• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm completely terrified of the idea of my wisdom teeth being removed.

J

jsn9491

As the title states, I am completely terrified of having my wisdom teeth removed.

I am pretty sure they are impacted. The only good thing is they all have somewhat broken the gumline so they're not completely in the bone.

However, that doesn't decrease the fear I have for it. I'm basically scared of every part of it, The IV, the anesthesia (I fear of something going wrong and not being able to breathe or dying; being allergic), the aftermath (friend got multiple dry sockets despite following the surgeon's instructions), and the medicine.

I don't know what to do to stop the fear I feel for it. I keep trying to tell myself that the long term damage will make me miserable if I keep them in, that I have to accept that certain parts of the procedure are out of my control. Doesn't work.

Hi jsn9491 :welcome:,

I am not sure whether stopping the fear as such work, but obviously try and get it to a point when you will be able to get it done would be a good thing. First of all; have you seen a dentist who you feel comfortable with and who you can chat about your fears with? You namend fear of dying during the iv, dry sockets and medicine (which medicine do you mean?) and most of that are things that can get easier once someone takes the time to explain to you how things work..

Hi jsn9491 :welcome:,

I am not sure whether stopping the fear as such work, but obviously try and get it to a point when you will be able to get it done would be a good thing. First of all; have you seen a dentist who you feel comfortable with and who you can chat about your fears with? You namend fear of dying during the iv, dry sockets and medicine (which medicine do you mean?) and most of that are things that can get easier once someone takes the time to explain to you how things work..

Good evening,

I have, but my wisdom teeth won't be able to be treated by my dentist. It'll have to be by an oral surgeon most likely.

I fear the anesthesia cause I'm not sure if I'm allergic to any type of anesthesia or not (there's a list I have to fill). I've heard some gnarly side effects with some of the stronger medicines (vomiting among them).

Then a visit at the oral surgeon may be a good idea so that you get proper information about anything that worries you.

Not sure what you mean by anesthesia - there is local anesthesia to numb up the tooth and I have never heard of anyone vomitting afterwards. Then there is IV sedation which feels for you like you were put to sleep, but in reality you are conscious, but forget it. I have never heard of anyone vomiting after that either.

Your dentist/surgeon may be able to help you with this and find a solution. Maybe there is a way to find out how you react to the medicine prior or a possibility to take something that is not that strong.. or use other types of sedation.

Do you think I should visit a Primary Care Doctor and an Allergist to make sure I don't have any allergies or potential health complications?

I think discussing this with the dentist who will treat you would be the best step. They know everything about the properties of an anesthetic and health issues relevant to treatment and they may advise you how to proceed to find out whether you are alergic or not, or may be able to test it themselves. We have an article about allergic reaction to anesthetics here on the site, it may provide you some deeper understanding about what anesthetic is about:

I was wondering where your fear of allergy or dying of complication come from. Do you have it only with dentist?

I ran into an article on accident about someone passing from it. Friend also told me they had some complications during the removal.

There was someone passing from local anesthetic? Do you have the link to that article? I am not sure what your friend meant by "some complications", but it sounds he obviously survived so that's good.

It was general anesthesia

Back