• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm so proud of myself!!!

D

duhfraidycat

I just have to share my story because I am incredibly proud of myself! I grew up poor and going to the dentist was just not a thing we could afford. I vaguely remember going to the dentist once with my aunt but when I asked my mom she said I had never been. I am 33 years old, for reference. Because I had never been, I had built up this fear that it would be horrible and I just refused to go even though my husband and I have had dental insurance for over 2 years. Every time he would bring it up, I would make and excuse and try to change the subject.

Fast forward to a couple months ago when my husband had some horrible tooth pain. He scheduled a visit with a new dentist (he hadn't been since before we got married and we've been married 12 years). He ended up needing 2 root canals which scared the crap out of me because it sounded awful. But with all of the focus on teeth, I really started paying attention to my own teeth and I could see that I definitely had some decay that needed to be taken care of. I also had some minor pain that was bothering me. So after a lot of stress and anxiety, I asked my husband to schedule an appointment for me (so I could avoid having to make the call myself, I also have phone anxiety).

That fateful day came and I was at the dentist for a full THREE hours. My x-rays and exam showed that I had 14 cavities, mostly occlusal (on the chewing surface). The dentist explained that it would be best to do them in 4 sections so that I would only need to be numb in one area of my mouth at a time and so I wouldn't have to keep my mouth open as long at each visit.

She asked if I felt up for fillings that day and I said yes. I was terrified but she really put me at ease and she made sure I was in no pain whatsoever. She did 4 fillings that she later called "the worst ones" (meaning the ones that needed the longest amount of drilling) and told me that every visit from then on would be easier. Then she cleaned my teeth.

The cleaning was rough because I had a lot of plaque and tartar build up that needed to be removed. There was some pain when she went under my gum line but it wasn't terrible. She was encouraging and told me I was doing great through the cleaning. When she was done, she congratulated me on getting through it and said that going forward everything is going to be much easier. Then the assistant polished my teeth and applied fluoride and I was on my way.

The second visit was far easier. 4 more fillings done in about 45 minutes total. Again, zero pain. Don't get me wrong, my heart was still pounding and my palms were super sweaty but it wasn't awful.

The third visit was just as uneventful. I had 3 more fillings done and I was done in about 30 minutes.

Today was my last visit for fillings. I had 3 more done. This time the numbing wasn't as effective so as she started, I could feel the drill slightly. I raised my hand and she stopped immediately. I told her I could kind of feel it and she did another numbing shot. She reassured me that sometimes that happens and that I'm doing great. We chit-chatted a bit while we waited for the numbing to kick in. Then she got back to work. No feeling or pain at all after that last shot.

At every visit, I felt well cared for and everyone was so encouraging of me for facing my fears. But they were not patronizing. That is such a hard balance to strike and they did it. They were so proud of me for getting all this work done in a short window of time. Now the only thing that's left is for me to get my wisdom teeth removed which I am still very scared about but I'm working up the courage to do it. My goal is to get it done before my 6 month checkup in October.

I've stepped up my game on oral health. I am more thorough in my brushing (I bought a fancy toothbrush with a quadrant timer) and I have flossed at least 6 days a week since I started going. I can even fit in the thicker floss now! I have cut way back on between meal snacking and I try to drink a lot more water. I still have 2 cans of Coke Zero every day but I try to drink it quicker and follow up with a good swish of water to help remove any acid. I hope that I never have cavities again but if I do, I know that I can get through it. I am so proud of myself for facing my fears.

Congratulations!! So happy to read about your success :you-rock: