• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

If we could tell dentists/hygenists/clinics things that make you nervous at a dental office

krlovesherkids777

krlovesherkids777

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we could tell dentists/hygenists/clinics things that make you nervous at a dental office

Hi, was just thinking.. what makes us nervous and if you could convey to a dentist/hygenist/office what makes you nervous what would you say.. ?

.I've been to a number of places through life as well as from my kids dental experiences this is what makes me nervous

When the front desk staff seems unfriendly or like you are a number.

If they are very rushed

Unfocused like too much multitasking

Not listening

Trying to sell too many services too soon.

Shaming and condesending, making one feel even more poorly than they already do about the condition of their teeth.

Not caring or asking about pain level

When the dentist says "oops" and he means it.

When the dentist seems nervous and on edge

When you get a very painful shot or treatment or are not given adequate pain help

When you are invalidated

The switcheroo. When they switch providers without permission anytime in the appt

When they put a lot of instruments out for you too see

When my son went he has a hard time with xrays, small mouth like me and said he feels like choking with them. and she said 'oh thats all in your head, we are good at what we do so thats silly, you shouldn't feel like this".. as a 10 year old he was struggling and they were invalidating his experience and feelings saying they weren't valid and all in his head. when struggling with xrays in a small mouth is indeed very valid experience" so making one feeling "crazy or wrong" for thinking or experiencing in their way

When hygenists are very rough or insensitive with their work. very painful cleanings. I"ve had painful cleaning up until my recent hygenist who is a Godsend with her compassion and gentle cleaning.

Lectures.

Re: If we could tell dentists/hygenists/clinics things that make you nervous at a dental office

That sounds like a lot of crazy unpleasant experiences..

Ok, what makes me nervous:

- the dentist not talking during a procedure
- getting a bib before the dentist even entered the room
- staff walking around having masks around their necks - makes me feel like if someone was ready to attack me with a treatment right in the reception area
- receptionists acting like if I were less worthy than them

And I do not care about any of these things anymore because my current dentist is exceptional and the whole practice acts like if I were the most important person whenever I have an appointment which makes me feel incredibly comfortable and cared for.

Re: If we could tell dentists/hygenists/clinics things that make you nervous at a dental office

Yes, Thank you, and same for me Enarete.. :) Thank God.. I have found a current dentist I've been working with the past year who very much almost instantly can put me at ease and keep me at ease throughout any type of procedure, I was just thinking how many of us have had those things that trigger us or cause anxiety directly there in person. The great thing is we can... find the caring and competent wonderful dentists out there if we have the boundaries to refuse to go to the ones that have the red flags and triggers ..

Maybe some clinics or dentists go into autopilot, life as usual mode and don't really notice the anxious patient indicators , or think as to how certain things affect patients along the way in their everyday duties.

Alot are great and try very hard with good intentions for their patients.

You've thought of several+id agree with many esp having the tools on display (I've never needed them so don't see why I have to look at them),also I get the whole having a small mouth thing. What also bugs me is when there's someone in the room that hasn't been introduced (happened last time I was there still don't kno who he was) or if there's to many people in the room.

Last edited:

Wating times to go in for your appointments (I know appointments can overrun)

When three dentists/dentist assistants come in the room to ask my dentist a question (even if some of the dentist assistants are good looking) makes me more nervous in the chair.

In the past making me feel shameful how bad my teeth are.

Tell them professional, calmly of past experiences. I go regularly but some of the dentists I have seen have said mean things and not be very good to calm me down.

Yes that aswell never being on time do they really think leaving anxious people waiting is helpfull.

So I have to say , though its not preferable for probably so many of anxious patients for me I think the Dr being late is actually a good sign and I'm relieved that he is taking his time despite schedule constraints.. not I realize that is not everyones thinking.. but I don't mind to sit in the chair for 15-20 minutes just chilling or reading. Its a rarity I actually get to do this.. My dentist has apologzied on several occasions for being late then he figured out I really don't mind it.. I want him to take his time... and he absulutely does with me as much as anyone else.

on the other side,, I have a friend who will call me if she is sitting in an office and they are ten minutes late< and she is ready to leave. So I totally get both sides of view. funny how different things trigger or cause anxiety in different people.

