• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm new.. is this forum still active... tips/advice needed!

• Thread starter ScaredofEVERYTHING!
  • Start date
S

ScaredofEVERYTHING!

Hello. I was just google-ing as I thought I would be alone in my phobia.. I'm still not sure that I'm not as I think this more based around dentists.. I fear the dentist but it doesn'teffect my day to day life. I am however scared of everything else teeth related..
I can't brush my teeth atall .. I was just reading some tips on this website and im definitely going to try them .. in the dark
electric toothbrush using just water.. my mum also told me to
put headphones on cause the "ch-ch-ch" brushing noise freaks
me out.. its impossible to watch tv.. every other advert is toothpaste and every documentary following someones life at some point or other they ate brushing there teeth.. I cant see people brushing and they can't see me makes me be sick I can't look at toothpaste ever I don't even like to think about toothpaste... I don't know where all this began or why but I hate it.. I now have a 1yr old who has 8 little perfect white teeth and I can't brush them for him so I neeeeeeeeed to sort this.. please help if anyone is still here... also my oh will appreciate it this morning I got told "babe I love you but it smells like something died in your mouth can you try the mouthwash today" lol

Hello and welcome! Yes, we're still here. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I know there are others on this board who have similar fears (I can't remember off the top of my head, but if you do some searching in the forum you will find some very similar posts). I know it doesn't feel this way, but it's huge to even acknowledge that this is a problem and something you want to change.

I'm sure others will be along to welcome you as well! If you can't find the posts similar to yours, please post back here and I will try to find them.

Glad you found us!

There is a reason why you don't brush your teeth, but I am not sure why. Is there a sense of shame attached to brushing your teeth? My mother had the same phobia and did not even buy us toothbrushes as children. I am glad you are working on your fear for your son. That is very brave of you. And I think most of us who have issues with our teeth hate those commercials with those oh so happy people with perfect teeth. I am sending you good thoughts.

Hi :welcome: we most certainly are here in the hundreds if not the thousands all with fears and phobia's. What is it that you can't stand about brushing your teeth?

Is it just the toothpaste and what is it about toothpaste that you don't like? smell, texture etc... because you can get different types of toothpaste. Although you do mention that your OH asked you to try a mouthwash so I am presuming that you don't like that either.

Have you tried chewing sugar free gum, and do you know cheese cleans the teeth, it is not a substitute for brushing but it might help you if you have a small piece after eating until you can work up the courage to brush.

If it is the brush and brushing action you don't like you could rub some toothpaste on your finger and rub it around you teeth and gums to start with to get you used to it, then gradually with a baby brush you could try gentle brushing.

If brushing and toothpaste are not an option at all at the moment which is what it sounds like to me, have you tried flossing, you can get easy glide floss and floss this would be a start.

Could you show your son to rub toothpaste on his teeth, or better still get your OH to show the brushing side of things.

All of this might be of no help to you, if you can give us an idea of what bothers you most it might help us.

All the best to you, stay with us and we will help where we can and you can get things off your chest with no judgement from anyone. We are all very friendly and we even have a bit of a giggle at times about our fears and dental adventures :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Back