• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ill-fitting partial denture

A

Athompson2629

Wanted to get a professional opinion on my 2 upper teeth partial i got a few weeks ago. It does not fit my gum line at all and is rubbing and catching on my upper lip. I've had it adjusted once because I was not making contact with my back teeth, and even before then didn't fit the gum line. I had a crown & post on one side and a dead tooth on the other, so I had a surgical removal and immediate partial placed in. Will this sort itself out or should I go back for possibly a new cast made of the teeth and get another partial made if my dentist will or is willing to do so. Thank you in advance.

lHPEJnE_d.jpg

Hi :welcome:welcome to the forum.

Looking at the pic go back and insist on a new set, they are rubbish. No self respecting dentist would even try fob you off with those, they aren't even lined up properly. Ask if they are sure that they were made for you.

You do get some sore spots and rubbing when you first have a partial or even full dentures and this is normal you just go back until the dentist has smoothed the parts down that are rubbing. No matter how many times you have to return they expect you to return for this.

Now the fit of yours, no amount of smoothing or altering will help with them you need a new one. :butterfly:

Also you need to check the colour with the dentist using a colour chart. They have a chart that they can hold against your own teeth so you can decide together using a mirror so you can see as well as the dentist.

Thanks for the reply. I was just unsure about going about telling then this with not being rude and such. Since day one they didn't feel right. With extractions and implant im already over $1200 dollars. Any help on how I should approach this situation? Thank you very much for your input

I am not a dentist, I am just a person with plenty experience of being a patient.

If you are worried about how to approach the dentist try writing explaining how you feel and send a photo like the one you have put on here. If the dentist works for a practice then write to the manager and ask for their help.

I am in the UK so I don't know much about how to go about things elsewhere but I would imagine the first step no matter where you are is much the same.

You should not be charged any extra for another partial because it isn't your fault it is wrong.

Good luck I hope you get this sorted out soon. :butterfly:

Mine is very similar. I had my immediate partial fitted 2 weeks ago today. It was uncomfortable, too long in the plate and kept catching my lip when I talked (1st pic). My altered one is feeling better but still barely covers my gum line and looks squint to me. (2nd pic) I'm due back in July for my final impressions, so hopefully they will get it right. Sounds daft but I worry about complaining in case they t as pe12 offence and are rough with me on the next visit. ?

Attachments

• 20210428_161936.jpg
    20210428_161936.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210428_161924.jpg
    20210428_161924.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 10
It doesn't look great. Complaining isn't a problem so long as you do it constructively, if you can point out what you don't like about this one (do it as objectively as you can) then that should be fine.
Any dentist who was petty enough to physically abuse a patient because they had some legitimate concerns should be removed from the dentist register...

Back