• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm fed up! :/

Lioness

Lioness

Good evening.

My teeth are hurting. Again. My bottom #7 on the left side of my mouth, twitches almost everyday although it was done conservatively two times already! :( This means it needs a root canal now. :(

And my bottom #7 on the right side of my mouth was root-canalled in September 2016, it has been giving me pain almost constantly since then. It stopped a while ago so I thought it's OK... But it seems that it's not... :( So, it need an extraction. But what if I go through it and I still will be having some pains, maybe phantom ones?! :( Who knows...?!

I'm so fed up with my dental and not dental problems!

I have been hating brushing my teeth since my childhood... Yes, I know I'm an adult now... But I'm not able to force myself to brush them two times a day... I know, it's pathetic, terrible, stupid...! :cry: Just... My mind says, "Hey, you hate it, don't you? Don't try to convince yourself that it can be pleasurable now...! I'm not so stupid!"

Besides, my teeth don't like being brushed, really... They twitch after it, my gums bleed, no matter how lightly I try to touch them...

Sometimes I'd like to have full dentures... :(

Hi @Lioness, so sorry to hear that you're having such a rough time with your teeth right now :(. I hope you're not in too much pain over the holidays!

But I'm not able to force myself to brush them two times a day... I know, it's pathetic, terrible, stupid...! :cry: Just... My mind says, "Hey, you hate it, don't you? Don't try to convince yourself that it can be pleasurable now...!

It's not pathetic or stupid, old habits can be really hard to break, and sometimes there can be other things playing into it, like not wanting to be reminded of dental things or retaining autonomy over a part of our bodies that is very private.

I hope you're able to enjoy Christmas all the same, and hopefully, there'll be a much better 2023 ahead for you :grouphug:

Hey Lioness,

this sounds overwhelming - not only having pain all the time but then just when a tooth settles being told it needs an extraction. I'd be certainly crying in the corner if I was in your shoes. Were you told this at your appointment recently?

I agree with every word of @letsconnect. Nothing silly about not being able to brush and taking how much you hate ist, it's such a brave thing to do that anyway. I was wondering where do these thoughts come from - did anyone make you feel like you should force yourself?

Teeth can be mean. You're doing a great job just dealing with them and not getting dentures.

All the best wishes

this sounds overwhelming - not only having pain all the time but then just when a tooth settles being told it needs an extraction. I'd be certainly crying in the corner if I was in your shoes. Were you told this at your appointment recently?
I think it just never settled properly, it only stopped twitching for some time. And recently I had two days of quite strong pain. Then it stopped again. My Dentist said there is a very big inflammatory change there...

I was wondering where do these thoughts come from - did anyone make you feel like you should force yourself?
Hmm... To be honest, no, not now actually. But, you know, all those bossy dental "teachings", "You need to brush your teeth often, at least twice a day"...

Besides, I think for most people brushing their teeth is a routine, something that they do almost automatically...

For what it's worth I'm in a similar position.

I had #2 out a few months ago, this was after 5years of intermittent pain of varying degrees. The dentist wasn't sure if it was this tooth but I'd had enough, so I asked for it to go. On the same night I think I had a tummy bug or IBS flare so it was a rough night, esp as at midnight the clot came out and it bled until 6am.. I didn't sleep at all, I had bad nausea, not helped by poking my mouth with tea bags, and gauze... and was terrified of being sick as I had an open wound in my mouth.

Now Im getting similar pains in #3... I fear this one is also rotten as it's deeply filled already.

#7 had a cavity on the back that got filled this year, that causes me pain intermittently also so presumably the £190 filling didn't work..

The rest of my front teeth have signs of enamel erosion. My front one looks to me to have a cavity on it.

#13 had a filling redone after the original fell out. I had to have that filling redone a further time as the NHS dentist left decay behind... I've been fully warned that if it doesn't work its a RCT & crown at a whopping £1300.
This tooth also flares up so I know the filing didn't work.

There's also a black dot on back tooth, something the dentist didn't seem to be bothered about, but causes me worry.

I have 21 teeth left that aren't in good shape. Not one of them looks good and the majority have already been filled. All my fronts are translucent on the edges/thin, and as a result are chipped and cracked. I'm convinced one of them is fractured

Sadly I've come to accept my teeth are always going to cause me misery as I've seen 4 dentists in as many years and never got on top of these issues, I also darent go to often as it's expensive due to being unable to get an NHS dentist now.
I'm in my early 40s and have been told many, many times, that I need to keep my remaining teeth for as long as possible due to my age...
As if I didn't know this already.. but when it's sheer misery for months and year after year there's issues, I have no desire to prolong the misery trying to save ugly, rotten teeth. The alternative, a sunken face with false teeth I'll struggle to keep in - this is a prospect I'm well aware of, but at least I'll be out of pain and not depressed.

