• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I went to the dentist today after nearly 9 years!

C

curli

Hope this is the right place to post, but I want to say to everyone out there reading this who is plucking up the courage to go to the dentist - just do it!

Three weeks ago I was reading this forum, seriously paranoid about my teeth, could barely watch toothpast adverts on TV, looked at my teeth in the mirror probably 20 times a day to see if they looked any worse of if my gums appeared redder than before, it was starting to take over my life.

I cried so much on the phone to the receptionist I could barely book an appointment.

Today I have been, I cried (lots), panicked, felt sick, gagged, cried some more and although I need a little work (that I can have with IV sedation) the absolute relief I feel now is enough to make want to cry (again!) but this time with relief and almost happiness, I've faced up to it and it was OK.

Well done Curli, I hope your next visits go as well.

Well done on facing your fears its a great:jump: feeling I know

Congratulations !!! :jump:

Can I ask, as it might help others here, how did your dentist help you through the experience ?

He was mentioned on the forum here as being particulalry interested in helping nervous patients.

He actually held my hand from the waiting room, he asked me to take a seat in the other chair and not the dentist chair, he had a very sympathectic manner, and stressed to me that we would not do anything I didn't want and if I only wanted to sit in the ordinary chair and talk he was happy to do that. The nurse sat next to me, held my hand and gave me tissues for my tears.

He also chatted about other stuff, e.g. the computer screen above the chair had a film of his hiome town so he talked about that, pointed out some old photos on the wall and picked up on that from my email address I am involved with dogs and mentioned that too.

I wrote a list of why I was scared and he read it and took notice. He made me feel that I was an ordinary patient, not someone wasting time or being stupid.

congrats!!!!! wow he sounds like a fantastic dentist! How nice to have an appt. that great! Good for you!:cheer:

What a lovely, lovely man, how considerate and kind of him to treat you in this way, he is a keeper. :innocent:

Well done to you as well for getting there and going in and facing the fear. :jump::jump::jump:

Went back on Friday for IV sedation and scale, clean and polish. Bit nervous and again totally put at ease and the sedation (for those that have not had it) is just fab. Injection in my arm and I started to feel a little relaxed and then the next thing I was aware was being told they were finished and could I try to sit up!

Before the sedation Brendan said he could build up my severely crooked tooth on one side if I was coping OK and to come round to a much less wonky tooth and the others all white(ish) and shiny felt fantastic. Spent the rest of the day, and a lot of time since, grinning into the mirror. Wish I'd taken a before picture. I've spent years hating that crooked tooth ;D

Next is my six month check up and I WILL be going.

Great job...glad you now have teeth you love!:jump:

I wish I wasn't so afraid of being knocked out or I'd try it. But I have tried Niterous oxide and that worked pretty good for a tooth extraction so I guess that's the way I'll go.

Back