• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm really scared to have oral surgery in the morning and will have IV sedation

A

alicourtney78

I'm really scared to have oral surgery in the morning and will have IV sedation

I've been reading posts on this site for some time, but I just now joined. I am so nervous and scared!!! I am having 11 teeth extracted on the top and getting an immediate denture. I have never had IV sedation and I am a smoker. I was told not to smoke for 24 hours before surgery and of course when I'm this nervous this is really hard to do :( I was just wondering what the risk of smoking would really be and can I just cut way back on smoking today?? I know I won't be able to smoke for several days after surgery and I understand that. I have had a dry socket before and definitely don't want to go through that again, so I know no smoking after. I have had many bad experiences in the past with dentists so that is one reason I'm so nervous and have been putting off doing this for some time. I would love some advice from someone who has been through this before...Please!!

Last edited:
Re: I'm really scared to have oral surgery in the morning and will have IV sedation

Hi there:welcome:,

I'm not a dentist so I can only guess - I suspect that the "smoking ban" before IV sedation has to do with oxygen saturation levels in your blood. My best guess is that the carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke could lower oxygen saturation below levels acceptable during IV sedation. I'm not sure how big a problem this is since it hasn't really come up on this forum before, and many people here have tried IV sedation.

If the carbon monoxide is the problem (rather than the nicotine), then using an electronic cigarette might be an alternative. Please note though that I'm not a dentist and not medically trained and that I'm just thinking out loud here...

Is it tomorrow morning that you're having the surgery?

Sending lots of hugs your way :grouphug:

Re: I'm really scared to have oral surgery in the morning and will have IV sedation

Hi alicourtney78

I cannot comment on the smoking thing only to say I know how hard it is for you not to smoke, I gave up about 5 or 6 years ago.

If you put in the search box under the dragon Terrified Lady and read her journal she had her teeth out and a denture put in so I think this might help you. It is very well written and truthful.

They will make sure you don't feel anything and others on here that have had the sedation have said they don't remember anything and they didn't feel anything.

The dentists are very good today compared to a few years ago and really try and do everything they can to help us get treatment done. The nurses are also very good at giving support, try and smoke the least you possibly can it is better if you don't smoke at all but you know that. I hope it all goes well for you, I am sure it will and then when you feel up to it you can come back on here and let us all know about your success.

You will really be okay, one minute you will be talking to them the next thing you know it will be all done. :grouphug:

I wish you luck with your appointment.

Thanks so much for your input on this, yes my surgery is in the morning. I hope everything goes ok.
Hi there:welcome:,

I'm not a dentist so I can only guess - I suspect that the "smoking ban" before IV sedation has to do with oxygen saturation levels in your blood. My best guess is that the carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke could lower oxygen saturation below levels acceptable during IV sedation. I'm not sure how big a problem this is since it hasn't really come up on this forum before, and many people here have tried IV sedation.

If the carbon monoxide is the problem (rather than the nicotine), then using an electronic cigarette might be an alternative. Please note though that I'm not a dentist and not medically trained and that I'm just thinking out loud here...

Is it tomorrow morning that you're having the surgery?

Sending lots of hugs your way :grouphug:

Back