• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Icky/Gross Feeling in Teeth at Night

T

thisisme

For years when I wake up in the middle of the night, a few of my upper teeth feel icky. They don’t hurt. It’s hard to describe. They just feel gross. I thought it was because I had cavities there, but they were filled in September/October of 2019 and they still feel the same way. The only way to get rid of the icky feeling is to bite down on something... like my tongue or I even tried a mouth guard. They then feel instantly better. It’s usually not a problem during the day because I’m constantly using my mouth to chew and drink water. I’m too embarrassed to bring this up to my dentist, especially since he has given me a clean bill of mouth health. Am I abnormal? Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I wish I could describe it better. It seems to be only two of my upper teeth and is only a problem when they aren’t used for awhile.

I brush my teeth before bed and when I get up in the morning. I also lived with these cavities for years due to my phobia, so I’m not sure that has something to do with it.

Really the best person to help you with this is your dentist, please don't feel embarrassed about asking them. Dentists aren't just there to fix teeth, we like to help with all dental issues.

Gordon, can you unretire and come to the US? :)...

Thank you. But nope and very, very, definitely nope :)

I don't blame you at all.. :) from what I hear you are in the most lovely of places !

Really the best person to help you with this is your dentist, please don't feel embarrassed about asking them. Dentists aren't just there to fix teeth, we like to help with all dental issues.

Thanks, Gordon. Maybe I’ll bring it up at my next checkup appointment. I think I’m worried it’s something serious and worry it’ll take a bunch of investigation to see what’s going on. So if he gives me a clean bill of health, I take it and run and then, ask on here what’s up. Haha.

I think that's a sensible plan, apart from the last bit :)

KR, there are much worse places to live, that's for sure.

Back