• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm scared my toothache is going to kill me

P

Princess

2 years ago I had a root canal done on my back top molar due to a filling from childhood aggravating the nerve, causing unbearable pain. Everything was fine until October of this year. That same tooth started to throb again. Evntually my entire upper jaw and ear started hurting. I receive $733/mo disability benefits and I'm raising my son on that (my state insurance does not cover dental at all).at the time I had $0 to my name so I went to the ER after reading about a child who died of a brain abcess. The ER doc said there was nothing they could do other than prescribe me antibiotics. I got 300?mg amoxicillin. I was supposed to take it every 6 hours for 5 days but I missed a few doses. Nonetheless the pain subsided. I forgot about it all through November but then this month...it hit again like a million knives stabbing me in the gum line. I took a picture of the tooth with my phone and it looks like the filling is coming out and it's black underneath. The sides of the tooth are black.

I recently started tasting metallic in my mouth but I'm not sure if it's that or just my imagination (I read that was a symptom). My upper jaw and temple are throbbing. The ER had given me a list of low income mists in my area (Nashville Tennessee) but every last one of them wants a payment of some sort. That will be fine next month but I can't pay *anything* right now, and all my family and friends are equally as poor as I am. Because of my stupidity, I found the leftover amoxicillin from the doses I missed and took one. I've read about antibiotic resistance so maybe now the infection is back and stronger? I'm terrified right now that it will spread to my brain and I'll be dead, all because tenncare thinks an infection in ones mouth is a cosmetic problem.

The thing is, there never really was swelling in my face or cheek, nor have I detected any boils in my gum. These things would likely be present if this was a life or death situation, right? But I'm scared that I did myself in and an antibiotic resistant infection has taken over my tooth and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm going to die and there's no way out of it.....I know better than to go back to the ER. Every single time I've gone there (besides when my leg was broken in 5 places or the time a dog bit the hell out of my face) they have had this attitude like I'm wasting their time. Really makes me feel like crap.

This is a no win situation...:shame::shame::shame:

(Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional)

Dying from tooth infections is very rare, and beforehand you get so sick that you know for sure to get to hospital. You would have a very high fever for a start.

I used to get infections that would cause part of my face to swell up. My phobia was so bad that I ignored them repeatedly, and I'm still not dead. (I absolutely do NOT recommend doing this, to anyone reading. It's not worth it!)

If you are super worried, go to the ER and get some antibiotics. Who cares if they act like you're wasting their time? Your health, physical and mental, is more important. If you don't want to, then wait until you can afford the treatment, but I would suggest going to the ER if any of your symptoms get worse, and especially if you develop a fever.

2 years ago I had a root canal done on my back top molar due to a filling from childhood aggravating the nerve, causing unbearable pain. Everything was fine until October of this year. That same tooth started to throb again. Evntually my entire upper jaw and ear started hurting. I receive $733/mo disability benefits and I'm raising my son on that (my state insurance does not cover dental at all).at the time I had $0 to my name so I went to the ER after reading about a child who died of a brain abcess. The ER doc said there was nothing they could do other than prescribe me antibiotics. I got 300?mg amoxicillin. I was supposed to take it every 6 hours for 5 days but I missed a few doses. Nonetheless the pain subsided. I forgot about it all through November but then this month...it hit again like a million knives stabbing me in the gum line. I took a picture of the tooth with my phone and it looks like the filling is coming out and it's black underneath. The sides of the tooth are black.

I recently started tasting metallic in my mouth but I'm not sure if it's that or just my imagination (I read that was a symptom). My upper jaw and temple are throbbing. The ER had given me a list of low income mists in my area (Nashville Tennessee) but every last one of them wants a payment of some sort. That will be fine next month but I can't pay *anything* right now, and all my family and friends are equally as poor as I am. Because of my stupidity, I found the leftover amoxicillin from the doses I missed and took one. I've read about antibiotic resistance so maybe now the infection is back and stronger? I'm terrified right now that it will spread to my brain and I'll be dead, all because tenncare thinks an infection in ones mouth is a cosmetic problem.

The thing is, there never really was swelling in my face or cheek, nor have I detected any boils in my gum. These things would likely be present if this was a life or death situation, right? But I'm scared that I did myself in and an antibiotic resistant infection has taken over my tooth and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm going to die and there's no way out of it.....I know better than to go back to the ER. Every single time I've gone there (besides when my leg was broken in 5 places or the time a dog bit the hell out of my face) they have had this attitude like I'm wasting their time. Really makes me feel like crap.

This is a no win situation...:shame::shame::shame:

I can appreciate that dreadful feeling of being between a rock and a hard place. That pain in the jaw, face and temple can make you feel spacey. I had that for over a year or two before I had the courage and money to go to the dentist for a root canal. The dentist told me the infection spread to the bone. Is there any dental school that would take you for a nominal fee? Is it possible to be put to sleep. You won't die; I've lived to tell the tail, but you are suffering too much. Do you know of any friends/relatives who know dentists and would be willing to do the procedure for free as a favour? I know the inhumanity is appalling. Dental is as much a part of health and the rest of the body; I could never understand why "health care" is free but dental care isn't.

http://interfaithdentalclinic.com/patients/
Good luck. It can take a few days for antibiotics to work but you're going to need more then a few pills to make it last. I would try to call the place I listed and get in as an emergency patient. If it's a few weeks out go back to the er for another prescription. Honestly who cares what they think. Like everyone is suppose to have a few grand just laying around at times else you suffer. Go capitalism!

Back