10mins isn't so bad but half hour or an hour just makes me want to walk back out the door,plus too restless to sit still.

Dentists not talking through your options fully if you got a problem with a tooth/teeth and not just because of decay, if you got a problem with a tooth you find difficult to keep clean due to bite, overcrowding etc.

How difficult you find it to hold the little xray thing in between your teeth if you need xrays, that is painful

Hygienists' inexperience with the thing that sucks water from your mouth and not being attentive enough to it. I have almost been choked by that.

When they got rid of the water bowl that you spit in and replaced it with the instrument I just mentioned. I hate that thing and wonder how many other mouths it's been in, as well as the tube that carries the water.

When the dentist gets very angry at a patient for closing his/her mouth to swallow at a bad time. Believe it or not, that is a reaction of the body. I didn't do it to tick you off. Your hygienist was inept at doing her job and the saliva was trickling down my throat. Bring the bowl back and let us rinse our mouths occasionally. Or train the hygienists better. I don't want to choke on my own spit.

The nozzle that squirts cold water into your mouth and being told, "we don't have warm water."

Being insensitive to the pain levels of patients.

Getting that shot done as quickly as possible.

Always, always, always telling patients they aren't doing a good enough job taking care of their teeth. We only have electric toothbrushes, $7 tubes of toothpaste, mouthwash, floss, and electric water flossers. We are doing the best we can with what we have. Give us a break. That's why we come to see you twice a year.

Hygienists snapping and popping their latex gloves every second. I know it must be annoying to have to wear them, but it's even worse to have to listen to you snapping them, constantly. Knock it off.

Having to listen to their music during your appointment. Headphones don't help either, they only magnify the drill. Can't we just have quiet? Or instead of your idea of music, why don't you just have the sound of the ocean waves, or a rainy day in a tropical place playing in the background? Why does it always have to be music? Or a TV?

Tell me in 10 words or less what the problem is. In a language I understand.

And when I (anyone) come back and tell you it is not comfortable, don't tell me it was my choice. That implies I had a choice. One is limited by their wallet. I'm not a millionaire. STOP BULLYING PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY CANNOT AFFORD IMPLANTS. Why don't you make the prices more realistic so that they can?

Stop being angry with patients when they wince with pain, and understand that dental pain is one of the worst kinds of pain. People aren't making that up.

Understand that someone may ask the same question twice. Be patient with your patients. We didn't go to dental school.

Hygienists that sing or hum. Please don't. Concentrate on my teeth.

When hygienists think that all mouths are size large. They aren't.

When dentists don't realize that mouths cannot stay open for long periods of time. They must rest. Where's that "tooth pillow?" Use it.

A loud TV blaring in the waiting room. And idiot people in there with even louder cell phones!! Whatever happened to just quiet?? NOBODY I know wants the tv at any doctor or dentist office. And on top of that, we also are entertained by the RADIO your receptionist is also listening to!! So we get the TV and we get the RADIO. I feel like a blithering lunatic by the time I finally get called in. If you must have the TV why don't you put it on "closed captioning" for those who just prefer to maybe read? We also don't want to listen to everyone's cool cell phone ringtones OR their important conversations. Can't you put up a sign that says to turn all cellphones down? There is no reason for any of this.

Having to wait and wait and wait in the chair, once you have been called in, for the person to arrive to work on you. This is when and where the anxiety really builds. The longer you wait, the worse it gets.

Open spaces and no privacy. When you can see and hear others getting tortured.

Too much traffic in YOUR space and you (me) having no clue what they have to do with you.

Sigh.... just thinking about my appointment coming up to get a deep cleaning makes me want to toss my cookies. The countdown is a week and a half.

Really good thoughts and suggestions.. !

Dentists accidently spray us with the water cleaner, the taste taste foul. give us options what flavour we want our cleanings.

