• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm still around

shamrockerin

shamrockerin

For people who don't know me, I'm a long time member. I don't post nearly as much as I used to because a couple years ago, I found an office that I really like, and my phobia is manageable now. In fact, when it comes to dental cleanings, I don't experience any anxiety any more (however, I haven't needed any treatment in a few years, so when that changes I suspect the phobia will come back strong).

I really like my hygienist because she is very easy to talk to, and she always remembers the sensitive teeth. She tells me that she remembers, assures me that she won't tinker with them, and then while she's going along cleaning, when she gets to those areas she will reassure me again, and be extra gentle (or skip them if possible). She never makes me feel like a high maintenance patient, and we have nice conversations. That's a huge triumph for me, because for a very long time, I was barely able to talk while in a dental office.

Whenever she is not available (right now she is on maternity leave), I schedule my cleaning with the Dr. I was a little nervous the first time because I thought he would not be as gentle, or he would be more critical or something, but he was just as reassuring. I had an appt on Monday with him to clean my teeth (I get them cleaned 4x a year now) and it was was great. I told hi about the Pop Culture elective class I taught, and he also studied History; he wrote his thesis on Folklore so I told him about the Folklore and Urban Legends elective I also taught so the conversation was great.

I know I have a few small cavities in my teeth and while the previous office ( a few years ago) made a big deal, and pressured me to get all the fillings at once, he knows I'm not ready yet so we agreed to just monitor them for now, and he'll let me know if they get worse and require intervention.

Anyways, I posted the office's info in the Find a Dentist section the other day because there was only 1 recommendation for dental office in New Hampshire, and I was not familiar with that office.

So yeah, I'm still around and I would never claim to be "cured" of dental phobia, but it doesn't rule my life like it once did.

Hi shamrockerin :waves:, that's fantastic news about having found a dentist and hygienist you really get along well with. Congratulations!! They both sound lovely.

Thanks so much for sharing your story and your recommendation and helping others in a similar position :).

Hi Shamrockerin!
I remember you and it’s great you found a place that makes you feel comfortable. Thank you for the dentist recommendation. Finding the right office can really make all the difference. It’s nice to hear from you and know that you’re still getting along well with everything.

Love reading your posts @shamrockerin ! like the rest have said sounds like a great place. and good to know for those in your area. We definately got to spread the word on these good anxious friendly dentists!!

Thanks, guys. For a long time I didn't think I'd ever be able to find an office where I actually enjoy getting my teeth cleaned, but so far so good.

Back