• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Im terrified :(

L

lm_scared

:hidesbehindsofa:Hi all new to this site someone must be smiling down on me to of found it  :jump: This might be a long story/diary but here goes......... we always were taking to the dentist as kids no problem........ then at age 9 l had to have 4 teeth out big ones at that backs.. l remember the dentist telling me to look up at the church steeple through the window as he slapped the black gas mask on me......... next thing lm sitting crying in the waiting room spitting blood into a yellow bowl......... my next visit was when l was about 25..... 2 of my lower molars either side had rotted away l was eating crisps when a crisp stuck right through the hole in my tooth! :-AGONY DONT COME INTO IT....... l had to go see a dentist.  Found a really lovely dentist who was good with reassurances etc and l got to trust him although l still remained a nervous wreck l ended up with a root canal a gold piece over the work and a gold crown to the other side.  A few days later the gold piece fell off and boy did my tooth hurt.  I rang up but the man l had been seen wasnt available so l braved his partner (a woman) l was giving the injection and felt terrible my heart was racing l was sweating l felt totally out of it... she told me to go sit in the waiting room to see if l would feel any better when l went back in she started asking me if l had anything wrong with me and went into great detail about patients not mentioning other illnesses and about having to resucitate people ..........well that was it! I felt like l was dying and she was half joking with the nurse about RESSUCITATION?????????????? l couldnt get out quick enough after she had finished... hubby was waiting for me and could not believe how ill l looked ..l was still ill hours later and he rang the dentist and said 'what the hell have you done to her??' my usual dentist came to the phone and said its possible but rare that l may of had a reaction to the injection.....and he would make a note not to give me that injection again.........l never went back......... :hidesbehindsofa:

3 years later l was in agony again this time with impacted wisdom teeth that mr nice dentist had told me really needed removing......... l looked about for a dentist that delt with nervous patients and found someone close to home again l was xrayed and told yes there impacted they need to come out l was giving antibiotics known there was noway l was getting them out and noway l was going back!! :hidesbehindsofa:

So here we are a nother few years later.. 1 wisdom tooth fully through with no probs another wisdom tooth 3/4 through with fingers crossed no problems apart from when it was doing its fastest growing, (erupting cysts) and my other 2 wisdoms finally pushing through the gums and at  the age of 40!! and one gaping massive hole where a filling fell out approx 2 years ago... I spend alot of money buying all the right stuff for my mouth but time has caught me up and no matter what product l buy....... it cant stop the pain of the gaping hole   :censored: for approx 8 weeks now l have used ambesol soaked in cotton wool and stuffed it into my tooth the pain has been horrendous ..........still is so approx 6 weeks ago l plucked up the courage well the pain gave me the courage to find another dentist l could not cope with the pain any longer even thought about getting drunk and pulling the tooth out myself even though it is not slack YIKES! This new dentist is lovely shes young and obviously been trained to deal with patients like me she does xrays the usual check up gives me antibiotics and arranges to see me in a few weeks time to start treatment........ only when its my turn she is off sick so any treatment is now another 2 weeks away and in the meantime the holey tooth is going NUTS!! Brushing eases the pain if only for a short while l am still stuffing cotton wool covered in bonjela into the hole now paracetemol does not work it never did..... l even went to see my gp who gave me some strong painkillers so l could enjoy my holiday.... l also have hyperthyroidism (graves) and that could explain my nervousness too l have been getting treated for nearly 2 years and l am still hyper my free t 4 level is nearly twice what it should be l am scared when l do go for treatment something bad will happen although the doc says its fine to have treatment whilst hyper............ Help why is nothing straight forward with me?  My appointment is due 9th June (world cup day) l dont think l can wait till then there isnt a pain in the world that can compare to mouth pain......... is there?

Grumpy, scared, fed up, bad tempered, feverish, weak, no interest in anything, depressed, sad, aggriavted, sore, tortured ....... a few words to describe mouth pain......

5th. June.... l am in agony again l was awoken by my 'mouth' at 5.09 a.m like every other morning for the past 6 days...the pain persisted no matter what...... ive rang the dentist and told them l do need to see someone today l am in hell  :( I have an appointment for 4.15 p.m there squashing me inbetween patients... ive been told the dentist might do something temporary. l dont think l want that l cant go on like this l think it would be best removed and the pain taken with it. I cant even cry it hurts too much.

Im scared at the moment the pain is keeping me brave but l know when l go l will be shaking my heart will be going beserk ....it dont help that l already have a racing heart due to graves disease and l cannot take beta blockers as l had an adverse reaction to them........... l,m sick of been me, l really really am.

I dont believe this!! :devilish: l was really brave got 2 non epi injections and guess what? ..........I DIDNT FREEZE!! :censored: i CANT BELIEVE IT!!! Somebody somewhere dont want me to have this bloody tooth sorted! Because they know lm nervous l was taking into the room straight away and she agreed it would be best removed cos theres no guarantee root canal etc will work... the first needle to the side of my gum didnt hurt one bit but the 2nd one into the roof of my mouth was horrible :( she said it woudl hurt and she wernt lying!! I sat outside for 15 mins and did feel a little numb but could still feel inside my mouth... went back into the room and told her l wasnt numb which she also discovered when she had a prod..... l go back Friday to have the needle with the epi in she is great l really like her and trust her she told me she will inject me slowly to try to prevent the fast heart rate etc l feel safe with her... l have antibiotics and have just bought some oil of cloves as l havnt tried that yet :rolleyes: must go i am in agony but l will be back if anyone would liek to comment l would liket hat cheers xx

Ps tried jack daniels in the hole on cotton wool... when l came home its worked for an hour lol

Slept like a baby thanks to trying oil of cloves only when l got up l went straight back to hell lm hurting really bad  l cant get any relief no matter what l try this morning gawd please soembody what can l do ?????????????/ please anybody l cant take no more

ps excuse my typos its the pain its making me rush.

my normal soothers no longer work brushing my teeth... using bonjela sensodyne l cant bear anything in my mouth at all :censored: and the oil of cloves is doing nothing but making me slaver bucket loads please someone can you help me ?

Hi there :welcome:, sorry to hear you're in such agony :(.

What painkillers are you taking at present? The best ones tend to be NSAIDs (ketaprofen or ibuprofen), unless you can't take them (e. g. if you suffer from asthma).

i don't have alot of knowledge on injections but why would you have to
get an injection on the roof of you mouth? Wouldn't injection on each side
of the tooth be enough? I've heard some dentists and patients say its not
necessary to inject the top of your mouth.

Sorry you are in such pain.

Elaine, Dallas Tx

Thanks guys for the comments.. im taking paracetemol and just started codeine phosphate what l got off the doc boy l couldnt be a druggie dont like them at all!! Cant take iburofen they hurt my stomach l have no idea why she injected the roof of my mouth but she did do the side of the tooth too that didnt hurt one bit that one but the other one did :( my hands were rising in the air the harder it got \:( My mouth isnt as bad tonight (fingers crossed) its more aggrivating than anything else l managed to cry this morning well moan more than anything l was ready for smacking my tooth with a hammer! Its amazing what the right amount of pain can do for you :cry: well oil of cloves does nothing for me at all so its back to sensodyne on cotton wool.. the best thing to come out of all this is l will never ever again let my teeth get to this point ever again it could of been prevented if l had gone and got the filling sorted out when it fell out! I think if l can get through 9.30 Friday morning l wont ever be as scared again.. l only need 2 small fillings too after l have the 'holey one' removed and a scale and polish which is better than l was expecting! :p anyway lm still nervous for Friday if l last that long :( couldnt put another morning in like today that was the worst ever! Im actually at the dentist again tommorow to take my daughter l feel so ashamed she hasnt been for along time because of my fear :redface: its disgusting l coudlnt even look into a dentists whilst passing it used to make me feel physically sick l guess ive come along way? Its the pain lol l wont ever do this again thanks guys xx

Oh sweetie... no one should have to go through that kind of pain.

:grouphug:

Friday draws closer every moment.