I really do hope you can find someone who is willing to give you the time and care you deserve xx

Hmm... To be honest, no, not now actually. But, you know, all those bossy dental "teachings", "You need to brush your teeth often, at least twice a day"...

Besides, I think for most people brushing their teeth is a routine, something that they do almost automatically...

Hope the tooth leaves you in peace for some time now, sounds like it had kept you busy enough up to now.

And yeah, these dental "teachings" stick, right? The good thing is - by now we know that what you eat and how often hat more effect on the dental health than "just" brushing twice a day. And yeah, how easy is it to do something that i routine and how difficult is it if you have to push yourself into doing it...

I'm so fed up again! With everything! :(

I don't even know how to put it... The tooth #7 on the right side of my mouth, on the bottom is aching again. The tooth #7 on the left side, bottom, is cracked, I guess...

I know I should call my dental clinic but... I feel so uncomfortable talking on the phone... Well, maybe talking in general... Especially in formal matters...

My Mum is talkative, extraverted, not me...

[deep sigh]
Oh, it's so twisted! I'd like to be independent, perceived as "normal" so much... And the very thought of using the phone gives me anxiety... Argh! 😠

You know... Sometimes I envy actors on the stage, singers, radio hosts - people who work with their voices generally... They can emit their voices when they want and how they want - and it can be so beautiful!

And what about me? Even a bit of stress or anger and my voice is faltering, trembling... I'd love to manage phoning by myself but...

Good evening everyone.

[deep sigh]

Well... I've been to the dentist's a couple of times since the last post... I try to be composed and matter-of-fact on this forum (and - if only I can - in life too) but now it's so difficult! :(

I want my teeth out! I'm so fed up with pains and aches in my mouth! Now I'm having something like an inflammation of my gums... I've had some medication put there but it hasn't helped, I used chlorhexidine mouthwash for some time - almost the same result... :(

Gordon once said that nothing in particular can be done with periodontitis, except cleanings...

I don't care...! I won't stand any dental hygiene routine done by any of my Parents - I must do it by myself, that's it! So, a dental irrigator - forget it (although my Dentist recommended it on my last appointment)! I guess, won't be able to use interdental brushes by myself too... :dunno:

I just... want my teeth out now, as long as I am relatively young! 😢 Just no brushing inside my mouth, no caries problems and so on...! 😭

I posted a reply here last year and I still sympathize with you, despite my best efforts and ever increasing cost I am not out of pain.

The last private dentist I saw regularly didn't bother to form a care plan, she was good but didn't seem to know how to help me. She then left and her replacement had no idea of the situation oddly, it was like starting afresh - at the last appointment to discuss my pain I was interrupted 5 times by ppl coming in and out, she left me sat there for 5 minutes, and at the end of it all she told me to see someone capable of diagnosing the cause. Brilliant.
I consider that place a private-NHS dentist, in that it's the usual 'watch and wait' (wait until it's abcessed/visible on x-ray) approach but we'll charge you £90 for an assessment and x-rays but not provide treatment.. meanwhile your teeth deteriorate.

I went to another private place, at a further £110, he was aggressive and happy to push implants upon me and picking aggressively at my teeth in efforts to find more problems it seemed. All he did was terrify me.

My third private dentist is equally as expensive as the last but at least provides me with a treatment plan and is gentle and listens.
I'm part way into that plan, the work he's done so far hasnt resolved the pain so I know 2 RCT are on the cards.. And in true fashion this week yet another tooth has made itself known..
I just don't know what to say about that.

Id love to be positive, have a success story, but after 10years of trying at this I'm fed up with it. The only time the pain has gone away has been with the removal of the teeth. Yet that in itself has caused shifting and chipping of the remaining teeth.
I feel like this is a bottomless pit of spending & getting your hopes up only to find out it didn't work, the pain continues - hanging over me like a black cloud affecting any plans or anything that should be enjoyable/fun and my mental health is deteriorating at the same rate as my teeth.

I completely understand the wish to have them gone, but I also know it will age me if they're removed.. but this pain and issues are relentless.

do you know what would help you..
Have you got an electronic toothbrush, they usually time the brushing for you.. maybe the use of an app will encourage you, I tend to take my phone with me and just put YT on in the background to pass the time. Would anything at all help?

for what it's worth I'd encourage you looking after what you've got as best you can. I think I realised too late and my teeth are probably way worse than yours x

Back