• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Im VERY scared...please help

D

Deleted member 11459

Former Member
Hey. I have a few top teeth that need out. Especially the maxillar tooth on the top right and the tooth ppl call vampire tooth. I am so scared. I feel like im gonna die or something is gonna happen to me when i get that numbing shot. I always think that its gonna stop my heart and the tooth being pulled is going to do something wrong to my body. I just need someone to talk to and help me get through this. I need the encouragement to just for once pick the phone up and call the dentist to make the appointment before i start hurting even worse than i am. Im 33 years old and i feel like a big baby about this.. Just wish i could be like a normal person and walk in with hardly any fear and get the teeth extracted i need done. Thank you for reading my post.

Hey! Your fears are not uncommon, though they're not based very much on reality either, but that's what a phobia is! An irrational fear. :p

So, tooth extractions are fairly simple and quick procedures, believe it or not. Simpler and quicker than a filling! There's no possible way the numbing shot will stop your heart. There is a tiny tiny chance someone might have a bad reaction to it, but they don't drop dead! It just makes them feel ill.

The tooth being pulled won't do anything bad to your body. Your body is built to deal with small wounds like a tooth coming out. It can definitely handle this. It's better for your body to get bad teeth removed anyway.

Honestly, getting a tooth extracted is statistically safer than say...getting in a car. But we're not scared to get in a car, are we? We're used to cars though, and the dentist involves the unknown, and putting your trust in someone else. But it's never as scary as it is in our head when we're imagining everything that could go wrong.

I promise you will be fine. I am not a particularly healthy person, with some health problems, and I had full extractions (every tooth) under general anesthetic. If my not-very-healthy body can handle that, yours can definitely handle this. ;)

I'm sorry. I've had more numbing shots to count. Probably hundreds over the years.

If anything you will feel better. An infected tooth is not good for your body.

I've had a few large molar extractions and they are not that bad! I swear!

Back