• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm really confused, and about to panic...

W

wdfwguy

To make a long story short, I've had terrible anxiety about seeing the dentist following some awful childhood experiences. it's gotten better over the years, but it's still an issue. And as a result, I've not taken care of my teeth as well as I could have.

Flash forward, and earlier this week I felt like I was having a sinus infection. I was having throbbing pain on the left side of my face, starting from above my teeth up the side of my nose, under my cheek bones. I had a very similar sinus infection in March of this year that followed almost this same path. Night before last, the pain got worse and my face had started to swell. So, yesterday morning I went to the local urgent care. The Dr gave my antibiotic and steroid shots, and sent me home with steroid and antibiotic packs. He asked me if I was having tooth pain, but I wasn't. I know sometimes tooth and sinus pain can be very similar.

Last night, I was feeling a little better, and the swelling had gone slightly, but I was running a fever. I took some Tylenol and my antibiotics, and I don't have a fever this morning, and the pain is better.. But my face is still slightly swollen.

SO....this morning I was brushing my teeth and noticed a sore spot on my upper gums directly underneath where the pain and swelling is. It doesn't look like pictures I've looked up for abscesses. It almost looks more like a canker sore. But now I'm starting to worry that this is the cause of the issues. Although it definitely seems like I really do have a sinus infection. It seems unlikely that it's unrelated.

Ugh, I'm just stressing over the entire thing, and it's Sunday morning and there's not I can do but worry.

Hi wdfwguy,

sorry to read about your situation, hopefully the pain subsides very soon.
It sounds like you would benefit from seeing a dentist, but at the same time I understand how scary this thought currently is to you.. You mentioned that your anxiety got better over years, this sound like you have or had a dentist. Do you feel like coming back?

Getting a potentially dental issue while being scared of the dentist is certainly not a nice place to be, on the other hand, maybe this could serve you as a brand new start of a journey to beat your fear? You will find plenty of advice and support here on the site and a lot of success stories as well..

All the best wishes and let us know your thoughts.

Back