• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm still here

shamrockerin

shamrockerin

My dental appt today was one of the best ones yet.

I was a tiny bit nervous- probably only the same amount that most people are beforehand. But I didn't panic or have a racing pulse, and I didn't even have any bad dreams leading up to it! I like my usual hygienist, but it was actually the Dr. who did my cleaning today, and I was able to make nice conversation with him the whole time.

I used to need to listen to music during cleanings, but I haven't needed that in a couple years.

For a long time I couldn't even look at dentists, and I would often shut down (in order to avoid crying) if they tried to talk to me. But today we chatted about Father's Day (it was his first one), and craft brew places, and my grad school course. . .it was actually pleasant!

I'm glad I found a dentist who was willing to work with me, even when I was a nervous wreck at first.

Last edited:
That’s a nice success, congratulations!

My most dental appt today was one of the best ones yet.

I was a tiny bit nervous- probably only the same amount that most people are beforehand. But I didn't panic or have a racing pulse, and I didn't even have any bad dreams leading up to it! I like my usual hygienist, but it was actually the Dr. who did my cleaning today, and I was able to make nice conversation with him the whole time.

I used to need to listen to music during cleanings, but I haven't needed that in a couple years.

For a long time I couldn't even look at dentists, and I would often shut down (in order to avoid crying) if they tried to talk to me. But today we chatted about Father's Day (it was his first one), and craft brew places, and my grad school course. . .it was actually pleasant!

I'm glad I found a dentist who was willing to work with me, even when I was a nervous wreck at first.

Hi Shamrockerin!

I remember you from way back! I am pleased to read about how well you are doing! You have been on quite a journey! Thanks for updating us! It sounds like you have been through quite a transformation! Well done! I am glad you found a dentist that you can connect with and genuinely like.

Hi Shamrockerin!

I remember you from way back! I am pleased to read about how well you are doing! You have been on quite a journey! Thanks for updating us! It sounds like you have been through quite a transformation! Well done! I am glad you found a dentist that you can connect with and genuinely like.

Yes, it's been a long, twisting path with more than a couple set-backs. I have tried out a few offices in the past few years:

-the first dentist did good work, but wasn't very patient with my phobia, which was raw and raging after 13+ yrs of avoidance
-the second dentist was very nice, but he retired about a year after I became his patient. He sold his practice to another dentist, and I didn't really care for her
-I tried a place because it was very close to my home. The first hygienist I saw was lovely, but I didn't like the one I saw afterwards, and that dentist also seemed very annoyed and impatient with me
--I finally found my current dentist. After the previous experience, which was pretty bad, I was doing pretty badly again with my phobia. But everyone at this office is very kind, and I actually go 4x a year now, as well as bring my son to his appointments, and I've only had positive experiences. I haven't needed any treatment besides fillings in years, so I know at some point I'll have to gather some more courage to face that stuff, but for now, I'm doing great. :)

I am glad that your perseverance finally paid off! It is hard to find the right office and a lot of times things change and dentists/hygienists move or change jobs or retire. That is awesome that you are able to take your son to appointments and that it’s only been positive experiences for you both. Attending 4x a year should keep your teeth in pretty good shape and ward off needing anything more than fillings.