Thanks hotrod for the reminder about Friday LOL :censored: haha well slept all night till 6.30 a.m mouth felt good which was a surprise  :jump: now its just the aggrivating pain which l can handle ive still got my cottonwool in and sensodyne so that helps l wish l had found this site years ago l really do it would of helped me no end l would of coaxed myself to go after reading everyones posts about how far dentistrys come on and how most dentists totally understand l know they dont deliberatly set out ot cause you pain its just pure fear for me l think tis not been in control like when your mouths frozen l like to be in charge of me if you know what lm saying l dont like reactions happening in my body that l cant control and stop does this make sense? Just a short one as l have to get sorted before l pick my young one up for her dental visit keep your fingers crossed for us ;)_ l really hope she dont need anything done thank you all your wonderful xxx

lm scared said:
Thanks hotrod for the reminder about Friday LOL :censored:

LOL!!!! :p OOps. Just meant that hopefully the pain will soon be completely over after this appointment. ;)

I will forgive you hotrod lol :grouphug: shhhhhhhhhhh but listen to this ........lve got no pain at all tonight sssssshhhhh :-* ... lm still going Friday l am not suffering again... took little one and her teeth need no work other than a brace to correct an overbite? bottom teeth nearly come over the top she says now is a great age to correct this l took her to docs about it years ago and he said it was ok dentist said it would of been fine years ago but needs corrected now as she grows l felt gulity about that even though l know it would be at this age they would do the brace at the ontidonti-somethings the dental nurse said to me 'its nice to see you come in looking relaxed instead of terrifed '! lol l said dont hold your breath its not my turn hahahahaha Feeling alittle more confident now l think just been in the surroundings a few times before anything what l call big been done (getting the black hole out of my mouth lol) makes me feel more at ease and yes hotrod friday is nearly here... lm sure l wont be lol (ing) tommorow night YIKES! :censored: BUT l will defo be back to tell you all how it went thanks again xxx

Hi guys well another  10 hours approx and the minging tooth will be coming out... lve been ok today went and got my blood done for my hosp appnt next week for my very overactive cant be tamed thyroid and it reminded me of the needles l will surely get tommorow :( lve got palpatations tonight in my throat area so no matter how much l think lm not thinking about tommorow l obviously am  :censored: will be back later x ps hotrod lm Denise too :)

GOOD LUCK, DENISE!!!

All of us here are behind you 100%. :XXLhug:

Just think -- by this time tomorrow, it will be all over.

:hidesbehindsofa:

:drool: I DID IT !!! I REALLY DID!!! :jump: Got there after my hubby and daughter had been making drill noises and laughing all morning the horrible gits receptionist then said 'its not your appointment till the 14th! :o l said 'no when it was cancelled you gave me the 9th and l remembered as it was world cup day.. she got the dentists down and she said lets get it out well after all the cancellations etc l thought this is an omen l mustnt be meant to get it out today l got ont he chair and burst out crying l felt so stupid but she was really nice ... anyway got the injections and she took it out in one piece l couldnt beleive the size of the roots! :o ive brought it home lol all that pain and suffering for what 5/10 mins from start to finish :scared: l will never ever let me teeth get bad again honestly if your reading this and terrfiied l; swear to god it was nothing l might have to get another one out as l have 2 teeth very close together that she just cant get into drill............. l can handle it the only weird thing was the crackling noises it made me laugh now thats a first thank you all whom have reassured me anybody scared feel free to ask me anything you want thank you all ever so much l will be back later thank you xxx

Thank you Denise :jump: l feel really great no pain at all...! :jump: l am so happy l want to let everyone know its not the nightmare you think it is l cannot stop smiling (well half smile gums swollen but not painful after the pain l did have lol) l am so happy :) Thanks again xxx

Hi all :censored: well finished treatment off today and l went in shaking like a leaf :( I was flat on my back in chair for nearly an hour while the lovely dentist drilled away 3 compacted teeth it was horrible having one removed is alot more plesant :( l was like a quivering wreck when l came out l had 4 needles too... maybe l was like this as lve had my antithyroid medication increased to 600mg ptu which is very very high that high my endo has never prescribed it before! :o and l only increased Saturday gone.... so anyone scared l did it with medical problems and you can do l can honestly say im thankful l do not go back until 6 months time the 3 teeth that were squashed together had decay and she made a point of teeling em it wernt my fault cause nothign could fit inbetween the gaps in these teeth l often wondered why it hurt to floss them :censored: it was a struggle getting the floss in feeling alittle better she did tell me my mouth will be sore for a few days as she had to drill in to the gums :( my mouth tastes like chemical Ali's underpants! :cheers: hahaha sorry for the description LOL anyway just thought ld let you know lm still about and havnt deserted the boards xxx ps can anyone tell me how to change my password please? I forgot it and got sent a new one what l will never ever remember lol cheers xx

Congratulations - well done. Thanks for sharing. :jump:

Back