• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I will never suffer again, My story x

S

shelly

Hello All Dental Phobic
I feel like I have to share my experience with you all. I’m 26 year old who has a fear of dentists particularly the injection; I have not had any dental treatment in my life as my fear has been that extreme. I have even accounted five or six gum infections when I have attended the dentist, Completed the antibiotic treatment, then as the pain has dissapered so I never went back until next time.........

However I have noticed that this is beginning to get me down and affect my social life, I would often get really bad breath and my teeth were just totally horrendous. And I did know that sooner or later the inevitable was going to happen and I would need to visit the dentist…………………….. Well here it goes

Last week I had a week off and after looking at my teeth in the mirror I decided enough was enough and rang a dentist in my local area, I had an appointment on the Tuesday. I attended my first appointment as I know that they would only be taking x rays etc I was very calm as I know that I would not be having any form of treatment. After a consultation with the dentist he explained that I would need 6 fillings and 4 extractions, so the damage was quite severe and yes I was totally humiliated and terrified about the thought of the dental work.

An appointment was made for me today Saturday, I went to the dentist and successfully had a filling and an extraction, No sweat. I wanted to share my story to assure other like me, it really is painless and the injection was painless too!!! I made the dentist aware that I was terrified and that I had been awake for two nights worrying about the appointment and he was fantastic, I still have another four appointments to go………… Ill keep you all posted, But please do not suffer I feel a right prat for tolerating it for all these years, You really dont have to, I also confided in my close friends and family and getting my Dental phobia out in the open has really helped me. Please please do not suffer It is really not that bad, I promise x x x x x x x x x x x
Just to let you all know, I have now only one appointment left.............. Ive done it, The quality of my life has inproved 100%. I was terrified about the lower jaw injection and nearly cancelled the appointment several occasions, so glad I didnt!!!!!!!!!!! I used to worry about the dentist every single day, my bad breath etc etc, I really wish I knew then what I do now. PLEASE go get yourself sorted, I will NEVER EVER suffer another toothache as long as I live. I lay in the dentist chair lauging now or tapping my foot to the loud music that my dentist plays. Im totally over my fear and Im even going back to get them whitened!
Good Luck to you all x x If I did it you can tooxxxxxxx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Shelly, thanks so much for writing about your experiences here :). Brilliant to hear that things are going so well for you.

Well done :jump: :jump:!!!

Back