I was just at the dentist's. This one doesn't have a TV but the radio was blaring in the waiting room. I hate current music. It drives me nuts. And even if I did like it, I bought something to read. I could read because of the music. So I got to sit and focus on nothing but feeling like I have to puke.

Then, I get inside, STRAIGHT in the chair and the bib is tied on. Dentist starts mumbling crap in dentist language or whatever...this makes me paranoid. Of course nobody gets it and the assistant offers me headphones...to listen to the radio. Uhm, I HATE the radio. If I want music or TV, I want my own.

Also, why do I have to BE in the chair when it goes down? Why can you put it down first and put me in next?? Honestly, I tell you I have a phobia and yet you put me in the chair, bib me and then walk out. Just let me sit in a normal chair then.

And the whole cold test crap HURTS. Don't tell me it doesn't and "ice cream hurts more". It does not. I don't bite in my ice cream nor do I push it against my teeth like that. Maybe you do, but my front teeth are already sensitive to cold. Even Popsicles I suck on so there's saliva diluting it and warming it up before it touches my teeth. I've never had ice cream feel that nasty.

Also, I hate when they make you hold the guard thing up to your neck for x-rays. My hands are shaking, the x-ray hurts because my mouth would really need child sized x-ray stuff when you're trying to shove the adult sized stuff in my mouth. I'd rather have two small ones than one, big, nasty, painful one. Also, why can't you have something that I don't have to hold myself to protect from radiation??

When I'm hyperventilating, give me a freaking moment. Don't hand me a cold rag and then expect me to lay down in the chair and open my mouth a second later. I cannot breathe. Both the dentist and assistant put their hands me on and kept telling me to lie down. What the...? Don't touch me more than you have to without my permission. I don't know you. Can you imagine a medical doctor doing this to an adult who is afraid to get a gyn exam, a blood test or a vaccine? I can't.

If you want me to calm down, step back, say nothing and GIVE ME A MINUTE. I cannot say anything without snapping at you at that moment, so I say nothing. You should be able to tell that I need a minute if I'm hyperventilating. The last thing I need is to be pushed in the chair and told to open my mouth this minute. What did you give me a "longer" appointment for if you'll rush anyway?

Also, when they make you use mouth wash before anyone touches you. I cannot use the kind of mouth wash they have, it's nasty.

They're all the same. I tell them talk I don't understand when my mouth is open makes me panic, they all do it, when look at me like I'm insane when I jump up and close my mouth. I TOLD you it makes me panic.

I keep having flashbacks of the appointment...

For me, it's the dentist themselves. And the smells and sights of the dental chair. It's honestly like a torture chamber for me. Can you imagine...

a robed and masked figure forces you downwards then willingly causes you pain and discomfort and distress... erm, sounds like a scene from a horror movie!!

The dentist needs to be KIND and COMPASSIONATE and understand that what they're doing is like a form of controlled torture. More time needs to be spent on nervous patients, talking to them and going through the procedures slowly and carefully instead of just resorting to drugs.

The surroundings need to be cozy and welcoming and warm. Dental instruments should be out of sight. Nurses and receptionists should be lovely. It should feel like a welcoming and relaxing spa. Dentists need to understand that the whole process of going to the dentist is a highly distressing and unnatural thing to do and causes many people extreme anxiety. This needs to be taken seriously. Nervous patients NEED more time than other patients. Things need to change. Dentistry is nightmarish as it is, steps need to be taken to counteract this feeling in the dental office so that more people are inclined to go to the dentist and get their teeth sorted and therefore have better oral health.

Sorry, I got all serious there! just some thoughts, anyway.

