• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm having an issue with the Dentist who filled a cavity early February.

A

allhours

Late January of this year (last month), I was informed by the dentist that I had a cavity. I went two weeks later (after my cleaning and after he informed me) to have the filling fixed - the filling was near my gum-line. The dentist never did an xray on the cavity. After the novocaine wore off, the filling was in pain. I figured, well, the cavity has to "set" or heal, so I figured in time it would settle down. 10 days later, it got worse, the pain would not subside. I called the dentist and over the phone explained my situation, the dental assistant said right over the phone, the never is dying, you are going to need a root -canal. I was pretty upset over this, and went to an endodontist to confirm this. The only thing I was told by the dentist was I had a cavity and it needed to be fixed, never did I expect to be hit with a root-canal. Never did he articulate the possibility of a root-canal, and again, he did not xray the tooth prior to seeing the cavity with his naked eye or after seeing it. Anyway, the endodontist did a full mouth xray with some huge machine I stood in, and some standard xrays. The only xrays he had were from 6 months earlier, in which case the tooth was fine.

Yep, you need a root canal said the endodontist. The endodontist gave me an appointment for a root canal and 1500 mg/day for 7 days of antibiotics and Vicaden as pain killers. I am now looking at a $1300.00 bill for my root canal to be done later this month on March 14th along with the need for a crown which will be around $1000.00 also. How could this be? I was told I had a cavity which was not xrayed and now I need a root canal? I was upset and angry and wanted to see the dentist to discuss this.

I called the dentist again and said, "listen, when you did my cavity, you said all I had was a cavity, you said nothing of any possibility of a root canal, furthermore, why didn't you xray the tooth?" I explained how mad I was over this situation, so he told me to come into his office to discuss this which I did.

When I came in, I sat in the chair beside the dentist chair and told him, I feel you are responsible for this situation and I feel because you didn't tell me anything other than, "You have a cavity", nor did any communicating, I feel you should absorb the cost. The dentist went off on me like a maniac, saying "I don't want you in my office anymore, I am discharging you as a patient". Basically he lost his temper with me. As mad as I was, I maintained good control.

Is it correct given the circumstances to feel he committed malpractice? I certainly feel he did. Anyone else experience anything similar to this?
When I glanced at the xray from the Endodonist, it looked as if he drilled right to the pulp area. I personally feel the dentist acted negligently. Any comments? I feel I should be able to sue him. Around 20 year ago, when I needed a root canal on another tooth, the dentist I used at that time, was talking about it in full detail before he even worked on the tooth in question. Any input would be helpful here, extremely helpful.

Re: I'm having an issue with the Dentist who filled a cavity early February.

Sounds like a communication problem. Caries on the side of the tooth is not very visible on an x-ray. X-rays are most helpful when the decay is where we can't see it. When you have caries on the gum line it is always close to the "nerve". If the dentist hadn't treated then 100% of the time it would have ended up as a root canal.

Dear Comfortdentist,

So you're saying he didn't act in negligence? You are saying it's simply a communication problem? If that's the case, then shame on me for questioning his abilities, and shame on him for not explaining Jack ___ to me.... Correct me if I'm wrong, however that's what it sounds like you're articulating here.

Of course I didn't see what actually happened but going by what you said this all makes sense. I personally don't take an x-ray before performing a filling on the side of the tooth near the gum like I think you had. I will tell a patient if it is deep(close to the nerve). The nerve maybe as close as 3mm to the surface so it doesn't have to be all that big to act up.

FWIW - I agree with comfortdentist. I've had fillings done that my dentist never expected to become an issue end up needing a root canal shortly after. Sometimes teeth are more traumatized than the dentist realizes or can predict. I also agree that it seems that your dentist has not done well to communicate with you.

FWIW - I agree with comfortdentist. I've had fillings done that my dentist never expected to become an issue end up needing a root canal shortly after. Sometimes teeth are more traumatized than the dentist realizes or can predict. I also agree that it seems that your dentist has not done well to communicate with you.

Yes! sometimes you have no idea until you are into it AND sometimes the tooth just acts up
This is health care not mechanics.

Well, there was an 'argument' and now he doesn't want to work on me anymore. I have an appointment with an Endodontist to have a root canal, but no Dentist now to do the crown. I know Dentists are not "social workers", but this guy should have understood where I was coming from.

I was in DIRE pain for 2 weeks almost, pain so bad, it went from my ear to my chin. It wasn't the Dentist who gave me the Anti-Biotics and pain killers, it was the Endodontist. NOT FAIR that I had to be thrown out of his practice as a patient given the circumstances and given that all I did was express how upset I was and thought he should "pay" for it, not being armed with some of the knowledge I got from this site. I'm not a dentist, I am a patient who had a cavity filled, and for the FIRST time, had a very unusual experience. I have had at least 8-10 cavities in my life and NEVER had anything like this happen, so I feel justified in getting upset with the dentist and having a hard time digesting the situation.

