• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm not sure about the cause of this dental pain.

D

Donut

Hello, since 2013 I've had this pain in my upper left jaw which I thought was caused by a toothache. I went to my local dentist and he determined that tooth 13 which I have previously had root canal treatment on was causing the pain. He proposed that I should have another root canal treatment which I did, but the pain still persisted after 6 months. I went back to my dentist and he proposed that I should give up on more root canal treatments, extract the tooth and have a dental implant installed. I followed his advice, but the pain still continued.

I went back to my dentist and he told me that tooth 14 which I've also had root canal treatment on before was the cause of the pain, so I've also had it extracted and had another dental implant instead. After waiting it out even more, I went back to my dentist and informed him that the pain was still there even though I should not be feeling anything because I've had both problematic teeth extracted and replaced with implants. After consulting with him even further he has determined that the pain I had was probably caused by Temporomandibular joint dysfunction. I asked if he can do an x-ray to be positively sure that the cause of my pain was Temporomandibular joint dysfunction, but he said that it wouldn't appear on any x-rays and the only thing that I can do to manage the pain is use a mouthguard when sleeping.

I would like to ask is there absolutely no possible way to find out if I have Temporomandibular joint dysfunction for sure? and if I do have it then would you recommend that I get surgery for it? I am afraid to do more unnecessary dental treatments at this point so any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

TMJ pain is different than "nerve" pain as failing rct pain is different.
it seems there is difficulty in diagnosis so I would focus there first.

I would go and see another dentist and get a second and even a third opinion. It sounds to me like your dentist is guessing and costing you teeth and money in the process. :butterfly:

I had pain on a tooth with a root canal(done years ago). Dentist actually thinking I'm clenching in my sleep and during the day. I just bought a $40 mouth guard to test it. Not too comfy to sleep with but will tell me if its correct or not. If it does the I'll spend nearly a grand on a dentist splint. basically a mouth guard made by dentist but fairly fat so don't have much bite space between teeth.

i agree with poster above, see another dentist.

I will get another dentist's opinion as everyone has suggested and see where I go from there.

Thank you for the valuable advice!

Back