For me, it's the dentist themselves. And the smells and sights of the dental chair. It's honestly like a torture chamber for me. Can you imagine...a robed and masked figure forces you downwards then willingly causes you pain and discomfort and distress... erm, sounds like a scene from a horror movie!!The dentist needs to be KIND and COMPASSIONATE and understand that what they're doing is like a form of controlled torture. More time needs to be spent on nervous patients, talking to them and going through the procedures slowly and carefully instead of just resorting to drugs. The surroundings need to be cozy and welcoming and warm. Dental instruments should be out of sight. Nurses and receptionists should be lovely. It should feel like a welcoming and relaxing spa. Dentists need to understand that the whole process of going to the dentist is a highly distressing and unnatural thing to do and causes many people extreme anxiety. This needs to be taken seriously. Nervous patients NEED more time than other patients. Things need to change. Dentistry is nightmarish as it is, steps need to be taken to counteract this feeling in the dental office so that more people are inclined to go to the dentist and get their teeth sorted and therefore have better oral health. Sorry, I got all serious there! just some thoughts, anyway.
Hear hear! Although dentistry really has moved on immensely, there is still plenty of room for improvement out there. My recent experiences have fortunately been largely positive, but wholeheartedly agree that the dental world still needs to get more compassionate and less frenzied and rushed! All dentists and moreover hygienists around the world please learn from the comments our courageous ally has shared with us on here. Here's to a brighter dental future for all XX

If I need to wait for the dentist or hygienist, I'd rather do it in the waiting room than than in the treatment room. Please, don't make me wait in the chair where I'm closer to all those sounds and smells. When I am seated before they're ready, I'll stand and look out the window or go use the rest room or something--anything but waiting alone seated in the chair.

I would say the not listening to the patient is a big one for me. I've been going back and forth with my dentist and family Dr. about having anti-anxiety medication prescribed for me for a wisdom tooth appointment, but neither will listen.

There's a specific medication (Ativan), which my family Dr. has prescribed before for one-time use on a couple of occasions, and a specific dose (.5mg - the smallest dose), which works wonders for me. I've taken it, I know how it affects me and I know how much it helps based on past experience. It puts a damper on my anxiety and makes me relax enough to get through the situation without making me feel drugged or loopy.

My dentist's office first said he wouldn't prescribe Ativan or any anti-anxiety med and that my only options were to do nitrous (has never helped me) there or go to an oral surgeon and do IV sedation, which I'm not comfortable doing and have told them I will not do. For whatever reason, my family Dr. won't prescribe one dose of Ativan for a dental appointment despite having prescribed it for me before. Now, after being tossed back to my dentist, his office says he will prescribe Valium, but I have to get/take it at his office the day of my appointment.

I'd prefer the medication I am familiar with and already know helps me, but neither the dentist nor the Dr. will listen to me. I can't understand why they won't help me get through the appointment in a way that's most comfortable for me. As I understand it, Valium has a much longer half-life than Ativan and is slower to clear your system. I'd rather have a low dose of a familiar medication that will clear my system faster.

Things that make me nervous:
-Waiting but moreso in the waiting room. I actually do okay waiting in the chair.
-Pain or any unexpected sensations without a warning
-Dentist/assistant not talking to me prior to starting and a least a little throughout treatment
-Rushing
-The dentist/staff seeming stressed or flustered
-This doesn’t bother me now, but lowering the chair without warning used to really bother me
-Not being given reassurance that I can stop them if needed..I know I can but I still want the reassurance
-Unfriendly receptionist

I had my consult about a week ago and found I need a filing and a crown. While I was there the dentist did a scan of my teeth and gave me a complimentary clear braces consult. I thought it over and declined a few days later but now she's coming back in-emails with all sorts of other ideas. Seems kind of high pressure- there's no chance I'll do something I don't want to do, but it is off-putting just the same.

I had my consult about a week ago and found I need a filing and a crown. While I was there the dentist did a scan of my teeth and gave me a complimentary clear braces consult. I thought it over and declined a few days later but now she's coming back in-emails with all sorts of other ideas. Seems kind of high pressure- there's no chance I'll do something I don't want to do, but it is off-putting just the same.

I went to a dental chain who was always trying to sell things and it was so annoying! I think they would tell you there were more issues with your teeth/gums in order to scare you into buying their products because when I went to other dentists after leaving that practice, those issues never once came up.

Back