• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm having a REALLY hard time dealing with my braces...

P

pintsize85

Ok, little back ground! I'm 26 and I still have 3 baby teeth. (Top 2 I-teeth and one bottom one). My smile was ok, the adult I-teeth are just really high up, when I smile you can just make out the bottom of the pointed end, depending how much I'm willing to show!

Anyway, I decided to get braces and get my smile fixed... I've always had the fear of the dentist, I've gotten lots of support from this site over the years! Well, last week I went and got my braces... and today marks a full week...

Honestly, I thought I would be upset on how I looked with them, but I'm not. Its the pain I'm having a hard time dealing with... I went to get my baby teeth pulled yesterday, and the dentist saw that I was still in pain and said nope, give it another week. I called my ortho and he is having me come in today on my lunch to take a look around.

My front teeth are still in a state of pressure.. I can't bite down on anything at all, they hurt :cry::cry: This is the point where I begin to freak out and get nervous. I think of the worse possible things. One of my front teeth is a little lower than the other one, was never like that before! I know my teeth are going to move... I dunno I think I'm just freaking myself out.... i reallly hope all this is worth it...

Hi pint!
My sympathies. I had braces over 25 years ago, but I do remember that when I first had them put on, it was painful in the way you describe. I remember that it was most uncomfortable in the very beginning and then it did get better!
Hope you feel better soon!

Hi pintzize85

I can remember those days :o

That pressure feeling only lasted maximum of a week but unfortunately happens every time you have them adjusted - take Panadol or similar before you go, it helps.

I found that for that week I made sure I only ate soft (ish) foods but after a couple of times and realising it was 'normal' I didn't find it too bad.

It will be worth it in the end ;)

I went to get my baby teeth pulled yesterday, and the dentist saw that I was still in pain and said nope, give it another week. I called my ortho and he is having me come in today on my lunch to take a look around.

It sounds like you are in good hands. The oral surgeon did not extract in all costs, your orthodontist will check you again, I think you can find a solution together.
All the best :)

Pintsize85,
Im going wednesday after 8 years of avoiding the dentist. I'm 27 and also have a baby tooth. Mine is a lower right premolar. I know they are going to want mine pulled too! When I was going to the dentist they told me I could only keep it for so long, they made it taller so the tooth above it wouldn't drop down. Well now it's got a cavity and there probably wouldn't be much use saving it. One of my coworkers use to work at a dentist office and she was surprised they even let me keep it then.

But once I get this over with, find out of my wisdoms need to come out and I survive it all. I want to see about taking the next step and getting either braces or invisialign. Possibly see if they would help fill the gap in where my baby tooth is since I have overcrowding, and also fix my overbite!

My sister who is 32 had braces two years ago and said here got less painful with time.

Perywinkle

freaking out about my 330 dentist appointment....

I had my braces put on 2 weeks ago.. my front teeth still are sore ( I'm 26 so I'm assuming since i'm older my pain will be a little longer than say a 13 yrold...) anyway, I posted on here a few weeks ago and I got lots of awesome support!

I still have baby teeth... sigh.. and I'm getting onc side pulled today ( just the I teeth.) I'm sooo sooo nervous! esp with my front teeth still tender... I have some anti anxiety meds that my dr RX for me, i'll be taking that shortly.. i'm so so scared.. :shame::shame::shame::shame:

Re: freaking out about my 330 dentist appointment....

Good Luck You are so brave!!!!!!!!:)

Just to say, I really hope your appointment went well today. Hope the medication helped. And I hope you're doing ok afterwards too. :XXLhug:

First of all, you are not alone with this. At times during high school, most notably junior year, my braces were insanely painful whenever I tried to eat lunch or something. Sooner or later they knocked it off but for the time being it was really annoying to have excruciating pain whenever they were tightened.
Regardless, I think I am getting them off soon so I barely even notice them anymore. In my opinion it is definitely worth the hassle. My teeth are straighter than I remember. For me, orthodontists aren't as bad as dentists, so getting them was relatively easy...except for tightenings. Those varied. XD
Yea but seriously you will be fine. Keep painkillers handy and try to eat softer foods if the pain is THAT bad that you can't eat in peace without sensitivity. Good luck with your braces and I hope you have an easy time with them. :)

Thank you everyone for the support! My apt went well! they numbed me up and I was out within 15 minutes! Took longer to numb me than anything!

Back