• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm Afraid to Call the Dentist

D

DJFIT

So, I'm new here and have a bunch of dental work. I am terrified of the dentist and avoided going for many years.

Right now I've got a new permanent crown on my lower tooth (2nd molar from the back.) It's been about a month since the crown was fitted.

Before the crown I had no pain in the tooth, but the filling in the tooth was very large and there was another spot of decay. Hence the crown.

Since the permanent crown has been fitted I am okay to chew soft/medium-soft foods but if I bite down on something hard like an almond, a chocolate chip, or a hard cookie, I have some fleeting pain.

I'm afraid to call the dentist because I cannot afford a RC and I'm not sure I could do it anyway. Is it possible it will stop hurting on its own or should I just call?

I would call the dentist because it could be as simple as correcting your bite which should not cost you anything. I think it would be better to know what the problem is rather than leaving it to drive you mad.

If a rct is needed maybe you could work a payment plan out with the dentist. :butterfly:

I'm afraid to call the dentist because I cannot afford a RC and I'm not sure I could do it anyway. Is it possible it will stop hurting on its own or should I just call?

According to your description, it does not sound like a root canal treatment, because in that case also medium pressure should be painful and of course there should be spontaneous pain at least for a few days.

Go back to your dentist and ask for an X ray. In most cases, a bit of the cement was left around, irritating the gums. There are also other possible diagnoses, but I would not put my money on a root canal.

Back