• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm petrified and ashamed of how they look (pic included)

That is fabulous news! I am so happy to hear that they treated you so well and that you do not need any extractions. You should feel very proud of yourself for going through with it as that’s not easy!
That is awesome that you were able to be upfront with expressing your fears with them (I’m still not very good at that!). I think it takes a lot of courage to admit that you are fearful to the dental staff. Your success story will definitely encourage other people to keep moving forward. I too have a filling scheduled in a couple of weeks as does another member @Hartington99 . I told @Hartington99 that we are appointment buddies but you can join the club now and we can be a trio! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

Definitely up for being trio buddies ???

Thank you for your lovely replies.

Sorry only just replied feel like I'm worrying even more now.

Since my appointment I'm sure he must have missed something as i have a dull ache in lower part of jaw that comes and goes. I'm thinking one of my molars is cracked. He said my xrays were clear but searching on Google seems to show that cracks are likely to be missed on an xray.

He looked and said none of my teeth would have to be extracted and looked fine but I'm guessing this might not be the case?

I had a brief amount of time feeling great about going but now I feel back to where I was with the worry and fear consuming me again ? reading online shows that teeth can be cracked which impacts all the other teeth next to it and can lose them all.

Don't know what to do now, I have an appointment in 2 weeks

Thanks again for all your support ?

I will tell you that when my mom cracked her molar she was in non-stop excruciating cannot function type of pain. It actually didn’t show anything on her X-ray either but my dentist suspected a crack and sent her to an endodontist who confirmed it was cracked by drilling into the tooth to attempt a root canal. Did you tell the dentist about the pain you were experiencing in that area? Maybe they can take another look at it when you go back for the filling. Based on the symptoms you are having, I would doubt it’s something that cannot be salvaged. You can crack a tooth and still save it as long as the crack is superficial and does not go all the way down to the root. My mom’s tooth was cracked all the way through and could not be saved but as I said before she was in constant and extreme pain from it (Even just sitting at rest not eating or drinking anything).

I will tell you that when my mom cracked her molar she was in non-stop excruciating cannot function type of pain. It actually didn’t show anything on her X-ray either but my dentist suspected a crack and sent her to an endodontist who confirmed it was cracked by drilling into the tooth to attempt a root canal. Did you tell the dentist about the pain you were experiencing in that area? Maybe they can take another look at it when you go back for the filling. Based on the symptoms you are having, I would doubt it’s something that cannot be salvaged. You can crack a tooth and still save it as long as the crack is superficial and does not go all the way down to the root. My mom’s tooth was cracked all the way through and could not be saved but as I said before she was in constant and extreme pain from it (Even just sitting at rest not eating or drinking anything).

Thank you so much for your reply, I just feel so stupid at the moment. It wasn't even on my mind when I was in the appointment I think I was in shock I was there, shocked he didn't pick much up and shocked at how composed I felt.

Now I have a dull ache but I have been pressing it loads which probably hasn't helped.

I'm so stupid not bringing it up with him, now I feel petrified he won't be able to save it and there maybe more problems that don't show on xrays.

I've been googling to see if it was cracked below the gumline would it show on xray, surely if the root or the pulp or tooth was damaged below that would show up?

Thank for you telling me about your mum and her experience, I'm definitely not in pain just a dull ache which scares me as I've convinced myself it will be extracted now.

I did so much work and managed to get rid of my anxiety to go the other day and now I feel worse than ever with worry. I have such a busy two weeks coming up where i will struggle with getting another appointment, don't know whether to wait till my filling appointment or not ?

Sorry for being so negative just feel really annoyed at myself and worried

This is the tooth I'm worried about (attached photo)

I've been running my fingers over my gum and I'm sure there is a tiny lump right at the bottom of my gum by the jaw. I'm currently freaking out at the moment with what this could be. Still haven't spoken to anyone else about this ?

Thanks again for listening to me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200119-173218_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200119-173218_Gallery.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 8
I totally get how you're feeling because I have dental phobia too, and a tendency to jump to worse case scenarios. I often hyper focus on a single tooth, touching, pressing, worrying, googling, etc. I hope this may reassure you, but I always have a sore molar or 2 after a dental visit because holding my mouth open for a cleaning and x-rays causes my jaw to be a bit sore, which causes tooth pain. Continually "testing" a tooth will never help (I do this ALL the time!) but leaving that tooth alone is so much easier said than done!! I hope the tooth has settled down and you're less worried about it today. Let us know how you're doing xx

Glad it wasn't as bad as you feared... most of the time things are better than we expect them to turn out, not just with teeth but in general... Could it your dull ache be from clenching/grinding your teeth at night? That was the reason for me, and I have been wearing a nightguard for about four years, it's been a miracle not just for my molars, my headaches largely went away too.