• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm not sure what to do.

M

Morgan222

I'm not sure the point of this but I'm just very distressed and need to vent.

When I was 10 I had an accident that led to me knocking my two front teeth and another tooth to the side out, they were all placed back in (badly chipped), but the one to the side was placed in wrong, so I had to have it removed a few years later, I had a tooth on a plate for a while, then a bridge (it fell out), then I had to pay privately to have an implant.

I had the front teeth filled in, however the filling is changing colour from the teeth themselves, and I know I can't whiten either of these teeth because they wouldn't match my implant as that can't change colour. I'm also told these teeth will either turn black or fall out in the next few years as they are dead.

I also asked for braces when I was about 13, they told me they cannot put braces on my top teeth due to my damaged teeth, but they can on the bottom, but it wasn't necessary because no one will ever see them, 5 years in the future, I'm 18 and I'm told I need braces on my bottom teeth, but it wont be free as I'm now 18.

I'm so terrified of the future, I'm going to need so much work done, I'm going to have to have two implants on my front two teeth, and I'm going to have to pay for braces.

I'm so scared, my teeth are horrible and there's nothing I can do about it, I'm still a student without a job, it's affecting my confidence massively, I don't speak to people because I don't want them to see my teeth. I'm going to have to take out a mortgage or something to afford it :(

Hi Morgan222 :welcome: to the forum, are you in the UK because if so you may be able to get help with your dental charges as a student.

I am sorry you are having these problems, is there any way you could find out if there is help available, ask at your uni they will be able to tell you if you can get help. If not could you go to a dentist that could do a payment plan for you, or step treatment so that you could have bits done as you could afford it.

I am sorry if this isn't much help but I think if you are in the UK there is help available, also could you attend a dental hospital for treatment where students will do the work but under supervision. :)

Hey Morgan, I'm in a similar situation to you regarding braces (was told when I was 10 I needed braces but they didn't give me them) Now that I'm 19 I still need braces but they would cost.

If your in the UK and over 18, believe it or not you CAN get braces for a band 3 charge on the NHS, IF there is a clinical need for them (such as difficulty in eating etc). My dentist keeps telling me I'll have to pay for them but I disagree as I think I'd probably qualify for them for free. The only way to find out is to visit an orthodontist and see as you never know :).

It's easy for me to say don't worry about how your teeth look at the moment. I have horrendous looking teeth at the moment and wont have a decent smile for a few years yet. But what keeps me going is that whilst it may take a long time, at least i know that in the end I WILL have nice teeth (but will have raided my emotions and bank account in the process). So please hang in there because all will be fine in the end!

Keep us updated mate, all the best - Jabbed.

Back