Last edited:

Hey Allhours...I know this can be frustrating.

Many of our cavities can be treated with drill & fill. Some of us have nerves that are much more sensitive than others.

I'm not sure why you suffered for two weeks before you went to see an Endo? Why didn't you return to the Dentist to get some pain relief?

Did the Endo tell you that the decay went into the nerve from his xray?

Regardless, your Dentist didn't say "Hey, I'm going to perform a filling on this tooth, but you may need a root canal." probably because in *most* patients with the same circumstances, a filling would treat the decay. That your tooth (that particular tooth even) hurt so much after the treatment that it developed irreversible pulpitis isn't the "Fault" of the Dentist....It's not your fault, either.

We have to assume that the Dentist performed his work with the same care he would give any of his other patients,and without good evidence, there's nothing here to suggest that this Dentist performed his work poorly or didn't follow care protocols. That's to say that he didn't perform his work with malice, hoping the filing would fail. The Dentist did the best he could and was hoping a relatively affordable filling would treat the tooth, saving you the cost of RCT and a crown. Unfortunately for both of you, the treatment failed.

Unless you have evidence that the work he performed was shoddy or overly aggressive, I don't think you have a case for malpractice. I've had a small filling that caused severe pain that eventually resolved itself. I did not end up needing RCT or a crown but it could have gone either way. It wasn't the fault of my Dentist; she didn't put the decay in my tooth and she treated it with excellent precision. It's not her fault that I have a nerve disorder (AFP) or sensitive teeth.

While I can appreciate that you're frustrated with this situation, I can also understand why the Dentist doesn't want to risk treating you in the future. That he invited you in to explain why he treated you the way he did demonstrated that he wanted to be fair. To demand he pay for your dental costs because your tooth didn't respond positively to his treatment, despite his best efforts, put him in a bad position and he is protecting his own interests by not treating you in the future. Trust me, he understands how expensive RCT & Crown costs. If you wrote a letter and asked (not demanded) that he please refund the cost of your filling, he may agree to do so. And it would be a favor if he does because despite how your tooth responded to his treatment, he still used materials, his time, his assistants time, equipment, insurances, utilities, etc to perform the filling -- this wasn't free for him.

Bottom line: Tho the majority of patients respond textbook to any treatment, there are absolutely never *any* guarantees with Dental work or medical treatment, either. Any time you have dental work performed, you risk damaging your teeth OR, as in your case, need future treatment to resolve your decay or injury. You can consult with 100 Dentists and none of them are going to sign a contract stating that they guarantee your teeth will always respond positively to treatment.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope your RCT and crown goes well.

Good luck.

The reason I waited was because this same dentist did a cavity on the left upper portion of my mouth back in July. (The one giving me trouble now is Molar #31) I don't know the # of the one back in July, but that one was on the left upper side of the mouth. But after the July cavity after the doctors work, was sensitive for around 2 to 3 weeks, but then totally got better and now it seems perfect. No pain, no sensitivity, no problems to date. I figured to myself, well, this might be a deeper one, so perhaps it may take a bit more time to resolve itself. This dentist doesn't like to talk. In the short time I've dealt with him, he's a man of few words. He is a man in his early to mid 70's at least, and has a very stern demeanor about him.

Last edited:

TO EVERYONE

"This dentist doesn't like to talk. In the short time I've dealt with him, he's a man of few words. He is a man in his early to mid 70's at least, and has a very stern demeanor about him."

Dentists, physicians, computer people and engineers often come from the same group who like the analytical problems of their profession and aren't all that social. Truly there are exceptions like me but if you have one of this type and it certainly seems like your dentist is that type it may not be good for an anxious patient but this type may be excellent performers at their task.

I disagree Comfortdentist.
You are dealing with the PUBLIC. I myself am a "computer person". I am Comptia A+, and Newtork+ Certified. I purposely don't want to work on other peoples computers because I know how fussy people can be. If you are a doctor or dentist or someone who deals with people, you have to realize that "It takes all kinds". I myself tip my hat to ANY doctor or dentist, especially in this day and age where you can't say boo without being torn up. You see this kind of thing on TV and every day with politicians and actors, but that's a whole other issue. This dentist I went to is a business owner. And as a business owner, your obligation is to keep your customers happy. As a seller on eBay (13 years and counting), if I get even ONE PROBLEM with a buyer, eBay will YANK the money back from me, and return it to the buyer. I sell a faulty cell phone or a damaged frying pan, I HAVE TO MAKE GOOD, END OF STORY, even if it is the fault of the US Postal Service in shipping, all eyes are on ME, the seller. Thank goodness as anxious as I am, I have almost 2000 transactions with 100% feedback.

