonella, or e-coli, but not the microbes you'd find in an abscess). It wouldn't be the popping that would cause the infection to spread to the brain (<-- an extremely rare occurrance!).

I hope you'll be able to get it sorted soon :grouphug:

I don't mean to scare you, but the roof of your mouth is too close to your brain to risk "popping" an abscess and possibly having the infection spread.

Jaylah ! Sorry.....but....:ROFLMAO: What about squeezing a spot on my eyebrow, would that be ok ?

(disclaimer - no offence intended ;D just trying to be funny)

No offense taken. :)

To be truthful, though, I've been told that squeezing spots on your face (particularly in the "T-zone"... across your forehead and down your nose) is not a good idea for the same reason.

You have sinuses basically behind your eyebrows, so squeezing a spot there could lead to an infection spreading into your sinus. And if you've ever had a sinus infection, you know it's no fun at all.

letsconnect is entirely right. The chance of spreading an infection either by squeezing a spot or "popping" an abscess is very rare. And I'll freely admit to squeezing my share of spots over the years, both in the "T-zone" and elsewhere.
(But then you wouldn't be incorrect in saying that I'm brain-damaged....although not from squeezing spots. :ROFLMAO: )

Basically, I just know that whenever I've attempted to fix dental problems by myself, I've only ended up making them worse. :o

Back