• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'd rather die than go to a dentist...HELP!

S

scaredykat

As a boy I would vomit after leaving the dentist office; not out of terror but from the bad tasting creams they used.  To this day I get sick to my stomach when I walk by a dentist office, the smell alone is horrific.  

My teeth are in very bad shape.  I can't tolerate hot or cold foods, and sometimes both sides of my mouth hurt enough to prevent me from chewing.  I have one molar in pieces as chunks at a time have broken off leaved jagged edges.  My upper right molars have very bad cavities.  I've lost fillings, most from my childhood years.  

I grew up in a family where I'd be seriously punished for getting a cavity and that might have something to do with my fear today.  In addition, I'm convinced my childhood dentist was satan himself, that pick thing gives me nightmares as he'd scrape and scrape without any use of an anesthetic.  

About ten years ago a dentist got mad and stomped out of the office because I was putting him behind due my repeated requests for more novacaine.  I could feel what he was doing and I was in pain.  I was the first patient of the day and he was in a hurry.  I made them remove the dental dam and I walked out all numbed up for nothing.  I'm paranoid that this could happen again.

The name of this thread is appropriate because its true.  I'm not suicidal, it just means I'd rather a tooth get infected and cause serious complications that would kill me rather than go to a dentist.  I'm afraid of the pain, I'm afraid of lectures, I"m afraid of how much it will cost (no insurance).  I have credit cards that could cover emergencies and even the bill from that is giving me nightmares.  When I went to have some decay removed a few years ago (not volunteerily, I always wait until the pain is unbearable and over the counter pain pills don't do the trick); anyway they did a complete assessment and told me I'd require about 14,000 dollars worth of work if I wanted to save my teeth.  I started to look into dentures and after reading all the internet horror stories that could go wrong I might be better off trying to save what teeth I have left.  Is it too late for me?  The broken tooth is causing terrible pain right now and I know I have to have it pulled.  Maybe they can put me out completely for it.  I'm afraid to miss any work though, do dentists have Saturday hours?  

I'd be grateful for any advice.  Just so you know, I'm a 37 year old man.  Construction workers are supposed to be pretty tuff guys, not when it comes to this.

P.S. I'm in the Seattle area, if anyone knows of a dentist that can help with patients like me, please give me a recommendation.

Hiya :) 2 months ago I said the exact same thing; rather die than go to dentist. Rather shoot myself and let rats come and eat me alive than face the chair. 2 months later I've got an appointment to go! I actually got so sick of having bad teeth, I started feeling frustration and hate towards myself for letting things go this far. So I emailed a dentist and said I'm desperate for understanding and caring dentist to help me with my extreme phobia. So I've got an appointment on tuesday, day before the Valentines day! So this year I'm not looking forward to Valentines day at all :p This forum has been unbelievable help for me as well. I'm sure they have some magic powers they somehow send through the screen! So I know you'll find the courage to go and find a dentist that is going to be patient with you! Good luck! :thumbsup:

hi scaredykat
it wont happen again. things really have come along.
when i was 12 that man pulled a big back tooth abcess and all and just held me there saying it was my own fault for not looking after them and my mum agreed with him.
my teeth were terrible this time last yr i stood in the car park and screamed like a baby. i never thought they would be able to do anything for me if i could go to the dentist i thought i had too much to be done. im still going a yr later but ive had tons done including the guiness world record for root canals :) i dont think ill ever say the dentist oh not a problem,but im not scared of the people or the place anymore im even going to be having an implant soon,not bad for someone who in jan 1006 tried to run back out the door! take your time,find the right person and good luck :grouphug:

I don't think there is anyone writing on this forum who hasn't felt the same way. Add to that the embarrassment of letting the dentist look at your teeth, yet dentists see worse every day. Sometimes dentures can be the answer. That is the path I am taking now. I don't have many teeth left, most of them are probably salvageable but the gums are not. I just keep visualising myself with nice, white even teeth and able to smile at everyone again. I also imagine what it will be like to eat Brazil nuts, something I love eating again. I haven't eaten a Brazil nut in years.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is focus on the positive and shove the negative right onto the back burner. I go to the dentist on Monday for the first time in years but for once I'm quite calm, probably the word would be resigned to it.

I most definitely think some kind of calming and encouraging "magic" comes from this forum. I've never been this calm about going to the dentist for many, many years, in fact, I'm almost (but not quite) looking forward to it.

If you need much work done, it's worth considering IV. I had that some years ago and it works really well.

Thank you for the support, it is very much appreciated. Look at my page in the journal forum for updates. I have taken some positive steps.

~Bruno

my brother lives in the seattle/tacoma area.. I"ve emailed him asking for a rec :cheers:

As a newbie, I just want to add my penneth worth. These guys are great.  This forum is great! I finally found the courage to get my rotten teeth seen to after seven years neglect.  Counting down the days till the appointment...and not with as much fear as I thought.  I actually feel well chuffed that I took the first step.

I'm going the IV sedation route. It won't be cheap, but I am sure it will be worth it to get THIS cheeky smile back again  :)

Good luck, keep us posted
xx

Back