I feel this dentist FAILED MISERABLY in dealing with my issue and I should be FULLY COMPENSATED for as a result of this. Again, I went into a procedure spending around $150.00 thinking I would walk away with my problem solved. Nothing was said to me by him, he didn't outline any risks or any possible "issues". Had he, my tune would be different. I had a heart stent done about a month and a half ago. I was told of ALL POSSIBLE OUTCOMES by the cardiologist. I was even given statistics. A cardiologist, is similar to a dentist in that they are both doctors. Before I entered this dentists office I didn't even know I had a problem. He told me I had a cavity and left it at that, now less than a month later, I'm out between 2500 and 3000 dollars. No attorney will work with me on this, because in their eyes, this is "chump change" I already checked into it with a couple of lawyers, but I am seriously looking into "small claims". I respect your opinion, but disagree.

Last edited:

Just out of curiosity, allhours, I'm assuming you signed some paperwork when you started seeing this dentist for treatment?

I agree with FearfulInMA - It just happened to my older brother. He went in for what he assumed to be a regular filling and once it was finished, the dentist told him that it was actually much deeper than expected and if he had kept drilling, it would have gotten to the point of actually needing a root canal and crown rather than a basic filling. Neither of them knew this going into the appointment (and my brother's dentist is one I saw for several years and is absolutely amazing about not bs'ing patients when it comes to where they stand)

You are quite justified in being upset at the situation.....but the dentist is just as justified to decide that he no longer wants you in the practice. It's like going to a restaurant and ordering a meal - You can complain and "raise a stink" (for lack of a better term, I've got Southern in me :giggle: ) when the meal isn't exactly what you wanted, but the wait staff can also ask you to leave when you do so.

This dentist I went to is a business owner. And as a business owner, your obligation is to keep your customers happy.

I hate that saying for this very reason. As a customer service person/business owner, your primary obligation is to look out for your business - and while most of the time that means keeping customers happy, caving into everyone's demands will eventually bankrupt your business. OP was dissatisfied with the service; As someone who has been to some crummy dentists, I understand that. Demanding that the dentist refund you due to something that was relatively out of his hands was not the way to go about doing things.

I am seriously looking into "small claims".

Good luck - the most you might get is the initial fee you paid the dentist for the filling, and that's iffy, at best.

So I have been reading this post in interest because last November I had the same issue

My dentist drilled into my canine with the expectation that he may be able to save me from a root canal. He drilled so much.. more than the other cavities that he had fixed recently and when he was taking out the decay.. he found that it was infected. He put a post in the tooth and said that I only had 1/3 of the tooth left and it should have been a root canal.

Right now I don't eat on that side because it is completely bonded and I want to go with someone else after I finish the work I am getting from him to look at an implant in the next year or so. But sometimes dentists do try their best to help you out.

Remember, as a consumer, you also have a choice in what is being done to you... while I need another root canal done ... I also know that i have a cavity on my left front tooth that I want filled first. I told the dentist receptionist last week.. and that it is my choice. Just like it is your choice to go with that dentist who tried to do the best he could.

You could look at small claims.. but sometimes the better method is to take that passion and emotion you have and deal with the situation more proactively.. with a positive approach. You will save time and money.. with a tooth that will be fixed regardless.

This is healthcare and not a simple job of replacing parts or dealing with inanimate objects. Doctors treat disease and in dentistry we treat by performing what are essentially minor surgeries. These procedures are performed all day long under adverse conditions for the treating doctor. Ever case is unique and judgments must be continuously made. Need for more treatment based on discover is a routine event in healthcare. Sometimes it is simply a larger restoration, a crown, or perhaps a root canal. Other times it is quite possible to start an old filling and that develops into a cracked tooth situation that even after a root canal, build-up and crown the tooth later abscesses and requires an extraction. Unfortunately that same tooth that started off as "just a filling" now requires an extraction, bone graft, sinus lift, implant, abutment and a crown. This is the reality of caring for a living person just like awhile back a patient of mine went in for a "simple" appendectomy and died.
Don't let the tremendous success of modern dentistry lull you into thinking it is "simple".

From my experience of discussing just this kind of issue with my own dentist; he informs me that whilst radiography is a great tool in assisting diagnosing Dental disease (decay), the exact extent cannot necessarily be determined until he starts working on the tooth (his description was "a voyage of discovery" as such it's almost impossible to know how close to the "nerve" that the decay has extended in cases like this and it's down to our individual physiology.

The issue I had was my previous dentist failed to intervene soon enough, knowing that I had decay in a particular area and doing nothing for a couple of years until the situation was much worse (I attended every 6 months and never missed an appointment) I'm hoping it was just inexperience on their part and not something more serious.

Back