• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Immediate dentures after full extraction.

Y

Yvanna

Hi there, I am here to ask about a problem I am having with one of my new dentures. Getting the work done that I just have has taken a considerable amount of courage for me and I think something with one is not right but given my problems over the years with dental treatment, I find it very hard to be assert myself once I get in there. I would really like to have some idea of whether I am right - or if I should just be expecting the amount of pain I have been having.

All of my teeth were removed four days ago and immediate dentures - top and bottom, were fitted.
As per the instructions from the dentist - and the chap who made my dentures, I did not remove the dentures at all during the next 24 hrs.
The next morning I went back to see the dentist and she removed both to check everything and she adjusted a couple of rubbing points.
I told her that there were a few points at the bottom that were very sore. In fact, when she removed the bottom one I was in tears. She told me that bottom dentures were extremely well fitted which is often not the case and she was reluctant to make changes. She also told me she couldnt see the problem points.
It took me 45 mins to get the bottom denture back in - it was so sore.
The pain just got worse from there - and in the same about 3 spots although one spot was especially painful and I could probably manage the others without this one.
As per the dentists instructions, I removed the dentures that night - and after a considerable amount of pain and crying, got them back in the next morning (that was just the bottom ones btw - the top ones were uncomfortable but nothing worse). I left them in the whole day - and half the night.
As the day went on they became more and more uncomfortable and taking them out late that night had me crying again.
Yesterday was Sunday and although I made myself try to put them in several times during the day, it was so painful that I just couldnt make myself do it. In fact I just stayed gummy for a large part of the day only putting my top ones in later in the afternoon.
This morning I called the dentures place asking to go in early.
The receptionist was very clearly unhappy with me. She informed me that she was only able to give me a time because someone had cancelled and apparently I should not have been taking them out for extended periods - including sleeping.
My feeling is ... I was told to take them out for sleep, if swelling was such a large issue I would have expected to have problems with the top ones too...? and I really didn't think the pain should be to the point that I am crying trying to get them in. :(
I have felt around the problem areas and noticed that there are small sharp pieces of bone sticking out in about three places along the front of my lower gum - and two of these are problem areas.
I am scared to go back, and not sure if I am being unrealistic but really do not want to be going into work without my teeth in ... and after taking 5 years to get the courage together to do this, I really want things to work.

Many apologies for the huge book ... any help would be greatly appreciated!

Well, turns out the small bits of bone were a red herring. :) They are still there and I guess will have to work their way out.
The pain however, came from some very nasty ulcers - which I couldn't easily see.
After my visits to the doctor and the chap who makes the dentures, I have antibiotics for sinusitis, paste for ulcers to use at night and my dentures are both in and no longer hurt so much. :)
I ate a little on them tonight and will be back to see the dentures chap again later in the week.
He told me that they fitted a little too well - and both he and the doctor told me they would rather make an extra space for me in the schedule than have me left so sore.
Thanks for the space to rant and stress out. ;)
And to anyone else going through this ... apparently no, it shouldn't hurt so much and although it's hard to hold on to it at the time, asking for it to be sorted is perfectly reasonable. :jump:

Back